P5B Deluxe doesn't boot from CD drive

nywst

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2005
New bulit with
C2D 6600
P5B Deluxe
2 WD 250GB for RAID 0

1. I already successfully upgrade BIOS to the latest one.

2. Successfully create RAID 0 valume through Asus utility.

3. The problem is, I cannot boot from CD Drvive. The boot sequence is correct of course. I tried 2 CD/DVD drives, and 2 different cables (one is from Asus MB package). Also I tried primary/cbl cable setting on drive. I only have one IDE drive. All the Drive/cable work well in my old PC. Still, booting from CD drive doesn't work. I can see the drive light was flashing when the disc was reading.

I see other people also have the similar problme on this ASUS P5B Deluxe. And certainly Asus does a very poor job to make our 'old' drive work.

Any help? Now I cannot even install OS!

Thanks a lot

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I assume the JMicron controller is enabled. Is it set to IDE?

What drive model is it?

If it is enabled and set to IDE, do you see the Jmicron ROM screen when you boot? It lists attached drives then says "press any key to continue?" If not then you have a motherboard problem. Try putting a HD or SATA on it and see if the ROM screen comes up to confirm.

The boot options in BIOS are all screwy - you can only have four possible boot drives and then you have to go to the other option and set the order.

So. have you tried F8 to select a boot drive?

And you didn't say whether your CD-Rom showed up as a boot option or not.

I had no problems with my install...I bought a new DVD/RW, but that shouldn't have anything to do with it really.

And another dumb thing to check - is your XP disc good? Not just readable in another computer, but bootable in another computer. CD-ROMs are fragile.

nywst

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2005
I assume the JMicron controller is enabled. Is it set to IDE?

What drive model is it?

If it is enabled and set to IDE, do you see the Jmicron ROM screen when you boot? It lists attached drives then says "press any key to continue?" If not then you have a motherboard problem. Try putting a HD or SATA on it and see if the ROM screen comes up to confirm.

The boot options in BIOS are all screwy - you can only have four possible boot drives and then you have to go to the other option and set the order.

So. have you tried F8 to select a boot drive?

And you didn't say whether your CD-Rom showed up as a boot option or not.

I had no problems with my install...I bought a new DVD/RW, but that shouldn't have anything to do with it really.

And another dumb thing to check - is your XP disc good? Not just readable in another computer, but bootable in another computer. CD-ROMs are fragile.

I use Intel Matrix RAID control, instead of JMicron. I disable JM RAID controller. And I am able to use Asus utility to create RAID0 volume successfully.

CD-ROM does show up as a boot option.

Do you use P5B Deluxe with wifi MB also? If so, which cable did you use to connect your DVD drive? The one came with the Asus MB package (has HDD lable on the cable)? How many IDE devices do you connect? If you only have 1 (DVD drive), is it primay/slave? And what's the jumper setting in the drive (cable select/primary/slave)?

thanks a lot!

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Uh, well, your problem is the JMicron is the chip that supports the IDE controllers. If turn it off of course you can't boot from an IDE CD-ROM. Turn it back on and set it to IDE.

I used the Asus ribbon, any 80-pin ribbon should work fine. I have one IDE HD, one DVD-RW and a SATA drive all on the JMicron controller, and they all work fine.

And the boot screen should show the name of your DVD-ROM not CD-ROM. I have no idea why they have that CD-ROM thing in there, it is useless.

nywst

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2005
Yes. You are right! Once I enable JM, the booting from CD drive works!
Now while installing OS, I can enjoy Yanks-Boston game. :p

Thanks a lot! (how does the manual fail to mention this?)