Dual Socket 939 X2 boards?

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
has anyone seen them, i was thinking about the price cuts then thought i could get a dual socket board that would support another 4400 X2 but i havnt been able to find any.

anyone kno if there are any or if there planned?

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
like i say i hadnt found any but that doesnt mean that they dont exist, just wondered if anyone had seen them.

They do NOT exist. Period. If you had an Opteron you could do it depnding on the Opteron processor, 939 does not support this configuration. AM2 may depending on the processeor (4x4) odds are it will be limited to the higher end processors (FX series).

Anyhow you cannot do what you were thinking is possible as everyone has said...

PhoenixKnight

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Athlon 64's lack the 2nd hypertransport link that would be required for inter-processor communication. That's the same thing that prevents Opteron 1xx chips from working in dual processor configurations on dual-socket 940 boards.

Face it, there are simply no dual-socket 939's and there never will be. Doing so would require plenty of changes to both the processor and motherboard architecture, which is basically what AMD is doing with 4x4 on socket AM2 (and only socket AM2). And even then you'll need to buy a new type of processor designed specifically for dual-processor 4x4 configurations.

NaDa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
Athlon is a desktop processor.

Opterons are workstation and server processors.
They come as 1xx, 2xx and 8xx series.

The 1xx series is one way and its socket 939 like the Athlons (onley one proc on the mobo).
The 2xx series you can put 2 on a specialized mobo (these are socket 940), try Tyan mobos.

And there is the 8xx series for 8 CPUs on a mobo.

Those 2 way mobos are really expensive and require registered memory (expensive to).

Wait for Kentsfield if you need 4 cores!