Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Myst V

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 8:32:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

Having spent hours downloading the Myst V demo, and then downloading updated
graphics and audio drivers, I must admit however when I tried to paly it I
was unimpressed. I have higher specs than their recommended specs but still
it ran slowly and jerkily at times. I have faithfully bought all the
previous versions of Myst and was looking forward to this last one - but the
movement was unpredictable to say the least, the backgrounds not nearly as
beautifully rendered as all of the others, and the puzzles - well they
simply didn't make any sense and were not in the slightest bit intuitive.

This is a real shame as Myst had a tried and tested formula - if it ain't
broke, don't fix it. Why did they change the format?

They have lost me as a customer.

More about : myst

September 5, 2005 4:42:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

"Linda Adams" <l_j_adams1001@removethisyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D feev6$2lu$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> Having spent hours downloading the Myst V demo, and then downloading
> updated
> graphics and audio drivers, I must admit however when I tried to paly it I
> was unimpressed. I have higher specs than their recommended specs but
> still
> it ran slowly and jerkily at times. I have faithfully bought all the
> previous versions of Myst and was looking forward to this last one - but
> the
> movement was unpredictable to say the least, the backgrounds not nearly as
> beautifully rendered as all of the others, and the puzzles - well they
> simply didn't make any sense and were not in the slightest bit intuitive.
>
> This is a real shame as Myst had a tried and tested formula - if it ain't
> broke, don't fix it. Why did they change the format?
>
> They have lost me as a customer.
>

I must say that my experience was quite different. My processor speed is
actually slower than recommended, (My machine is powered by a 1.2 GHz
Athlon) but the demo ran quite well for me. I experienced no jerkiness, and
the surroundings were, in my opinion, quite beautiful.

The main puzzle in this demo was quite complex, but after a lot of trying
and a fair number of notes, I was able to complete it. I felt the puzzle was
fitted to the environment in much the same way as those in Riven, and I felt
quite satisfied after completing it.

You may have other problems with your computer, making the surroundings look
poor and obliterating some clues that are vital to solving the puzzle.

I am really looking forward to Myst V; I may even go back and complete Myst
IV - Revelation. I have completed all of the Myst games except Revelation.
That one I simply gave up on; those puzzles in Dream made me want to
scream!!

Bob
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 10:47:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

Bob wrote:

> I must say that my experience was quite different. My processor speed
> is actually slower than recommended, (My machine is powered by a 1.2
> GHz Athlon) but the demo ran quite well for me. I experienced no
> jerkiness, and the surroundings were, in my opinion, quite beautiful.

I'm interested that you managed to get it to run on a 1.2GHz processor.
Mine's 1.3, but I was having problems. I think it may, however, have been
due to me only having 256MB RAM. I did close every other program on my
laptop, but it wasn't happy.

I think I'll have to wait a few years before I have the resources to play
the game :o (

--

ziL
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 5, 2005 12:52:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

"ziL" <news@purplepenguin.net> wrote in message
news:D fgpok$btr$1@odyssey.colin-jones.co.uk...
> Bob wrote:
>
>> I must say that my experience was quite different. My processor speed
>> is actually slower than recommended, (My machine is powered by a 1.2
>> GHz Athlon) but the demo ran quite well for me. I experienced no
>> jerkiness, and the surroundings were, in my opinion, quite beautiful.
>
> I'm interested that you managed to get it to run on a 1.2GHz processor.
> Mine's 1.3, but I was having problems. I think it may, however, have been
> due to me only having 256MB RAM. I did close every other program on my
> laptop, but it wasn't happy.
>
> I think I'll have to wait a few years before I have the resources to play
> the game :o (
>
> --
>
> ziL

I did a little checking, I am running 512 Meg of ram, and I had upgraded the
video card so I could run URU. IIRC, the video card is an ATI Radeon 9600,
with 128 Meg of video memory.

Bob
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 4:14:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

Bob wrote:
> "ziL" <news@purplepenguin.net> wrote in message
> news:D fgpok$btr$1@odyssey.colin-jones.co.uk...

>> I'm interested that you managed to get it to run on a 1.2GHz
>> processor. Mine's 1.3, but I was having problems. I think it may,
>> however, have been due to me only having 256MB RAM. I did close
>> every other program on my laptop, but it wasn't happy.
>>
>> I think I'll have to wait a few years before I have the resources to
>> play the game :o (
>
> I did a little checking, I am running 512 Meg of ram, and I had
> upgraded the video card so I could run URU. IIRC, the video card is
> an ATI Radeon 9600, with 128 Meg of video memory.

Ah.... Mine's a Radeon 9000 (I've no idea how to find out how much video
memory). Mm, the total combination is a much poorer spec, bringing me back
to having to wait a few years to play :o )

--

ziL
September 5, 2005 5:35:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

"ziL" <news@purplepenguin.net> wrote in message
news:D fgpok$btr$1@odyssey.colin-jones.co.uk...
> Bob wrote:
>
> > I must say that my experience was quite different. My processor speed
> > is actually slower than recommended, (My machine is powered by a 1.2
> > GHz Athlon) but the demo ran quite well for me. I experienced no
> > jerkiness, and the surroundings were, in my opinion, quite beautiful.
>
> I'm interested that you managed to get it to run on a 1.2GHz processor.
> Mine's 1.3, but I was having problems. I think it may, however, have been
> due to me only having 256MB RAM. I did close every other program on my
> laptop, but it wasn't happy.
>
> I think I'll have to wait a few years before I have the resources to play
> the game :o (
>
> --
>
> ziL
>
>
If you look at the small print at the bottom of the page
http://shop.ubi.com/Prod_ExtDesc.asp?catalogid=304&id=2...
you will see that Ubisoft do not guarantee that the game will run on all
laptops.
However they hint that patches may be released later.
Nick.
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 5:17:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

<snip>

> The main puzzle in this demo was quite complex, but after a lot
> of trying and a fair number of notes, I was able to complete it.
> I felt the puzzle was fitted to the environment in much the same
> way as those in Riven, and I felt
> quite satisfied after completing it.

I thought it was easier to solve by trial and error.

After I figured out how one was supposed to solve it I
went back and took a anouther look and decided it wasn´t
worth the effort of doing it the right way.

I felt that way about a lot of the puzzles in the game,
(I just finished the full game after three days more or less
full time.), it was just more efficient to run around pushing
things and see what happend than to try to figure things out
in advance.

Where I got stuck was mostly in not having found the right
thing to push or write on the slate and in a few cases having
what I wrote misunderstood, I came across the puzzle in the demo
from the wrong direction and accidently skipped a whole age by
having the symbols I wrote misinterpreted.

The game seemed a bit short but it had a satisfying ending
even if I did stumble on it by accident, it was what I wanted
to do but I had been planning on putting it off for a while.

<snip>

> I am really looking forward to Myst V; I may even go back and
> complete Myst IV -Revelation. I have completed all of the Myst
> games except Revelation. That one I simply gave up on; those
> puzzles in Dream made me want to scream!!

Oh good (?), I have some more to look forward to, I thought I was
almost finished, it was the controls on Spire that caused me to
give up, I just got through that thanks to help from this group
just to discover that though I had finished Haven and nearly
finished Serena I didn't have them all solved in the same game
so I might have to go through some of that again, unless I can
just use the codes from the end of Spire and Haven without
resolving them.

Eric
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 10:09:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

"Bob" wrote
> I am really looking forward to Myst V; I may even go back and complete
Myst
> IV - Revelation. I have completed all of the Myst games except Revelation.
> That one I simply gave up on; those puzzles in Dream made me want to
> scream!!
>
> Bob
Same here, i stopped myst 4 for a few months because i disliked the whole
serenia level because its very vague and the puzzles of that level
frustrated me more then once. On the other hand the rest i liked much better
tomahna, haven and spire.
I have played the myst 5 demo and im interested in playing the rest of that
game. So first i want to finish the last rubbish of revalation and then buy
the new myst 5 game. I also have every myst game, and played every one of
them, that is available: myst, realmyst (myst in 3D), riven, exile, uru,
myst 4.

My opinion is that timebased puzzles or puzzles control of mouse and timing
is very important (mangree call sound puzzle) dont belong in a myst game.
Myst has to be about solving puzzles, not on how good your control with your
mouse or keyboard is (in myst, riven, exile was it the way it should be).

gr

D.J.
September 22, 2005 4:56:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

"anm" <geenemail@ivmspam.nl> wrote in message
news:432ee2c7$0$96399$dbd4b001@news.wanadoo.nl...
>> Bob
> Same here, i stopped myst 4 for a few months because i disliked the whole
> serenia level because its very vague and the puzzles of that level
> frustrated me more then once. On the other hand the rest i liked much
> better
> tomahna, haven and spire.

Some parts of Serinia I liked, like manipulating mechanical devices to
redirecting water flow. The part I really disliked was the "Rubic's Cube"
like puzzles in Dream. I'm sure some people really like them, but I have
never been any good at that type of puzzle, and tend to get very bored with
them. I like exploring and manipulating mechanical and electrical devices
much better.


> I have played the myst 5 demo and im interested in playing the rest of
> that
> game. So first i want to finish the last rubbish of revalation and then
> buy
> the new myst 5 game. I also have every myst game, and played every one of
> them, that is available: myst, realmyst (myst in 3D), riven, exile, uru,
> myst 4.
>
> My opinion is that timebased puzzles or puzzles control of mouse and
> timing
> is very important (mangree call sound puzzle) dont belong in a myst game.
> Myst has to be about solving puzzles, not on how good your control with
> your
> mouse or keyboard is (in myst, riven, exile was it the way it should be).
>
> gr
>
> D.J.
>
I'll ditto this last statement. There were two extremely frustrating Mangree
call sign puzzles, and a major clue to solving them could only be obtained
after the first was already solved. I can't tell you how long I wandered
around Heaven listening for anything that sounded like sounds those devices
made.

I really don't want to put the whole game down; most of it was very good.
The graphics and effects were outstanding and there are probably lots of
people who love the puzzles I hated and vice/versa.
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 3:16:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

Nick wrote:

>Ubisoft do not guarantee that the game will run on all laptops.

What is Myst V's native resolution, or its maximum resolution, and if
you want to have the correct aspect ratio on a widescreen monitor do
you have to accept the black bars on the sides of the screen?
September 27, 2005 11:09:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

Athlon 64 FX-53, X800 Pro, 1GigRAM.. runs on full settings, full FSAA. Runs
great.
I think the ram has alot to do with it.


> Having spent hours downloading the Myst V demo, and then downloading
> updated
> graphics and audio drivers, I must admit however when I tried to paly it I
> was unimpressed. I have higher specs than their recommended specs but
> still
> it ran slowly and jerkily at times. I have faithfully bought all the
> previous versions of Myst and was looking forward to this last one - but
> the
> movement was unpredictable to say the least, the backgrounds not nearly as
> beautifully rendered as all of the others, and the puzzles - well they
> simply didn't make any sense and were not in the slightest bit intuitive.
>
> This is a real shame as Myst had a tried and tested formula - if it ain't
> broke, don't fix it. Why did they change the format?
>
> They have lost me as a customer.
>
>
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 1:14:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

Drew wrote:

>Athlon 64 FX-53, X800 Pro, 1GigRAM.. runs on full settings, full FSAA.
>Runs great. I think the ram has a lot to do with it.

Can you see a difference if you move the anti-aliasing slider all the
way to the right? What about the other one, anisotropic filtering?
Did you move it or leave at default? What does "wait for vertical
sync" mean? I didn't check that box. I'm sending 1280x720 resolution
to a 42" widescreen plasma from a laptop, analog through VGA.
!