Upgrading PC: Spending Up to $1600

revel911

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
I am looking to do a major upgrade to my PC for game useage before the 6 months NO Interest runs out on NewEgg.com since I will be getting tax return back before May. I already have Hard Drives and a case that I will be keeping, but I am wanting to get new:

MotherBoard
CPU
Fan/Heat Sink
RAM
Graphics Card
Power Supply

I am looking to spend up to $1600 including S&H, but recently I have been hearing people say don't go too overboard on Graphics Cards until DX10, so I am hoping for the best performance vs. price. I do play a lot of Oblivion massivley Modded to increase texture quality and size. My original intent was to get a 1GB card, but again........ I need to think about the DX10.

I have always been an AMD and ATI guy, but I have friends that are switching over because of price and performance, so I am willing to make a switch for that same reason.

Any suggestions, please?

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
You will get more replies if you post a list of parts that you want to buy and have people criquite it.

Newegg's no interest for 6 months deal is ok, but MAKE SURE you can pay it off or you are screwed over with 25% interest. (Not pleasent- its retroactive from Day ONE).

revel911

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
You will get more replies if you post a list of parts that you want to buy and have people criquite it.

Newegg's no interest for 6 months deal is ok, but MAKE SURE you can pay it off or you are screwed over with 25% interest. (Not pleasent- its retroactive from Day ONE).

Thanx for the reply and you are right.... I was just being a bit Lazy.

And yes, I know I am screwed if I don't have NewEgg paid off quickly, but this will be good to keep me in check for getting my Taxes in early this year. :lol:

Here is What I have been looking at so far:

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe
MoBo ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Socket T
HSF I am Lost with this one, looking for suggestions
RAM CORSAIR XMS2 2GB Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4
GPU As mentioned, I was looking at the 7950GX2, but might go less b/c of DX10?
Power Supply I have a 480 TruBlue, should I get another one?

Should instead, should I just wait the 6 months out till I actually get my Tax Return and make a purchase then for all the Vista stuff or the Graphics card the only thing that will be majorly affected.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe
MoBo ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Socket T
HSF I am Lost with this one, looking for suggestions
RAM CORSAIR XMS2 2GB Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4
GPU As mentioned, I was looking at the 7950GX2, but might go less b/c of DX10?
Power Supply I have a 480 TruBlue, should I get another one?

Should instead, should I just wait the 6 months out till I actually get my Tax Return and make a purchase then for all the Vista stuff or the Graphics card the only thing that will be majorly affected.

Well in 6 months, you can get a quad core CPU which won't really help you unless you are doing a lot of video stuff. Vista *should* be out with DX10 cards, but the rest of the hardware won't be much different, just cheaper probably.

If you buy now:

1) You don't need a HSF. The stock cooler is more than acceptable.
2) 7950GX2 is a horrible value. Avoid it, get the X1900XT 256 now ($230) and you sitting pretty for DX10.
3) How old is it? More than 2 years, yes- plus it needs to be 24 pin to plug in to the new motherboard. Might not be a bad idea to get a new one.