Can't_get_inkjet_going_via_USB

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Win XP Home, SP1
M'board Shuttle AN35N Ultra

I'm not sure if this a hardware or a software problem. I'm trying to get
a inkjet printer to work using the USB port.

Currently...

I have a cordless mouse & keyboard running via a USP port. The
"receiver" is connected to the USB port, and it works.

When I self-test the printer (press and hold the on button and open and
close the door four times), it prints a page successfully.

When I connect the printer, an HP Deskjet 3745 http://snipurl.com/hfpx ,
to the USB port that shares a header on the m'board , the light on the
"receiver" goes out. The system also can't find the printer (which means
I can't complete the installation using the program that comes on the
printer's CD. The last part of the installation requires getting in
touch with the printer. I was able to install the drivers by Control
Panel > Printers and Faxes > Add Printer).

When I use a different USB port, like one of the ones directly on the m'
board, the mouse receiver works normally (light stays on), but the
printer still doesn't work.

I'm thinking maybe something is wrong with the USB ports, and maybe I
can remedy the situation by getting a PCI card with USB ports. Can
anybody offer me direction here?

One other little fact: I got the cordless mouse + keyboard because the
regular keyboard wasn't working through the normal keyboard jack next
to the mouse jack.

So the printer works; that's not the problem.
I've tried three different cables, so that's not the problem either.
The USB port works for the cordless mouse + keyboard, so I think that's
ok (no?).
Naturally, I've tried turning off and on everything.

--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||
4 answers Last reply

    "Nehmo" <nehmo54@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Win XP Home, SP1
    > M'board Shuttle AN35N Ultra
    >
    > I'm not sure if this a hardware or a software problem. I'm trying to get
    > a inkjet printer to work using the USB port.
    >
    > Currently...
    >
    > I have a cordless mouse & keyboard running via a USP port. The
    > "receiver" is connected to the USB port, and it works.
    >
    > When I self-test the printer (press and hold the on button and open and
    > close the door four times), it prints a page successfully.
    >
    > When I connect the printer, an HP Deskjet 3745 http://snipurl.com/hfpx ,
    > to the USB port that shares a header on the m'board , the light on the
    > "receiver" goes out. The system also can't find the printer (which means
    > I can't complete the installation using the program that comes on the
    > printer's CD. The last part of the installation requires getting in
    > touch with the printer. I was able to install the drivers by Control
    > Panel > Printers and Faxes > Add Printer).
    >
    > When I use a different USB port, like one of the ones directly on the m'
    > board, the mouse receiver works normally (light stays on), but the
    > printer still doesn't work.
    >
    > I'm thinking maybe something is wrong with the USB ports, and maybe I
    > can remedy the situation by getting a PCI card with USB ports. Can
    > anybody offer me direction here?
    >
    > One other little fact: I got the cordless mouse + keyboard because the
    > regular keyboard wasn't working through the normal keyboard jack next
    > to the mouse jack.
    >
    > So the printer works; that's not the problem.
    > I've tried three different cables, so that's not the problem either.
    > The USB port works for the cordless mouse + keyboard, so I think that's
    > ok (no?).
    > Naturally, I've tried turning off and on everything.
    >
    > --
    > |||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

    From HP web site--CAPS ARE MINE(UNPLUGGED, etc.): Installation
    instructions:
    Caution! The printer's USB cable must be UNPLUGGED BEFORE PROCEEDING!
    Do not plug USB cable in until instructed to do so by the installation
    software!

    1.. Create a new folder on the hard drive before downloading the printer
    driver.

    Suggestion: "c:\dj3740"
    2.. Download the driver to the newly created c:\dj3740 folder.
    3.. Open the c:\dj3740 folder and double-click on the downloaded "exe"
    file. Once the files are loaded and driver installation screen appears,
    proceed to step 6. Note: If this screen does not appear, continue with
    the next step (step 4) to manually open the screen.
    4.. Double-click on the c:\dj3740 folder to open the folder.
    5.. Double-click on the "setup" file to start the installation program.
    6.. Follow the instructions on the installer screens to complete the
    installation.
    HTH & good luck, s
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 22:13:00 GMT, "Nehmo"
    <nehmo54@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Win XP Home, SP1
    >M'board Shuttle AN35N Ultra
    >
    >I'm not sure if this a hardware or a software problem. I'm trying to get
    >a inkjet printer to work using the USB port.
    >
    >Currently...
    >
    >I have a cordless mouse & keyboard running via a USP port. The
    > "receiver" is connected to the USB port, and it works.

    Then it's either a fault with the printer itself or the
    operating system, not the USB port infrasctructure as it's
    working.

    >When I self-test the printer (press and hold the on button and open and
    >close the door four times), it prints a page successfully.

    OK, though that doesn't necessarily mean the printer is
    working right, only that (that) subsystem of it is. Odds
    are though, that the printer is ok and the OS is the
    problem.

    >When I connect the printer, an HP Deskjet 3745 http://snipurl.com/hfpx ,
    >to the USB port that shares a header on the m'board , the light on the
    >"receiver" goes out.

    Then try another USB port.

    Also, check your motherboard for a 5VSB/5V USB jumper. If
    it's set to 5VSB, change it to 5V.

    >The system also can't find the printer (which means
    >I can't complete the installation using the program that comes on the
    >printer's CD. The last part of the installation requires getting in
    >touch with the printer. I was able to install the drivers by Control
    >Panel > Printers and Faxes > Add Printer).

    No, do not do that... it'll just make things worse if
    anything. Remove any and all things you've done in this
    regard.

    >When I use a different USB port, like one of the ones directly on the m'
    >board, the mouse receiver works normally (light stays on), but the
    >printer still doesn't work.
    >
    >I'm thinking maybe something is wrong with the USB ports, and maybe I
    >can remedy the situation by getting a PCI card with USB ports. Can
    >anybody offer me direction here?

    Are you using a cable that came with the printer or a 3rd
    party cable? Last USB printer I set up for someone, they
    wanted to reuse (from some other device they'd had) one of
    those silly cables with a little LED built into each end.
    Cable tested electrically continuous but wouldn't allow the
    printer to work. Brought a standard $3 cable and it worked
    fine... avoid cables with "things" in them and try another
    cable either way if possible.

    >One other little fact: I got the cordless mouse + keyboard because the
    >regular keyboard wasn't working through the normal keyboard jack next
    >to the mouse jack.

    Is it possible you're just jinxed? ;-)

    Have you changed any bios settings?
    Does your board have a newer bios available that might
    address these problems? If you had a multimeter you might
    try checking the continuity on the port and across any
    fuses. Also check power supply voltage, particularly 5VSB.

    >So the printer works; that's not the problem.
    >I've tried three different cables, so that's not the problem either.

    Ok... forgot to mention, that LED cable I'd tried- it's
    owner had another brand new one just like it- brand new LED
    cable didn't work either, for whatever that's worth.

    >The USB port works for the cordless mouse + keyboard, so I think that's
    >ok (no?).
    >Naturally, I've tried turning off and on everything.

    Is there any chance of trying this printer on another
    system?

    You might try unplugging ALL USB devices if possible, then
    trying the printer. Could be you do have a defective
    printer- odds are against it but certainly "somebody" has to
    get the rare one that's bad. It'd be good to isolate this
    by getting the printer and/or system working 100% first and
    then trying them together.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    - sdlomi2 -
    > From HP web site--...Installation...

    - Nehmo -
    I downloaded the HP Deskjet 3740 Series Setup program Version: 10.1.0.0,
    and ran it. Initially the printer is not connected by the USB cable.
    At a point, Setup will produce a brief window which says Please connect
    printer now, then quickly another window, Looking for new hardware
    appears, and it says…

    "Please make sure the printer is connected to the computer and powered
    on...in may take a few.. ", and there's a cancel button.

    I plug in the USB cable (attached to the printer on one end) to the USB
    port on the m'board, on the back of the computer. I just used this port
    for a camera, and it worked.

    Setup never moves beyond that Looking for new hardware window.
    Apparently it's not detecting the printer.

    If press cancel, the whole setup rolls back. The setup program on the
    disk HP v 1.00 provided with the printer acts just like the v 10.1.0.0
    one I downloaded form the HP site.

    --

    |||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 19:25:54 GMT, "Nehmo"
    <nehmo54@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >- sdlomi2 -
    >> From HP web site--...Installation...
    >
    >- Nehmo -
    >I downloaded the HP Deskjet 3740 Series Setup program Version: 10.1.0.0,
    >and ran it. Initially the printer is not connected by the USB cable.
    >At a point, Setup will produce a brief window which says Please connect
    >printer now, then quickly another window, Looking for new hardware
    >appears, and it says…
    >
    >"Please make sure the printer is connected to the computer and powered
    >on...in may take a few.. ", and there's a cancel button.
    >
    >I plug in the USB cable (attached to the printer on one end) to the USB
    >port on the m'board, on the back of the computer. I just used this port
    >for a camera, and it worked.
    >
    >Setup never moves beyond that Looking for new hardware window.
    >Apparently it's not detecting the printer.
    >
    >If press cancel, the whole setup rolls back. The setup program on the
    >disk HP v 1.00 provided with the printer acts just like the v 10.1.0.0
    >one I downloaded form the HP site.

    Things to try;

    Newer (or older) nForce2 driver pack (nvidia.com)

    Temporary clean WinXP installation
    - XP (no SP1 yet)
    - XP (w/SP1)
    - XP (w/SP2)

    PCI USB2 card

    I'd probably try them in that order, depending on
    circumstances (like having a spare HDD or backup method to
    easily switch from current to clean XP installation and back
    again).

Printers Hardware USB Peripherals