Any suggestions on Anti-virus software- Best available

Status
Not open for further replies.
AVG would most likely be THE worse, I've already seen it miss viruses. Something free, usually isn't as good a program you pay for most of the time.

The Main consumer race is mcafee, Norton, and TrendMicro (pccillin). Panda is one that has had the best coverage/stoppage for a few years. They seem to have very little difference really. Trendmicro is smaller than norton and mcafee and usually crashes/locks up less. Panda is somewhat similar to Trendmicro.

HelzBelz

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2002
AVG, much less intrusive, easier to use. Doesn't hog CPU.

I second that motion! Get the free version here:

Get AVG Anti-Virus Free

Small footprint, doesn't slow down your system, automatic virus database updates, and is free for personnal use.

Top notch product, really. I've been using it for 3 years on multiple systems, and I don't miss any of the other "paying / subscription based" software.

Try it for a while: it's free and easily uninstallable, so no worries there; you don't like it, remove it... Have you ever tried to completely remove Norton? A real pain!

Regards,

HelzBelz

Edited: Don't be fooled by the "free" option. AVG is a paying software for corporations or professional uses; that's how it can keep up (and surpass, IMO) other paying titles. As for "missing" viruses: well, I've had the worst of luck with Norton and McAfee, while AVG would detect the viruses others have looked over... Your mileage may vary, of course.

trixst4r

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
AVG, much less intrusive, easier to use. Doesn't hog CPU.

I second AVG. I've only had it for my new rig but it has been working nicely. I have symantec corporate edition which was pretty good also but for some reason on this new computer, everytime i shut down, I get that window where it says "waiting to close application" and it slows down my shutdown "speed".

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
OMG i cant believe wat im hearing!!!

norton?, mcaffe?, avg?

IMO norton is the worst and mcafee 2nd worst.
they are both slow crappy system hogs, expecially norton. and norton is hard to remove properly!
stay away from norton ppl.

avg is ok, but not as good as ather stuf.

i would recommend nod32 or if not nod then kaspersky. both fairly light on resources, great detection aswell.
bitdefender is sopposedly very good but i have never used it

On no account should anyone install Norton on their computer even if it is free when you buy your computer. It is a resource hog and will slow down your computer significantly and if you try to uninstall it, it will trash your system. MacAfee is a little better but not much, so my vote goes to AVG free.

shogunboy

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006
Well, now I have norton anti-viurs (like other nortons, but less cpu hogging, its free forever, and and works). The only problem is that the only way I know to get it is to go UCSD's Double E(electrcial engineer) class. But AVG and avast is good to use if your short on money. If you get money however, as everyone else said, avoid the norton (not school version), and that other anti-virus that I can't spell.

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
if u dont wanna spend money get avast or avg.
or im not saying u should do this but u can just get a good 1 from a friend so u dont have 2 pay.

i recommend
1)nod32
2)kaspersky
3)bitdefender

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
You know what? I say AVG all the f'ing way. My dad uses the Pro version for his server, we use the free version at home.

I trust AVG with my life. I mean files.

~Ibrahim~

fsalazar90

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Kaspersky.
End of discussion.

Coming from someone who has had experience with the making of trojans undetectable.

Download it from their site.
uh.....
sub serials . net is a nice place to visit when you are bored....
They got lots of files and no pr 0n or malware in their downloads.

mabaty

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Why has nobody mentioned ZoneAlarm... I use ZoneAlarm Antivirus and Firewall both are great, more expensive.. it was like 60-70 bucks for security suite but well worth it, its stable and does not hog cpu to bad. The firewall is the best I have used so far hands down.

Mcafeeused to be good like 10 years ago, crap now if you ask me, i would never use them.

Same for norton

trend micros is ok better than mcafee anyway.

Mixndj1

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Using Computer Associates EZ Trust Antivirus. I used Norton in the past and it was memory intensive and very restrictive. EZ Trust is so much easier to use.

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
Why has nobody mentioned ZoneAlarm... I use ZoneAlarm Antivirus and Firewall both are great, more expensive.. it was like 60-70 bucks for security suite but well worth it, its stable and does not hog cpu to bad. The firewall is the best I have used so far hands down.

coz he wants an av not a firewall+av or security suite.
zone alarm firewall is excellent, 2nd best IMO after outpost pro.
i dont really like the av though. very few features. also i find za 2 be more of a system hog than other products.

so 2 the guy who started this here is your answer
if u r cheap and dont wanna buy anythin get avg
if u wanna buy something(or get it from elsewhere :wink: , not mentioning anything) get nod32 or kaspersky.

the only bad thing about kaspersky is that wen it finds something it sounds like pig is dying.

glockman

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
I want to second the vote for Computer Associates - the AV is good but there are several good AV engines - I vote for CA because I think that the Pest Patrol anti spyware you can get bundled with it is better than all of the others I have tried and has the fastest scanning engine I have seen.

AVG is good too, I agree with the other posters about McAfee & Norton being fat system hogs! I use a different AV on all of my different systems at home just to see what they are all like - someone mentioned Trend Micro, I think that had too many popups for my liking.

The AVG site also has a free anti spyware called ewidio.

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Ditto on NOD32, excellent heuristics, and detection rate, small footprint, pretty reasonable at around $35, interface isn't the best (but certainly not the worst). Otherwise AVG is a great free alternative.

I vote for Trend Micro's PC-cillin(internet security) if you go the money(its not that much...but not free). It is more system sucking then AVG but it nothing compaired to norton...

Failing that AVG free
if the world is ending and your computer is going to be nuked anyway....then you can break out the norton.... :)

advcomp2019

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
For a paid antivirus, I would say Kaspersky. If someone wants a free antivirus, I would say Avast and AVG. I tell every one to stay away from Norton and McAfee.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
wow... I haven't use an Anti-Virus program for two years now. I don't even have spybot S&D or Adaware installed anymore. Ever since I switched to firefox, I've not had any virus or spyware problems, so I just stopped installing these programs. A regiment of Zone Alarm and Firefox (basically anything other than IE) gets my vote.

In the last year or so I haven’t had any Viruses or Trojans appearing on my computer, I guess that all of the updates to the Microsoft products are paying off. Maybe you could get by without any anti-virus program nowadays, providing you keep your computer fully patched with the latest updates.
I also repair computers for a living and the number of viruses on customer’s computers has also dropped in the past year. Trojans are still a problem but they are nearly always loaded onto the computer by naïve youngsters.

Status
Not open for further replies.