VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
So "Post Reply" has bugged me for a while now, just by existing, but now it has a very odd behavior that I believe to be a bug.

If I were to hit post reply on a random thread, my post would be "In reply to" whoever the previous poster replied to.

Example:
Bob makes a post.
Jim replies to Bob's post.
Nick replies to Jim's reply to Bob's post.
Bob just posts a reply, but it says he's replying to Jim's post.

Does that make sense?

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Hi, I'm Jim, and I'm replying to Bob.

Used
reply_mini.gif

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
AFAIK it's only been there a few months. Back when it started, clicking it would give you a message with no subject and no "in reply to:". I'm sure you've seen them around...

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I'm confused.... :? :?: . Are you talking about the reply to person thing.. I rarely use it unless I want to reply to a person, but you're saying it will reply to another person if said person has posted a reply before you hit submit?

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
:lol: Now you've confused me. You don't have to be composing a message at the time someone else posts before you. It doesn't matter who posts or when they post, as long as they did post, your message will be labeled a reply to whoever they replied to.

Say someone posted a month ago. Someone else replied to them the same day. Not to nothing in particular, but to their post specifically. Now you come a long a whole month later and make a post using the Post Reply button. Your post will have no subject (unless you add one when you composed the message), but it will be labeled as a reply to the first post.

Does that make sense? It's hard to describe unless you test it and see. Judging from the fact that your post is a reply to lordaardvark2's, my guess is you used the Post Reply button to make that post and are now experiencing this problem.

Give it a try. Hit Post Reply and make a test post. You'll see. Your subject will be blank, but you'll be replying to yourself.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
anonymous tormenting replied...

lol :lol:

AFAIK it's only been there a few months. Back when it started, clicking it would give you a message with no subject and no "in reply to:". I'm sure you've seen them around...

yeah, i think i know what you're talking about... i've been seeing a lot of replies to no one, with the blank subject, if thats what you're referring to. i had NO IDEA what that was, i was wondering if it was a forum error... but i guess not. nah, i ususally use the "
reply_mini.gif
" button or whatever, because whenever i post, its after/to someone specific.

argh this is confusing :lol:

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
yeah, i think i know what you're talking about... i've been seeing a lot of replies to no one, with the blank subject, if thats what you're referring to. i had NO IDEA what that was, i was wondering if it was a forum error... but i guess not.
Such is the curse of the
reply.gif
button. That's how it used to work. Now it behaves as I've described.

nah, i ususally use the "
reply_mini.gif
" button or whatever, because whenever i post, its after/to someone specific.
Good. Keep it up. That's how I think it should be done. It's my own little crusade... Slaughter all
reply.gif
buttons. :wink:

BTW, nice sig. My Amiga 500 is not so speedy.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
hey, i'll gladly join your crusade; you wouldn't think something so simple could be so blatant and irksome... but it IS! at least for me, anyway.

and i love my sig too... did/do you know Niz? i'm not sure if he's still around the forumz... someone came on and was talking some shit about benchmark numbers and he was like, "oh PuhLEASE" it was real funny.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Cerebus, I presume?

[okay, i could be totally misinterpreting your post, but i'm gonna assume that i heard you right and go ahead...]

nah, i haven't actually read Cerebus the Aardvark, but its really cool that you knew about it! i don't actually remember where my name came from... it came to me when i was like 11 and i've been using it ever since. its not from cerebus, because i've never read any... although one of my friends said it was from invader zim. i don't remember :oops:

but, cerebus has been on my list of things to buy for a while, so i hope to read it sometime soon.

is it good?

Next year in Jerusalem! [/Futurama]

Nope, never met him. I'd remember that avatar. :wink:

ah, Niz was cool. you missed out! and i LOVE futurama! w00t

...have i seen you in the "OTHER" forum...?

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Okay, so make it two crusades. Bring back Futurama!

Niz is still around. Just do a search in the hardware section for his posts. There are plenty of current ones.

Actually, I stand corrected. I have had a brush with Niz.

If you read anything in the Other since the beginning of 2007, then you likely did see me there...

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Okay, so make it two crusades. Bring back Futurama!
lol :lol: i'm in on that one too

i'm pissed, tho. i totally forgot about the whole search feature [ :oops: ] and i was trying to find when Niz said that, but COULDN'T :cry: i went from real excited when i remembered search to real sad when it FAILED ME. i cry.

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
Looks to me like you interpreted it spot-on. Cerebus the Aardvark is one of the funnier comics I've read.

I'm not sure about the Invader Zim reference... maybe they referenced Cerebus in an episode? Dib's funny anyway.

But yeah, Cerebus is a pretty good read.

@Phukface
Unintentional misrepresentation of a subject mass equals light beer during a protest march hare on acid.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
okay, i may have caught the last one, but this one is REALLY throwing me for a loop :cry: WTF are you gus TALKING ABOUT? :lol:

i was thinking that same thing, that perhaps Cerebus was referenced in Invader Zim... i'm not sure. i should probably know where my name comes from... bah i'll just go with Cerebus.

...isn't Cerebus like 600 issues? 8O

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
I don't really know how many issues there actually are, I've got up to Church&State 2.

In any case, a whole whack of issues get put into a single volume anyway.

Dib is one of the characters in Invader Zim.

@PhukFace
Glad that helped.