Old laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

j_henriques50

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Hello there.
I have Toshiba Satellite centrino 1.6, 60gb, 1.5 Gb ram, 9700 radeon, 6 year old with xp.
Is it worth buy windows 7 upgrade license?
Thank you.

Solution
Exactly. I've used several laptops like that (bought for $175 each) and XP provided a good experience. I can't imagine what loading a ram intensive program like win7 would do to it. You could buy more ram, but is that really worth it? Keep XP up to date on patches and spend the $$$ on a newer laptop.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
You'll want 2GB RAM minimum for Windows 7, so if you can upgrade that then possibly. Don't expect it to be super-fast though. As an aside, your HDD size indicates it came with the laptop new. If you're not doing so already, back up your documents! :)

Well, if you are planning on running something elsem like a program that doesn't run on winXP but only on win7, then go for it. More better answer, yes go for the Windows 7 upgrade.

ALSO: You would need at least 2 GB of RAM at the least. 60 GB HDD seems kind of less as well, considering Windows 7 is a RAM and space consumer ( not more than Vista though ).

4745454b

Titan
Exactly. I've used several laptops like that (bought for $175 each) and XP provided a good experience. I can't imagine what loading a ram intensive program like win7 would do to it. You could buy more ram, but is that really worth it? Keep XP up to date on patches and spend the $$$ on a newer laptop.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.