LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34433

The Inq is reporting that everything is cleared up

here is the overall ....

Brisbane aka Rev G is just a die shrink to 65um of current Athlons
they should be hitting the marker in early DEC

this is nothing new with the same chip being sold at different micron at the same time..... this will happend again... i suspect the 65um will be a better overclocker...

the K8L QC aka REV H codename Barcelona, is on track to be released in Q2 2007. The QC K8L will fit in current AM2 boards with no mods.

in Q4\06.... BUDAPHEST will launch ...its is the same as Barcelona but with HTT 3.0 built in.

Shanghai comes in Q1 2008....is the 22xx and 88xx Opterons K8L.
This may have been the chip that confused people into thinking that K8L wasnt to be released until 2008..

this is coming from the INQ...but from what I have seen its makes sense.... The K8L taped out months ago ..why would it take till 2008 to ship...

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
So, which story is right, and what timetable is it on? The short version is that all QC parts are the new core, Rev H, any stories to the contrary, including mine, are wrong. That said, the timelines, all three of them, are correct. There are two new cores coming from AMD, and three times for introductions.
Hooray, now Charlie can't contradict himself.
But he'll do it anyway.

here is the overall ....

this is nothing new with the same chip being sold at different micron at the same time..... this will happend again... i suspect the 65um will be a better overclocker...

Interesting this is a brisbane in stock:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103741

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005

here is the overall ....

Interesting this is a brisbane in stock:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103741
http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/details.aspx?opn=ADA4200IAA5CU
I'm not really sure what to make of it. Someone here has to know: does the Windsor core X2 use stepping F2?

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
First of all, I've been saying Rev G was simply a K8 die shrink for a long time and that the blue 65nm die that everyone claims was Rev G was simply a prototype.

Secondly, if there is Barcelona, Shanghai, Budapest, whatever happened to Deerhound in mid-2007, Greyhound for desktop in Q1 2008, Zamora for 4P in Q1 2008, and Cadiz for 2P in Q1 2008? The Inquirer has also mentioned Cerberus for 4P and Wolfhound for 2P, both in mid 2008. Suddenly all those processors no longer exist. What's more, the term "hound core", which I believe AMD themself coined, ceases to have meaning since none of the cores are called "hounds" anymore. It's hard to tell whether AMD is naming and creating their processors or The Inquirer is.

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
maybe AMD was throwing smoke screens.... maybe the K8L is moving faster thaan AMD thought

maybe AMD figured they needed the K8L sooner than later...

I always say FOLLOW THE MONEY

DELL has went from dipping a toe in the AMD pool...to diving in head first... Maybe DELL saw the K8L and wanted all in... or maybe they told AMD the faster you get us the K8L the more money we will throw at u.....follow the money

evilr00t

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
maybe AMD was throwing smoke screens.... maybe the K8L is moving faster thaan AMD thought

I always say FOLLOW THE MONEY

DELL has went from dipping a toe in the AMD pool...to diving in head first... Maybe DELL saw the K8L and wanted all in... or maybe they told AMD the faster you get us the K8L the more money we will throw at u.....follow the money

Stop the speculation, or you'll throw out your credibility.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004

That really doesn't make sense. The dates in the article are in line with previous estimates. Deerhound in mid-2007 (which includes Q2) and Zamora/Cadiz/Greyhound in Q1 2008. So nothing has really moved ahead. It just doesn't make sense that AMD would change their core names especially when they are so far underway, it's a lot of paperwork and confusion. AMD has even stated in their slides about Deerhound so it coudn't have just been a smokescreen or a misinterpretation. It existed, now it doesn't according to The Inquirer. Maybe they talked to the same AMD representative that told them about the ultimate ultra-secret RHT available in every Rev F and just waiting to be activated in July in time to crush Conroe.

mabaty

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
The reason Dell went with the AMD proc's is because they could either lower the price of or make a little more off there low-end e-mail machine.(due to amd price drops) maybe they had alot of extras due to theretaking of alienware :?

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
by the time JOE USER learns what a CONROE is...or even what a CORE 2 DUO is....AMD will have the ATHLON X4 out

I think we in the know...think everyone is in the know....

evilr00t

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
You didn't finish your point.
by the time JOE USER learns what a CONROE is...or even what a CORE 2 DUO is....AMD will have the ATHLON X4 out
by the time JOE USER learns what a DEERHOUND is...or even what a ATHLON X4 is....Intel will have the Core3 Octo out

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005

I think we in the know...think everyone is in the know....
I can safely say from personal experience that most Joe Users don't even know what AMD is.

Intel Inside: Annoying, but effective.

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
In fact, AMD has only really proven itself once -- Opteron/K8, before that they were always considered second runner up

i totally disagree with that statement

in 1999 with the release of the orginal Athlon... it smacked around the P3 Katmai core....

intel responded with Coppermine
... and that got smacked up by the thunderbird...

williamette was torched by AMD

northwood kicked ass... until the K8 kicked its ass

so i see the crown passing back and forth for the past 7 years....

Is Conroe so great that the trend will end?

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Well, no, to be honest, K7 was ahead of Pentium 3 most of the time, and so it was compared to Willamette.
AMD even was the first to reach the milestone of 1GHz, and Intel stumbled in the recalled P3 1.13 GHz and the rambus and Memory Translation Hub affairs..
It's true that back then AMD wasn't still accepted and perceived as a real competitor to Intel for perfomance, but to be honest, it was, since the introduction of the K7.
However, yes this all doesn't tell us much about what to expect for the future..
K8L might be ahead of Core 2 in terms of IPC (even though i suspect they'll be pretty close), but what about clock speed?
I didn't read about any pipeline enhancements which might suggest a better scaling of K8L compared to K8, and Core 2 is certainly much better than K8 even in that department..
If AMD get's a 5% advantage in IPC, and a 20% disadvantage in clock speed, they'll be behind.
Except that we have also to throw in multicore scalability in the equation, which might favor AMD, but only in some kind of applications.
It's hard to speculate something sensible at this point.. :)

Julian33

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Oh well, looks like I'll be sticking with Core 2. I'm planning on replacing my current computer in March/April next year, after Vista is out with DX10 graphics cards and theres been a couple of months for drivers to sort themselves out. Q2 for Rev. H puts it at April earliest, assuming the desktop chips are launched then.

Was hoping AMD would have a competetive solution out by the time I build my next machine, but looks like they're going to be a few months too late :(