HP Deskjet 720C Series error message

Yep it’s an old one but until today it worked fine. Now I get this error
message:

INCORRECT INSTALLATION
Try removing the black print cartridge and restarting it.

Sometimes it will print sometimes not. Changed the cartridge and cleaned
the connections, no luck. Help, TIA Lorraine.

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"Lorraine" <notme@nowhere.net> wrote:
>Yep it’s an old one but until today it worked fine. Now I get this error
>message:
>
>INCORRECT INSTALLATION
>Try removing the black print cartridge and restarting it.
>
>Sometimes it will print sometimes not. Changed the cartridge and cleaned
>the connections, no luck. Help, TIA Lorraine.

Lorraine
If this happens with more than one black cartridge and the contacts are clean
you may have to face up to replacing the printer, cost of repair is probably
prohibitive.
Did you clean the contacts in the printer and at the back of the cartridge with
Isopropyl alcohol? You have to be quite persistent with the contacts in the
carriage using a cotton bud or similar (power off of course), I would also do
the same for the colour cartridge (no harm and there is a very remote chance
that is the problem, having seen some printers get confused when 2 cartridges
appear to fail at the same time).
Tony

<Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.xa1TlKLIydQ0Hw@ue.ph...
> "Lorraine" <notme@nowhere.net> wrote:
> >Yep it's an old one but until today it worked fine. Now I get this error
> >message:
> >
> >INCORRECT INSTALLATION
> >Try removing the black print cartridge and restarting it.
> >
> >Sometimes it will print sometimes not. Changed the cartridge and cleaned
> >the connections, no luck. Help, TIA Lorraine.
>
> Lorraine
> If this happens with more than one black cartridge and the contacts are clean
> you may have to face up to replacing the printer, cost of repair is probably
> prohibitive.
> Did you clean the contacts in the printer and at the back of the cartridge
with
> Isopropyl alcohol? You have to be quite persistent with the contacts in the
> carriage using a cotton bud or similar (power off of course), I would also do
> the same for the colour cartridge (no harm and there is a very remote chance
> that is the problem, having seen some printers get confused when 2 cartridges
> appear to fail at the same time).
> Tony

Thank you for the reply Tony. I only cleaned the black cartridge and its
corresponding contacts in the printer using 90% Isopropyl Alcohol. I also
installed a new black cartridge. I did not clean the color cartridge but this
time I will clean both i.e. color and black. I will also try another color
cartridge. Lorraine

"Lorraine" <notme@nowhere.net> wrote in message

> <Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.xa1TlKLIydQ0Hw@ue.ph...
> > "Lorraine" <notme@nowhere.net> wrote:
> > >Yep it's an old one but until today it worked fine. Now I get this error
> > >message:
> > >
> > >INCORRECT INSTALLATION
> > >Try removing the black print cartridge and restarting it.
> > >
> > >Sometimes it will print sometimes not. Changed the cartridge and cleaned
> > >the connections, no luck. Help, TIA Lorraine.
> >
> > Lorraine
> > If this happens with more than one black cartridge and the contacts are
clean
> > you may have to face up to replacing the printer, cost of repair is probably
> > prohibitive.
> > Did you clean the contacts in the printer and at the back of the cartridge
> with
> > Isopropyl alcohol? You have to be quite persistent with the contacts in the
> > carriage using a cotton bud or similar (power off of course), I would also
do
> > the same for the colour cartridge (no harm and there is a very remote chance
> > that is the problem, having seen some printers get confused when 2
cartridges
> > appear to fail at the same time).
> > Tony
>
> Thank you for the reply Tony. I only cleaned the black cartridge and its
> corresponding contacts in the printer using 90% Isopropyl Alcohol. I also
> installed a new black cartridge. I did not clean the color cartridge but this
> time I will clean both i.e. color and black. I will also try another color
> cartridge. Lorraine

Giving both cartridge's and printer connections a very thorough cleaning appears
(?) to correct the problem. I printed a couple pages without the error message.
Thank you.