Myst V

Having spent hours downloading the Myst V demo, and then downloading updated
graphics and audio drivers, I must admit however when I tried to paly it I
was unimpressed. I have higher specs than their recommended specs but still
it ran slowly and jerkily at times. I have faithfully bought all the
previous versions of Myst and was looking forward to this last one - but the
movement was unpredictable to say the least, the backgrounds not nearly as
beautifully rendered as all of the others, and the puzzles - well they
simply didn't make any sense and were not in the slightest bit intuitive.

This is a real shame as Myst had a tried and tested formula - if it ain't
broke, don't fix it. Why did they change the format?

They have lost me as a customer.
11 answers Last reply
More about myst
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    "Linda Adams" <l_j_adams1001@removethisyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Having spent hours downloading the Myst V demo, and then downloading
    > updated
    > graphics and audio drivers, I must admit however when I tried to paly it I
    > was unimpressed. I have higher specs than their recommended specs but
    > still
    > it ran slowly and jerkily at times. I have faithfully bought all the
    > previous versions of Myst and was looking forward to this last one - but
    > the
    > movement was unpredictable to say the least, the backgrounds not nearly as
    > beautifully rendered as all of the others, and the puzzles - well they
    > simply didn't make any sense and were not in the slightest bit intuitive.
    >
    > This is a real shame as Myst had a tried and tested formula - if it ain't
    > broke, don't fix it. Why did they change the format?
    >
    > They have lost me as a customer.

    I must say that my experience was quite different. My processor speed is
    actually slower than recommended, (My machine is powered by a 1.2 GHz
    Athlon) but the demo ran quite well for me. I experienced no jerkiness, and
    the surroundings were, in my opinion, quite beautiful.

    The main puzzle in this demo was quite complex, but after a lot of trying
    and a fair number of notes, I was able to complete it. I felt the puzzle was
    fitted to the environment in much the same way as those in Riven, and I felt
    quite satisfied after completing it.

    You may have other problems with your computer, making the surroundings look
    poor and obliterating some clues that are vital to solving the puzzle.

    I am really looking forward to Myst V; I may even go back and complete Myst
    IV - Revelation. I have completed all of the Myst games except Revelation.
    That one I simply gave up on; those puzzles in Dream made me want to
    scream!!

    Bob
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    Bob wrote:

    > I must say that my experience was quite different. My processor speed
    > is actually slower than recommended, (My machine is powered by a 1.2
    > GHz Athlon) but the demo ran quite well for me. I experienced no
    > jerkiness, and the surroundings were, in my opinion, quite beautiful.

    I'm interested that you managed to get it to run on a 1.2GHz processor.
    Mine's 1.3, but I was having problems. I think it may, however, have been
    due to me only having 256MB RAM. I did close every other program on my
    laptop, but it wasn't happy.

    I think I'll have to wait a few years before I have the resources to play
    the game :o(

    --

    ziL
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    "ziL" <news@purplepenguin.net> wrote in message
    > Bob wrote:
    >
    >> I must say that my experience was quite different. My processor speed
    >> is actually slower than recommended, (My machine is powered by a 1.2
    >> GHz Athlon) but the demo ran quite well for me. I experienced no
    >> jerkiness, and the surroundings were, in my opinion, quite beautiful.
    >
    > I'm interested that you managed to get it to run on a 1.2GHz processor.
    > Mine's 1.3, but I was having problems. I think it may, however, have been
    > due to me only having 256MB RAM. I did close every other program on my
    > laptop, but it wasn't happy.
    >
    > I think I'll have to wait a few years before I have the resources to play
    > the game :o(
    >
    > --
    >
    > ziL

    I did a little checking, I am running 512 Meg of ram, and I had upgraded the
    video card so I could run URU. IIRC, the video card is an ATI Radeon 9600,
    with 128 Meg of video memory.

    Bob
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    Bob wrote:
    > "ziL" <news@purplepenguin.net> wrote in message

    >> I'm interested that you managed to get it to run on a 1.2GHz
    >> processor. Mine's 1.3, but I was having problems. I think it may,
    >> however, have been due to me only having 256MB RAM. I did close
    >> every other program on my laptop, but it wasn't happy.
    >>
    >> I think I'll have to wait a few years before I have the resources to
    >> play the game :o(
    >
    > I did a little checking, I am running 512 Meg of ram, and I had
    > upgraded the video card so I could run URU. IIRC, the video card is
    > an ATI Radeon 9600, with 128 Meg of video memory.

    Ah.... Mine's a Radeon 9000 (I've no idea how to find out how much video
    memory). Mm, the total combination is a much poorer spec, bringing me back
    to having to wait a few years to play :o)

    --

    ziL
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    "ziL" <news@purplepenguin.net> wrote in message
    > Bob wrote:
    >
    > > I must say that my experience was quite different. My processor speed
    > > is actually slower than recommended, (My machine is powered by a 1.2
    > > GHz Athlon) but the demo ran quite well for me. I experienced no
    > > jerkiness, and the surroundings were, in my opinion, quite beautiful.
    >
    > I'm interested that you managed to get it to run on a 1.2GHz processor.
    > Mine's 1.3, but I was having problems. I think it may, however, have been
    > due to me only having 256MB RAM. I did close every other program on my
    > laptop, but it wasn't happy.
    >
    > I think I'll have to wait a few years before I have the resources to play
    > the game :o(
    >
    > --
    >
    > ziL

    If you look at the small print at the bottom of the page
    http://shop.ubi.com/Prod_ExtDesc.asp?catalogid=304&id=20
    you will see that Ubisoft do not guarantee that the game will run on all
    laptops.
    However they hint that patches may be released later.
    Nick.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    <snip>

    > The main puzzle in this demo was quite complex, but after a lot
    > of trying and a fair number of notes, I was able to complete it.
    > I felt the puzzle was fitted to the environment in much the same
    > way as those in Riven, and I felt
    > quite satisfied after completing it.

    I thought it was easier to solve by trial and error.

    After I figured out how one was supposed to solve it I
    went back and took a anouther look and decided it wasn´t
    worth the effort of doing it the right way.

    I felt that way about a lot of the puzzles in the game,
    (I just finished the full game after three days more or less
    full time.), it was just more efficient to run around pushing
    things and see what happend than to try to figure things out
    in advance.

    Where I got stuck was mostly in not having found the right
    thing to push or write on the slate and in a few cases having
    what I wrote misunderstood, I came across the puzzle in the demo
    from the wrong direction and accidently skipped a whole age by
    having the symbols I wrote misinterpreted.

    The game seemed a bit short but it had a satisfying ending
    even if I did stumble on it by accident, it was what I wanted
    to do but I had been planning on putting it off for a while.

    <snip>

    > I am really looking forward to Myst V; I may even go back and
    > complete Myst IV -Revelation. I have completed all of the Myst
    > games except Revelation. That one I simply gave up on; those
    > puzzles in Dream made me want to scream!!

    Oh good (?), I have some more to look forward to, I thought I was
    almost finished, it was the controls on Spire that caused me to
    give up, I just got through that thanks to help from this group
    just to discover that though I had finished Haven and nearly
    finished Serena I didn't have them all solved in the same game
    so I might have to go through some of that again, unless I can
    just use the codes from the end of Spire and Haven without
    resolving them.

    Eric
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    "Bob" wrote
    > I am really looking forward to Myst V; I may even go back and complete
    Myst
    > IV - Revelation. I have completed all of the Myst games except Revelation.
    > That one I simply gave up on; those puzzles in Dream made me want to
    > scream!!
    >
    > Bob
    Same here, i stopped myst 4 for a few months because i disliked the whole
    serenia level because its very vague and the puzzles of that level
    frustrated me more then once. On the other hand the rest i liked much better
    tomahna, haven and spire.
    I have played the myst 5 demo and im interested in playing the rest of that
    game. So first i want to finish the last rubbish of revalation and then buy
    the new myst 5 game. I also have every myst game, and played every one of
    them, that is available: myst, realmyst (myst in 3D), riven, exile, uru,
    myst 4.

    My opinion is that timebased puzzles or puzzles control of mouse and timing
    is very important (mangree call sound puzzle) dont belong in a myst game.
    Myst has to be about solving puzzles, not on how good your control with your
    mouse or keyboard is (in myst, riven, exile was it the way it should be).

    gr

    D.J.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    "anm" <geenemail@ivmspam.nl> wrote in message
    >> Bob
    > Same here, i stopped myst 4 for a few months because i disliked the whole
    > serenia level because its very vague and the puzzles of that level
    > frustrated me more then once. On the other hand the rest i liked much
    > better
    > tomahna, haven and spire.

    Some parts of Serinia I liked, like manipulating mechanical devices to
    redirecting water flow. The part I really disliked was the "Rubic's Cube"
    like puzzles in Dream. I'm sure some people really like them, but I have
    never been any good at that type of puzzle, and tend to get very bored with
    them. I like exploring and manipulating mechanical and electrical devices
    much better.

    > I have played the myst 5 demo and im interested in playing the rest of
    > that
    > game. So first i want to finish the last rubbish of revalation and then
    > buy
    > the new myst 5 game. I also have every myst game, and played every one of
    > them, that is available: myst, realmyst (myst in 3D), riven, exile, uru,
    > myst 4.
    >
    > My opinion is that timebased puzzles or puzzles control of mouse and
    > timing
    > is very important (mangree call sound puzzle) dont belong in a myst game.
    > Myst has to be about solving puzzles, not on how good your control with
    > your
    > mouse or keyboard is (in myst, riven, exile was it the way it should be).
    >
    > gr
    >
    > D.J.

    I'll ditto this last statement. There were two extremely frustrating Mangree
    call sign puzzles, and a major clue to solving them could only be obtained
    after the first was already solved. I can't tell you how long I wandered
    around Heaven listening for anything that sounded like sounds those devices
    made.

    I really don't want to put the whole game down; most of it was very good.
    The graphics and effects were outstanding and there are probably lots of
    people who love the puzzles I hated and vice/versa.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    Nick wrote:

    >Ubisoft do not guarantee that the game will run on all laptops.

    What is Myst V's native resolution, or its maximum resolution, and if
    you want to have the correct aspect ratio on a widescreen monitor do
    you have to accept the black bars on the sides of the screen?
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    Athlon 64 FX-53, X800 Pro, 1GigRAM.. runs on full settings, full FSAA. Runs
    great.
    I think the ram has alot to do with it.

    > Having spent hours downloading the Myst V demo, and then downloading
    > updated
    > graphics and audio drivers, I must admit however when I tried to paly it I
    > was unimpressed. I have higher specs than their recommended specs but
    > still
    > it ran slowly and jerkily at times. I have faithfully bought all the
    > previous versions of Myst and was looking forward to this last one - but
    > the
    > movement was unpredictable to say the least, the backgrounds not nearly as
    > beautifully rendered as all of the others, and the puzzles - well they
    > simply didn't make any sense and were not in the slightest bit intuitive.
    >
    > This is a real shame as Myst had a tried and tested formula - if it ain't
    > broke, don't fix it. Why did they change the format?
    >
    > They have lost me as a customer.

  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    Drew wrote:

    >Athlon 64 FX-53, X800 Pro, 1GigRAM.. runs on full settings, full FSAA.
    >Runs great. I think the ram has a lot to do with it.

    Can you see a difference if you move the anti-aliasing slider all the
    way to the right? What about the other one, anisotropic filtering?
    Did you move it or leave at default? What does "wait for vertical
    sync" mean? I didn't check that box. I'm sending 1280x720 resolution
    to a 42" widescreen plasma from a laptop, analog through VGA.

Video Games