Sign in with
Your question

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Orleans Processor

Last response: in CPUs
September 16, 2006 9:53:51 PM

I am need of a cheap but good cpu, I was looking at AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Orleans Processor from newegg for $109. What do you guys think of this cpu, is there a better one for around that cost? I dont mind going with Intel cpus so I can handle suggestions from either company. I am a all around computer user. I dont do any video editing through. thanks for any help.

Also dont worry about the socket because I will choose a new motherboard after cpu is choosen. I dont want to spend anything more than $115 on the cpu.
October 3, 2006 5:38:38 AM

Just got one, with an MSI K9N Diamond mobo. Haven't really done much evaluation, other than it is a LOT faster than my old Celeron 466! Also, got 2x512 MB of Corsair DDR2 800 memory.

Only problem I have is figuring out what parameters to put in the BIOS--there are so many things that can be set! OC'ing is big business! (See my post in the MSI mobo forum.)

Good luck with your choice. I think AMD single cores beat out anything Intel has, but the dual core Intels seem to have the edge over AMD right now.
October 3, 2006 5:47:11 AM

Quote:
I am need of a cheap but good cpu, I was looking at AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Orleans Processor from newegg for $109. What do you guys think of this cpu, is there a better one for around that cost? I dont mind going with Intel cpus so I can handle suggestions from either company. I am a all around computer user. I dont do any video editing through. thanks for any help.

Also dont worry about the socket because I will choose a new motherboard after cpu is choosen. I dont want to spend anything more than $115 on the cpu.
Assuming that you don't foresee yourself reaping any benefits form dual-core(dual-core is advisable), then that processor will perform nicely. The one stipulation when using AM2 CPU's, is that they really thrive on memory bandwidth, and as such, DDR2-800 is highly recommended. Dropping to lower-speed memory will limit performance to a fair degree. GL :) 
Related resources
March 11, 2009 7:12:31 AM

1Tanker said:
Quote:

Assuming that you don't foresee yourself reaping any benefits form dual-core(dual-core is advisable), then that processor will perform nicely. The one stipulation when using AM2 CPU's, is that they really thrive on memory bandwidth, and as such, DDR2-800 is highly recommended. Dropping to lower-speed memory will limit performance to a fair degree. GL :) 

a good cheap a efficent cpu to buy is a amd 3500+ orleans core it is very reliable and is cheap it has 512 kb of L2 cache i have run all of the latest games on it on they work perfect i also have a nvidea motherboard which is also a good board it is very fast and supports both single and double core and quad core the best socket on the motherboard is am2 i have a good graphics card as well it is a ati radeon x1650 pro and it does all the latest programmes no probs it will all cost you about £100
a c 788 à CPUs
a c 301 À AMD
March 11, 2009 11:19:02 PM

he he he he 2006
!