not able to visit virus sites; return ping to local host

Running Windows XP Pro, SP1. When i ping mcafee.com or symantec.com, i get a
return ping of 127.0.01. when i try to visit these sites, i get no page
displayed. any ideas?

Sally and KenAnderson wrote:
> Running Windows XP Pro, SP1. When i ping mcafee.com or symantec.com, i get a
> return ping of 127.0.01. when i try to visit these sites, i get no page
> displayed. any ideas?

go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and do a online scan.
There are several viruses that will stop you from getting to
anti virus software sites.

gls858

Sally and KenAnderson wrote:
> Running Windows XP Pro, SP1. When i ping mcafee.com or symantec.com, i get a
> return ping of 127.0.01. when i try to visit these sites, i get no page
> displayed. any ideas?

Forgot to add 127.0.0.1 is a IP local to your machine. It's a loopback
test.

gls858

Check that you are configuring DNS with your ISP correctly.

Hope this is useful to you. Let us know.

rms

"Rob Schneider" <rmschne@removetheones_b1e1e1b.net.net> wrote in message
> Check that you are configuring DNS with your ISP correctly.
>
> Hope this is useful to you. Let us know.
>
> rms
>

> Sally and KenAnderson wrote:
> > Running Windows XP Pro, SP1. When i ping mcafee.com or symantec.com, i
get a
> > return ping of 127.0.01. when i try to visit these sites, i get no page
> > displayed. any ideas?

it's a dynamic ip which i assume is a dynamic dns?

"gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Sally and KenAnderson wrote:
> > Running Windows XP Pro, SP1. When i ping mcafee.com or symantec.com, i
get a
> > return ping of 127.0.01. when i try to visit these sites, i get no page
> > displayed. any ideas?
> >

> go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and do a online scan.
> There are several viruses that will stop you from getting to
> anti virus software sites.
>
> gls858

You are probably right...can't even do a trend virus scan...same symptom.

Sally and KenAnderson wrote:
> "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Sally and KenAnderson wrote:
>>
>>>Running Windows XP Pro, SP1. When i ping mcafee.com or symantec.com, i
>
> get a
>
>>>return ping of 127.0.01. when i try to visit these sites, i get no page
>>>displayed. any ideas?
>>>

>>go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and do a online scan.
>>There are several viruses that will stop you from getting to
>>anti virus software sites.
>>
>>gls858
>

> You are probably right...can't even do a trend virus scan...same symptom.

Search for a file called HOSTS. In most cases it shouldn't have any
entries. If you see page after page of entries all relating to
anti virus sites pointed at 127.0.0.1 delete them. I think the virus
I ran across was DosAgoBot. It was a bear to get rid of.

gls858