MYST IV: Help with controls needed.

Hello,

With my copy of MYST V due to be delivered in 2 hours
I would like to finaly finish off MYST IV.

My problem is the harp-shaped control panel with the three
sliders on the rock world, the puzzle itself was too
complex for me so I consulted a walkthrough but I just
can't get all the settings right within the time limit
so I would greatly appreciate any hints on operating
the thing. (even moreso for a saved game with the darn
thing opened)

I quickly gave up on trying to see what position the
sliders were in and opted for counting lights, so far
so good, but when I let go of a slider it often springs
back into a different position and after repositioning
them a couple of times I run out of time.

Eric
11 answers Last reply
More about myst controls needed
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    "Eric Rowley" <poiuy@bredband.net> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > With my copy of MYST V due to be delivered in 2 hours
    > I would like to finaly finish off MYST IV.
    >
    > My problem is the harp-shaped control panel with the three
    > sliders on the rock world, the puzzle itself was too
    > complex for me so I consulted a walkthrough but I just
    > can't get all the settings right within the time limit
    > so I would greatly appreciate any hints on operating
    > the thing. (even moreso for a saved game with the darn
    > thing opened)
    >
    > I quickly gave up on trying to see what position the
    > sliders were in and opted for counting lights, so far
    > so good, but when I let go of a slider it often springs
    > back into a different position and after repositioning
    > them a couple of times I run out of time.
    >
    > Eric

    There was a patch that was supposed to help with this.
    http://mystworlds.ubi.com/us/patches.php
    Have you installed it?

    Nick.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    Eric Rowley wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > With my copy of MYST V due to be delivered in 2 hours
    > I would like to finaly finish off MYST IV.
    >
    > My problem is the harp-shaped control panel with the three
    > sliders on the rock world, the puzzle itself was too
    > complex for me so I consulted a walkthrough but I just
    > can't get all the settings right within the time limit
    > so I would greatly appreciate any hints on operating
    > the thing. (even moreso for a saved game with the darn
    > thing opened)
    >
    > I quickly gave up on trying to see what position the
    > sliders were in and opted for counting lights, so far
    > so good, but when I let go of a slider it often springs
    > back into a different position and after repositioning
    > them a couple of times I run out of time.
    >
    > Eric

    Copying the solution I used from here
    http://www.gameboomers.com/wtcheats/pcMm/Myst_4/Chapter_2.htm

    ----------------

    The next alternative solution to the lock puzzle is contributed by J.
    Brian Kelley:

    In order to minimize time grasping sliders you can take advantage of the
    fact that if two frequencies are set, it is
    only required that the third is touched for an instant.

    Slider 1 to position 6
    Slider 3 to position 4
    Slider 2 to top then bottom then nudge up to position 1 (longest running
    timer starts as soon as slider 2 hits top, so don't let go, but drop it
    to bottom and then nudge up by 1)
    Slider 3 to position 7 (nudge up by 3)
    Slider 1 to bottom then top then nudge down by 2 (second longest timer
    starts when slider 1 crosses position 3, so don't try for accuracy, hit
    bottom then top then nudge down by 2)
    Slider 3 to position 5 (nudge down by two)
    Slider 2 to top (shortest running timer starts when slider crosses
    position 5)
    Slider 3 to top
    Slider 1 to top
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    "With my copy of MYST V due to be delivered in 2 hours" - How'd you manage
    that? It's not being released until the 20th.

    "djin" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Eric Rowley wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> With my copy of MYST V due to be delivered in 2 hours
    >> I would like to finaly finish off MYST IV.
    >>
    >> My problem is the harp-shaped control panel with the three
    >> sliders on the rock world, the puzzle itself was too
    >> complex for me so I consulted a walkthrough but I just
    >> can't get all the settings right within the time limit
    >> so I would greatly appreciate any hints on operating
    >> the thing. (even moreso for a saved game with the darn
    >> thing opened)
    >>
    >> I quickly gave up on trying to see what position the
    >> sliders were in and opted for counting lights, so far
    >> so good, but when I let go of a slider it often springs
    >> back into a different position and after repositioning
    >> them a couple of times I run out of time.
    >>
    >> Eric
    >

    > Copying the solution I used from here
    > http://www.gameboomers.com/wtcheats/pcMm/Myst_4/Chapter_2.htm
    >
    > ----------------
    >
    > The next alternative solution to the lock puzzle is contributed by J.
    > Brian Kelley:
    >
    > In order to minimize time grasping sliders you can take advantage of the
    > fact that if two frequencies are set, it is
    > only required that the third is touched for an instant.
    >
    > Slider 1 to position 6
    > Slider 3 to position 4
    > Slider 2 to top then bottom then nudge up to position 1 (longest running
    > timer starts as soon as slider 2 hits top, so don't let go, but drop it to
    > bottom and then nudge up by 1)
    > Slider 3 to position 7 (nudge up by 3)
    > Slider 1 to bottom then top then nudge down by 2 (second longest timer
    > starts when slider 1 crosses position 3, so don't try for accuracy, hit
    > bottom then top then nudge down by 2)
    > Slider 3 to position 5 (nudge down by two)
    > Slider 2 to top (shortest running timer starts when slider crosses
    > position 5)
    > Slider 3 to top
    > Slider 1 to top
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    Brad wrote:
    > "With my copy of MYST V due to be delivered in 2 hours" - How'd you manage
    > that? It's not being released until the 20th.

    This is Myst IV we're talking about - the chair puzzle in Spire.

    The OP wrote:
    "With my copy of MYST V due to be delivered in 2 hours
    I would like to finally finish off MYST IV."

    > "djin" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Eric Rowley wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>
    >>>With my copy of MYST V due to be delivered in 2 hours
    >>>I would like to finaly finish off MYST IV.
    >>>
    >>>My problem is the harp-shaped control panel with the three
    >>>sliders on the rock world, the puzzle itself was too
    >>>complex for me so I consulted a walkthrough but I just
    >>>can't get all the settings right within the time limit
    >>>so I would greatly appreciate any hints on operating
    >>>the thing. (even moreso for a saved game with the darn
    >>>thing opened)
    >>>
    >>>I quickly gave up on trying to see what position the
    >>>sliders were in and opted for counting lights, so far
    >>>so good, but when I let go of a slider it often springs
    >>>back into a different position and after repositioning
    >>>them a couple of times I run out of time.
    >>>
    >>>Eric
    >>

    >>Copying the solution I used from here
    >>http://www.gameboomers.com/wtcheats/pcMm/Myst_4/Chapter_2.htm
    >>
    >>----------------
    >>
    >>The next alternative solution to the lock puzzle is contributed by J.
    >>Brian Kelley:
    >>
    >>In order to minimize time grasping sliders you can take advantage of the
    >>fact that if two frequencies are set, it is
    >>only required that the third is touched for an instant.
    >>
    >>Slider 1 to position 6
    >>Slider 3 to position 4
    >>Slider 2 to top then bottom then nudge up to position 1 (longest running
    >>timer starts as soon as slider 2 hits top, so don't let go, but drop it to
    >>bottom and then nudge up by 1)
    >>Slider 3 to position 7 (nudge up by 3)
    >>Slider 1 to bottom then top then nudge down by 2 (second longest timer
    >>starts when slider 1 crosses position 3, so don't try for accuracy, hit
    >>bottom then top then nudge down by 2)
    >>Slider 3 to position 5 (nudge down by two)
    >>Slider 2 to top (shortest running timer starts when slider crosses
    >>position 5)
    >>Slider 3 to top
    >>Slider 1 to top

  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    Yes, but the OP says "With my copy of MYST V due to be delivered in 2
    hours". 2 hours is a lot earlier than Sept. 20th.

    > Brad wrote:
    >> "With my copy of MYST V due to be delivered in 2 hours" - How'd you
    >> manage that? It's not being released until the 20th.
    >

    > This is Myst IV we're talking about - the chair puzzle in Spire.
    >
    > The OP wrote:
    > "With my copy of MYST V due to be delivered in 2 hours
    > I would like to finally finish off MYST IV."
    >

    >> "djin" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >>>Copying the solution I used from here
    >>>http://www.gameboomers.com/wtcheats/pcMm/Myst_4/Chapter_2.htm
    >>>
    >>>----------------
    >>>
    >>>The next alternative solution to the lock puzzle is contributed by J.
    >>>Brian Kelley:
    >>>
    >>>In order to minimize time grasping sliders you can take advantage of the
    >>>fact that if two frequencies are set, it is
    >>>only required that the third is touched for an instant.
    >>>
    >>>Slider 1 to position 6
    >>>Slider 3 to position 4
    >>>Slider 2 to top then bottom then nudge up to position 1 (longest running
    >>>timer starts as soon as slider 2 hits top, so don't let go, but drop it
    >>>to bottom and then nudge up by 1)
    >>>Slider 3 to position 7 (nudge up by 3)
    >>>Slider 1 to bottom then top then nudge down by 2 (second longest timer
    >>>starts when slider 1 crosses position 3, so don't try for accuracy, hit
    >>>bottom then top then nudge down by 2)
    >>>Slider 3 to position 5 (nudge down by two)
    >>>Slider 2 to top (shortest running timer starts when slider crosses
    >>>position 5)
    >>>Slider 3 to top
    >>>Slider 1 to top

  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    > "Eric Rowley" <poiuy@bredband.net> wrote in message
    > news:WinLMSG.4327ffe1.2698.508c@news.abc.se... >

    > > My problem is the harp-shaped control panel with the three >
    > sliders on the rock world,

    <snip>

    > There was a patch that was supposed to help with this.
    > http://mystworlds.ubi.com/us/patches.php Have you installed it?

    Nope, thanks I'll try it right away.

    Eric
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    > "With my copy of MYST V due to be delivered in 2 hours" -How'd
    > you manage that? It's not being released until the 20th.

    They had a special deal on the website (UK version)
    the 400 first online orders get the game couriered
    "no later than the official release" or it's free.
    I figured that meant on the day or maybe the day before,
    but here it is, nice scenery but it feels a tad emptier
    than the previous games.

    Eric
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    dn> Eric Rowley wrote:
    dn> > Hello,
    dn> >
    dn> > With my copy of MYST V due to be delivered in 2 hours
    dn> > I would like to finaly finish off MYST IV. >
    dn> > My problem is the harp-shaped control panel with the three >
    dn> sliders on the rock world,

    <snip>

    dn> Copying the solution I used from here
    dn> http://www.gameboomers.com/wtcheats/pcMm/Myst_4/Chapter_2.htm

    dn> ----------------

    dn> The next alternative solution to the lock puzzle is contributed
    dn> by J. Brian Kelley:

    dn> In order to minimize time grasping sliders you can take
    dn> advantage of the fact that if two frequencies are set, it is
    dn> only required that the third is touched for an instant.

    <snip>

    Thanks, that sounds useful, I'll try that together with
    the patch and see how it goes.

    Eric
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    "Brad" <brad@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    > Yes, but the OP says "With my copy of MYST V due to be delivered in 2
    > hours". 2 hours is a lot earlier than Sept. 20th.

    There was a special offer - the first 400 pre-orders were guaranteed to
    arrive on or BEFORE the release date or your money back..
    I started playing Myst V yesterday. I'm in Europe - not sure if the offer
    was available in the US.
    Nick.

    > "djin" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Brad wrote:
    > >> "With my copy of MYST V due to be delivered in 2 hours" - How'd you
    > >> manage that? It's not being released until the 20th.
    > >

    > > This is Myst IV we're talking about - the chair puzzle in Spire.
    > >
    > > The OP wrote:
    > > "With my copy of MYST V due to be delivered in 2 hours
    > > I would like to finally finish off MYST IV."
    > >

    > >> "djin" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    I pre-ordered mine too. Must not have been offered here. Damn Europeans:)

    "Nick" <no_bother@all> wrote in message

    > "Brad" <brad@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    >> Yes, but the OP says "With my copy of MYST V due to be delivered in 2
    >> hours". 2 hours is a lot earlier than Sept. 20th.
    >
    > There was a special offer - the first 400 pre-orders were guaranteed to
    > arrive on or BEFORE the release date or your money back..
    > I started playing Myst V yesterday. I'm in Europe - not sure if the offer
    > was available in the US.
    > Nick.
    >

    >> "djin" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> >

    >> > This is Myst IV we're talking about - the chair puzzle in Spire.
    >> >
    >> > The OP wrote:
    >> > "With my copy of MYST V due to be delivered in 2 hours
    >> > I would like to finally finish off MYST IV."

    > the

    > running

  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    Nick wrote:
    > "Brad" <brad@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Yes, but the OP says "With my copy of MYST V due to be delivered in 2
    >>hours". 2 hours is a lot earlier than Sept. 20th.
    >

    > There was a special offer - the first 400 pre-orders were guaranteed to
    > arrive on or BEFORE the release date or your money back..
    > I started playing Myst V yesterday. I'm in Europe - not sure if the offer
    > was available in the US.
    > Nick.

    I don't think I've ever heard of an offer like that with any game.
    Maybe they don't do this kind of thing in the US.
    I did hear some people say they'd received notice their Myst V
    games had shipped, but I don't know any who actually have the
    game in hand.

Control Panel Video Games