How to store an inkjet printer, in particular an Epson

I have an antique Epson 800 that I'm going to retire for a time. It
has been printing w/o issue, but I want to print directly on DVDs, and
at $29US I couldn't turn down an Epson R200.

How should I prepare the 800 for storage? I don't want to be storing
it if the heads are going to clog.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
More about store inkjet printer epson

    I would imagine storing by inserting a cleaning cartridge giving it a
    flush or two and leaving them in, but don't take me as being correct
    and feel that this does depend on the amount of time of not being
    used.

    If you leave them without an ink cartridge they will get an airlock
    which, according to Epson will damage the heads, you'll get a load of
    ink sitting on a volume of air which just can't be shifted plus the
    heads will dry out and clog.

    If you leave them with a new cartridge in you'll probably end up with
    a load of dried ink in the nozzles.

    "It's kinda like being between the devil and the deep blue sea".

    Davy

    Hi,

    I'm in agreement with Davy to use cleaning cartridges if you intend to
    store longer than 3 months. If you are not going to go that route at least
    stick in some fairly new cartridges, place the printer in a plastic trash
    bag (additionally I throw in a moist sponge), expell as much air as
    possible, and place in a dark closet. Heck you can even put a bowl of water
    near it. Under no circumstances should you remove the cartridges, as air
    will either eventually cause the ink to dry out or cause a clog by vapor
    lock.

    --
    Jan Alter
    bearpuf@verizon.net
    "Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >I would imagine storing by inserting a cleaning cartridge giving it a
    > flush or two and leaving them in, but don't take me as being correct
    > and feel that this does depend on the amount of time of not being
    > used.
    >
    > If you leave them without an ink cartridge they will get an airlock
    > which, according to Epson will damage the heads, you'll get a load of
    > ink sitting on a volume of air which just can't be shifted plus the
    > heads will dry out and clog.
    >
    > If you leave them with a new cartridge in you'll probably end up with
    > a load of dried ink in the nozzles.
    >
    > "It's kinda like being between the devil and the deep blue sea".
    >
    > Davy

Printers Inkjet Epson Peripherals