Sign in with
Your question

temperature of the GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 16, 2006 4:54:36 PM

ok so finally i bought a 7300 gt as x800 series was way too expensive(almost thrice)...
nw my temperature settings show me a temperature of 69 to 71 degree celcius......what should be the ideal temperature?????

More about : temperature gpu

September 16, 2006 4:58:16 PM

Nothing wrong with that.
September 16, 2006 5:05:15 PM

but thats the idle temperature.....
while i am still on my desktop no games running............. :cry: 
and i hav got msi with ddr 3.now please dont scold me for this.availability constraints in my area otherwise id hav gone for gddr3 8)
Related resources
September 16, 2006 5:12:10 PM

i have added a fan allright but dont you think that the temperature should have been in the range of 50 degree celsius or so when its idle??????????
September 16, 2006 5:24:46 PM

I have a 1900XTX non OC and i run around 50°C when idle. When i play game like Oblivion or BF or COD2 i go around 80°C sometime when fully loaded with effects and explosion around 90°C. It seem its normal for a 1900 XTX and the card dont lag so i think your temp range is OK! :) 
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2006 5:40:55 PM

Quote:
i have added a fan allright but dont you think that the temperature should have been in the range of 50 degree celsius or so when its idle??????????

my 6600GT runs at 61-67 when idle depending on ambient and configuration of case cooling in an antec P180. So I'd say 50's is a bit optimistic for stock cooling. And probably not needed.
September 17, 2006 6:55:38 AM

i have not overclocked the card yet..........and while running nfs underground 2 the temperature reaches 85 degreee celsius.......is this normal???????
if it is not then what IS the ideal temperature?????
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2006 10:32:08 AM

Quote:
i have not overclocked the card yet..........and while running nfs underground 2 the temperature reaches 85 degreee celsius.......is this normal???????
if it is not then what IS the ideal temperature?????

I'm running at 93-95C on BF2, if you look at the temp monitoring in the drivers it has a throttle temp of 145 (for the 6600GT) that you cannot change, what is it on yours?

I think I am running slightly hotter now that I have changed from 3200+XP to E6600, so I imagine my CPU was an occassional bottleneck.
September 17, 2006 10:35:35 AM

my threshold is 125 degree celsius(NOT FAREHNHEIT)..........
and i have neither a stock cooler nor any other fan.there is no fan or cooler on the card........and as far as i have heard the temperature should be around 70 75 under full load.....mayb m wrong but............
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2006 10:57:04 AM

Quote:
my threshold is 125 degree celsius(NOT FAREHNHEIT)..........
and i have neither a stock cooler nor any other fan.there is no fan or cooler on the card........and as far as i have heard the temperature should be around 70 75 under full load.....mayb m wrong but............

Threshold it set by Nvidia on a GPU family basis, hence the difference between 7600 and 6600.

So you have a card that has passive cooling.

Personally I'd assume that Nvidia knows what it is doing when it sets the temps, yes 93-95 makes me nervous, but it does it every time and seems to cope. The engineer in me that if the upper limit is 145 then I should start to get nervous around 120ish (100 for you)?

Have you tried emailing the manufacturer or Nvidia to ask what their opinion is? Getting the info from the horses mouth would be better than 'as far as I have heard' I've heard a lot of BS around GPU temps when the only evidence I have seen says 145 (or 125 in your case)

Typically those claiming to have knowledge say something like, my CPU (or other random component) doesn't go above 50 so your GPU/CPU shouldn't. I've seen this argument used to say that 65 was too hot for an athlon XP (design spec limit 80C I believe) because their S939 wouldn't cope with 65, and that 80 is OK for a Core 2 Duo (design spec limit 60C) because their (different) CPU can cope with it.

The Temp argument takes on a whole different dimension when overclocking, and yes 93-95 (or whatever temp) might be too hot to OC with, but thats a different question for a different poster.

Hope this helps, sorry about the little rant in the middle, it might stop someone else believing everything that they are told.
September 17, 2006 11:13:53 AM

so you are saying dat 85 is normal and i should not worry :)  still i think ill add some cooling device to the setup..........for the peace of mind..i was really worried
thanx all.... you have been of immense help.....
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2006 11:15:51 AM

essentially, yes it appears to be perfectly fine, according to Nvidias settings.

Also remember that the amount of heat energy it will get rid of per second increases as the temp differential between the air and the heat sink increases. So it will stabilise once the heat being generated is matched by the heat being transferred.
!