Sign in with
Your question

dx10 or not to dx10, need some advice

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 16, 2006 3:36:09 PM

hi. I was about to purchase a new computer along with a 7950gx2 graphics card. So now that ive looked more into DX10 ive started to wonder if i should wait and get a dx10 card instead of the gx2.

The games I mainly want to play are the new dawn of war expansion when it comes out, Pirates of the burnig sea (released next july 2007), battlefield 2142, and warhammer mark of choas (released in november 06). . My question is; will the abover mentioned games only run on dx9 cards anyway, so if i want them ill stick with getting the gx2. Or if i wait and get the dx10 card, will i be able to play these games on it? From what i have read i though that dx10 cards will only play dx10 games meaning that If more interested in these games, i should get the gx2. However i also wondered how easy/possible it is for the makers of these games to release a dx10 update to allow them to work. I also like the look of Crysis, i think i read that they wil make it work with either cards. thanks

More about : dx10 dx10 advice

September 16, 2006 3:42:01 PM

Save your money and wait, quad cores are comming and global shaders it will be worth the wait.
September 16, 2006 3:59:31 PM

Quote:
hi. I was about to purchase a new computer along with a 7950gx2 graphics card. So now that ive looked more into DX10 ive started to wonder if i should wait and get a dx10 card instead of the gx2.

The games I mainly want to play are the new dawn of war expansion when it comes out, Pirates of the burnig sea (released next july 2007), battlefield 2142, and warhammer mark of choas (released in november 06). . My question is; will the abover mentioned games only run on dx9 cards anyway, so if i want them ill stick with getting the gx2. Or if i wait and get the dx10 card, will i be able to play these games on it? From what i have read i though that dx10 cards will only play dx10 games meaning that If more interested in these games, i should get the gx2. However i also wondered how easy/possible it is for the makers of these games to release a dx10 update to allow them to work. I also like the look of Crysis, i think i read that they wil make it work with either cards. thanks

dx10 can play any older dx games
Related resources
September 16, 2006 4:08:49 PM

dont wait, dx 10 cards wont be here for a while, and they are going to be madly expensive. not to mention the number of games that use dx10 arent going to increase for a good number of years. if you have enough money to get a GX2, just get a X1900xt and wait for the second (or first) wave of dx10 cards.
September 16, 2006 5:40:09 PM

I myself am waiting for DX 10, and for quad core to perhaps drop Conroe prices a bit, as well as RAM production picking back up.
September 16, 2006 5:48:35 PM

hmmm....... thanks for the reply's. Still undecided. I think id rather just get the gx2 as thers so many cool dx9 games coming out soon (UT2007,mark of chaos,bf2142, dawn of war expansion, Just cause) and im sure theres more which i dont know about. Quad cores eh? damn, everytime i get happy about the monster pc im going to get (conroe 6600), it seems it will be outdated sooner.

So dx10 will be compatible with older games?
dx10 cards will run dx9 games????

cos i though that they wernt as the new dx10 code was supposed to get rid of all the backwards compatiblity to make it faster or something.

When is the G80 gunna be released?
September 16, 2006 6:40:09 PM

Quote:
hmmm....... thanks for the reply's. Still undecided. I think id rather just get the gx2 as thers so many cool dx9 games coming out soon (UT2007,mark of chaos,bf2142, dawn of war expansion, Just cause) and im sure theres more which i dont know about. Quad cores eh? damn, everytime i get happy about the monster pc im going to get (conroe 6600), it seems it will be outdated sooner.

So dx10 will be compatible with older games?
dx10 cards will run dx9 games????

cos i though that they wernt as the new dx10 code was supposed to get rid of all the backwards compatiblity to make it faster or something.

When is the G80 gunna be released?

Try this link, it may be of help to you.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA0NSwx...
September 16, 2006 8:59:14 PM

thanks for the link. The thing is, if i wait 3 months till dx10/vista is out, and then get a card, there won't be hardly any games that support it and by the time more incredible looking games come out new cards will be much faster. So i still wouldnt be satisfied and would want one of those. so atleast if i get the gx2 now then when theres enough games that need dx10, the cards will have moved on from the first lot.
September 16, 2006 9:15:22 PM

remember the new cards will also play dx in any order, just cost more but well worth the wait.
September 17, 2006 12:04:13 PM

well after really thinking about it, ill just wait if it's coming out in a month or 2, otherwise buy a cheaper card for now and upgrade later. anyone know a good psu which will be able to handle the dx10 cards?
September 17, 2006 1:19:26 PM

go for any PSU above 700W they should be able to handle the cards well
OR
buy a normal PSU say around 500W and buy an external PSU when the DIRECTX 10 cards come out.
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2006 3:26:41 PM

yes strangestranger is correct you dont need a super high
power psu. any good quality psu should work fine.

if you want the 7950gx2 then look at a good quality 500 watt or
more psu.

dont go and buy a 39$ 500 watt psu though.
September 17, 2006 3:27:58 PM

I don't think anyone knows that answer but I will assume with the extra pipe and shader the cards may need more power, I cant understand why the wait for vista to sell the cards and in some way it is either going be a nice change or a huge problem who friggen knows comeon gcard makers give us the bloody card right now no more bs
September 17, 2006 3:28:06 PM

Quote:
i mean are you trying to say that one of these cards are going to use more than my current crossfire setup.

True, next-gen cards won't use more power than current SLI/CF setups.
September 17, 2006 3:38:25 PM

The GX2 will last you well into the release of DX10 cards, so if you want it now get it now. May as well as you wont want to buy a £300 (guessing here) DX10 card when 3 months later it'll be £200 and probably work better

The GX2 is a treat I can say though, Oblivion full spec (well, at max AA or HDR it gives me 40-50+fps, whilst at 1280 by 780) with 2gig RAM an a 4200 cpu makes me happy :) 
September 17, 2006 4:33:27 PM

Quote:
Save your money and wait, quad cores are comming and global shaders it will be worth the wait.

OOOOO what are these? When? Where? How Much?
September 17, 2006 5:27:31 PM

When, beginning of next year, price is I don't know but I guess around 500 to 700 or less or more, I am guessing from the years of buying parts. Where your local retail store, I suppose. Stranger answered the rest.
September 18, 2006 11:35:35 AM

It could be a good idea to upgrade to a DX10 system just before you're going to install Windows Vista. This allows you to completely sweep the table.
September 18, 2006 11:47:21 PM

everyone is gonna get R4444P3D when they put down 600 for a dx 10 card and realise that there are only 2 or 3 games out that support it. save your money until its an established set up with more then a couple games.

-I wonder if you could take out a x360 graphics card and put it in a computer? as well as get games to run on it. that would kick ass.-
a b U Graphics card
September 18, 2006 11:51:55 PM

the high end and the mid end graphics cards for computers are
better than what is in the x360.

edit; well some of the mid end cards
September 19, 2006 12:37:19 AM

Quote:
thanks for the link. The thing is, if i wait 3 months till dx10/vista is out, and then get a card, there won't be hardly any games that support it and by the time more incredible looking games come out new cards will be much faster. So i still wouldnt be satisfied and would want one of those. so atleast if i get the gx2 now then when theres enough games that need dx10, the cards will have moved on from the first lot.

You can get Vista already, just download the free Release candidate 1 image from microsoft. It times out in mid-2007. Vista is bloated junk though, I went back to XP after about 20 minutes.

...and your 3 months thing is wrong too. The good news is that nVidia will apparently have their DX10 card out around the first two weeks of November.
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34359
September 19, 2006 1:36:17 AM

Currently running Windows VISTA RC 1 right now with an EVGA 7800GT and running DX10.

Just checked to make sure and yes I am currently running DX10.

I can't see how the 7800GT would be able to run DX10 and the 7950 wouldn't.

Only problem I see is that the new cards themself will be made to better utilize DX10.

Honestly I am waiting to upgrade my system till end of this year, beginning of next. I may not even fully upgrade but just get a few pieces of gear here and there that will do me till I get a chance to find out what AMD will answer C2D with. That will decide if I go AMD or Intel..
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2006 1:42:16 AM

scubageek
are you a certified open water diver?

sorry to go off topic
September 19, 2006 10:59:21 AM

Hey, let's compile a list of all known DX10 games.
I've gathered from the Internet that the following games will be DX10: Crysis, Alan Wake, Halo 2, Unreal 3, UT 2007.
September 19, 2006 4:41:27 PM

Scuba, you only have DX10 loaded. Your card is just running DX9 in emulation mode. There aren't any DX10 cards just yet. Most any DX9 card will run Vista, although it has to be strong enough if people want Aero.
!