Upgrade Opinions, p4

Euphoria5125

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
I currently have a p4 650, i want to upgrade to a dual core system , here is my current setup.

P4 650 HT
ASUS P5nD2
1gb 667 Micron Ram 512x2
samsung 160gb sata 3.0 hdd
ATI x850xt pcie video card

Im considered a gamer, sence the only demanding thing my computer encounters is games..

I was thinking either go AMD, or stick with intel and get the Core 2 Duo.

Also, i was contemplating just upgrading too the p4D 960. Doing that i wouldn't have to upgrade my board(i don't think it supports C2D), thus saving money.

Thanks for checking out my post (my first one on these forums. :D

Also , thanks for any feedback. Jason

Your board won't support a Conroe :(
But if you pick up a good Intel Pentium D 805 2.66 GHz for $92 and OCZ Gold Series 2GB DDR2 667 for $229.99 you should do just fine.
Edit: Welcome to the forums bro. Hope you find all the answers to the questions you never had. Do you want to change your GFX card too or are you fine with what you have?

Euphoria5125

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
But if you pick up a good Intel Pentium D 805 2.66 GHz for $92 and OCZ Gold Series 2GB DDR2 667 for $229.99 you should do just fine.
Edit: Welcome to the forums bro. Hope you find all the answers to the questions you never had. Do you want to change your GFX card too or are you fine with what you have?

As Far as i know it does not, which was a bummer.. lol the 805 i can overclock the crap out of it? or should i get the higher clocked 960? i had a x1900xtx but i really only play CS:Source, and the x1900xtx was over kill so i unloaded it and bought an x850xt pe for 100$

evilr00t

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
If you want to pick up a Presler, you should go for the 915D since it's cooler and will OC a lot better (simply because it doesn't suffer from heat issues like Smithfield does). A lot of people are hitting 4.1+ on stock cooling.

If you have the money to buy a PD960, you ought to replace the motherboard with one that supports Conroe (ie. the $122shipped Gigabyte 965P-S3) and get a E6300.

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005

As Far as i know it does not, which was a bummer.. lol the 805 i can overclock the crap out of it? or should i get the higher clocked 960? i had a x1900xtx but i really only play CS:Source, and the x1900xtx was over kill so i unloaded it and bought an x850xt pe for 100$
I would compromise and buy a low end Presler (A 915 or 930) and overclock. This way, you avoid the heat of the 805 and the semi-rediculous price of the 960.

Then again, that's just me - I don't think any $350 Netburst chip is worth it now that the C2D is out.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
If you are really a gamer, your best bet would be to upgrade your GPU first.

^QFT !

Definetly upgrade your GPU before you start considering a CPU upgrade, then again, that X850XT may no longer be the best performer but it is by no mean obsolete.

Euphoria5125

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
yeahh, lol but ohh well , not that big of deal .. but for water cooling whats a decent kit that isnt 300$ and cools cpu and gpu, im gonna get a 930 and oc it extensivly too like 4 - 4+

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
yeahh, lol but ohh well , not that big of deal .. but for water cooling whats a decent kit that isnt 300$ and cools cpu and gpu, im gonna get a 930 and oc it extensivly too like 4 - 4+
The Corsair Nautilus 500 got a lot of great reviews, but you would have to pick-up a GPU block.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835181004

PS. Here..they put it on a 930D(without a GPU block), and overclock it to 4.2 GHz. :wink:

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/corsairnautilus500/4.html

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Forget about pre-built and self-contained kits, the vast majority of them are outperformed by high end heatpipe HSF, only DIY loops based on car heatercores are cost effective yet powerfull enough to make a significant difference.

TDX for LGA775 53$

MAZE4 GPU block 47$

Laing D5 75$

Chevette Heatercore 20$ (45$ if you include the shroud and a 120mm fan)

Or

Bonneville Heatercore 35$ (74$ if you include a double shroud and two 120mm fans)

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Obviously, you're going to need some T's, tubing and hose clamps to go along with the watercooling equipement but those can be bought dirt cheap from a home hardware store.

Euphoria5125

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
should i just get everything from them, or is it cheaper to get it from home depot?(the tubing, fittings, clamps) im gonna buy the pump , radiator, blocks, etc from DD

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Exactly, by getting the tubing et al. locally, you'll save on shipping and the slight overfee they charge on those minor yet essential items.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Forget about pre-built and self-contained kits, the vast majority of them are outperformed by high end heatpipe HSF, only DIY loops based on car heatercores are cost effective yet powerfull enough to make a significant difference.

TDX for LGA775 53$

MAZE4 GPU block 47$

Laing D5 75$

Chevette Heatercore 20$ (45$ if you include the shroud and a 120mm fan)

Or

Bonneville Heatercore 35$ (74$ if you include a double shroud and two 120mm fans)
Just remember, you asked about watercooling that wouldn't cost near $300. By the time you go with SidVicious's recommendations, and buy the hosing, clamps, fittings, anti-corrosive, you're at a much higher price than the Corsair. Granted,it should perform better, but obviously, by your post, cost is an issue.

Euphoria5125

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
Just remember, you asked about watercooling that wouldn't cost near $300. By the time you go with SidVicious's recommendations, and buy the hosing, clamps, fittings, anti-corrosive, you're at a much higher price than the Corsair. Granted,it should perform better, but obviously, by your post, cost is an issue.

Well for the most part, all i want is a Cpu , gpu, and if i have a system that can handle the north bridge aswell that would be optimal for me. so i think a custom DD would be the setup i need. correct?

edit= Cost can be an issue, but that just determines: A: How long i save for the initial project. B: The time it take for me to get all the parts to construct my project.. Depending on what i do , upgrade select parts or go all out and biuld a new rig completely.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Well for the most part, all i want is a Cpu , gpu, and if i have a system that can handle the north bridge aswell that would be optimal for me. so i think a custom DD would be the setup i need. correct?

edit= Cost can be an issue, but that just determines: A: How long i save for the initial project. B: The time it take for me to get all the parts to construct my project.. Depending on what i do , upgrade select parts or go all out and biuld a new rig completely.Well, water-cooling isn't a necessity to achieve good overclocks on a P930D. A high-end 120mm fanned heatsink(~$60) will get you over 4GHz with a decent mobo and RAM.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002

edit= Cost can be an issue, but that just determines: A: How long i save for the initial project. B: The time it take for me to get all the parts to construct my project.. Depending on what i do , upgrade select parts or go all out and biuld a new rig completely.Well, water-cooling isn't a necessity to achieve good overclocks on a P930D. A high-end 120mm fanned heatsink(~$60) will get you over 4GHz with a decent mobo and RAM.

Then again, I remember mentionning earlier (somewhat indirectly though) that high end heatpipe based HSF were second to a full blown DIY loop and ahead of watercooling kits, if money is a concern, a high end HSF will fit the bill yet perform admirably.

Sure, you don't need DIY watercooling to achieve a decent OC but you ought to go the extra mile if you want a cooling system that is significantly better than a high end HSF, a prebuilt WC kit just isn't worth it no matter how you look at it.

Euphoria5125

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
Sure, you don't need DIY watercooling to achieve a decent OC but you ought to go the extra mile if you want a cooling system that is significantly better than a high end HSF, a prebuilt WC kit just isn't worth it no matter how you look at it.

The point of WC would be to out-perform HSF. Thats why i feel comf. making the "DIY loop" my decision.

Back to the main subject of the thread, Will a presler oc'ed to 4ghz be able to even come close to the performance of the conroe? Ive seen the charts and some review on both, i guess im kinda asking someone who has had or has both to give me there opinion.