transferring xp home

i have windows xp home edition which i purchased. i have two computers. is
there any way i can install xp on both without purchasing a new number? thanks
--
van

In news:977A9C75-D0AE-48F0-8383-0F832F9A52A0@microsoft.com,
van <van@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

>i have windows xp home edition which i purchased. i have two
> computers. is there any way i can install xp on both without
> purchasing a new number? thanks

If yours is a retail version, not an OEM one, yes you can buy
extra licenses (see
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp). But
it's not generally a good deal. The problem is that Microsoft
sells additional licenses at only a small savings over the list
price. You're almost certainly better off just buying a complete
second copy from a discount source.

Please reply to the newsgroup

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 14:40:03 -0800, van wrote:

> i have windows xp home edition which i purchased. i have two computers. is
> there any way i can install xp on both without purchasing a new number? thanks

No.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Just as it says, right on the box, you'll need to purchase a
separate WinXP license for each computer on which you install it.

As it has always been with all Microsoft operating systems,
it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and U.S.
copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not
technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which
it is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to
determine final applicability in your locale.) The only way in which
WinXP licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows is
that Microsoft has finally added a copy protection and anti-theft
mechanism, Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make more
difficult) multiple installations using a single license.

You can buy additional licenses, assuming you have a retail
license. Naturally, Microsoft cannot sell additional OEM licenses. Be
aware, however, that you'll probably pay more this way than you would
if you were to buy a second copy of WinXP from a discount retailer;
Microsoft will only offer you a 15% discount off their MSRP.

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Home Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.asp

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Professional
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"van" <van@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have windows xp home edition which i purchased. i have two
>computers. is
> there any way i can install xp on both without purchasing a new
> number? thanks
> --
> van

thanks for answering my message. nice to know people are interested in
helping others with pc problems. van