How to store an inkjet printer, in particular an Epson

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
September 4, 2005 8:31:55 PM

I have an antique Epson 800 that I'm going to retire for a time. It
has been printing w/o issue, but I want to print directly on DVDs, and
at $29US I couldn't turn down an Epson R200.

How should I prepare the 800 for storage? I don't want to be storing
it if the heads are going to clog.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
September 4, 2005 9:34:50 PM

I would imagine storing by inserting a cleaning cartridge giving it a
flush or two and leaving them in, but don't take me as being correct
and feel that this does depend on the amount of time of not being
used.

If you leave them without an ink cartridge they will get an airlock
which, according to Epson will damage the heads, you'll get a load of
ink sitting on a volume of air which just can't be shifted plus the
heads will dry out and clog.

If you leave them with a new cartridge in you'll probably end up with
a load of dried ink in the nozzles.

"It's kinda like being between the devil and the deep blue sea".

Davy
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 3:54:13 AM

Hi,

I'm in agreement with Davy to use cleaning cartridges if you intend to
store longer than 3 months. If you are not going to go that route at least
stick in some fairly new cartridges, place the printer in a plastic trash
bag (additionally I throw in a moist sponge), expell as much air as
possible, and place in a dark closet. Heck you can even put a bowl of water
near it. Under no circumstances should you remove the cartridges, as air
will either eventually cause the ink to dry out or cause a clog by vapor
lock.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net