i960 prints blanks

My i960 prints blanks when I select grayscale. I ran a nozzle check
and its all blank. I also ran several deep cleaning functions to no
avail.

what is my next step?

1. Is it worth buying those cleaning kits advertized on Ebay for 20
dollars?

2. Should I buy a new print head? If so where is the cheapest genuine
canon? or is the new equivalent printer cheaper?
11 answers Last reply
More about i960 prints blanks

    > > My i960 prints blanks when I select grayscale. I ran a nozzle check
    > > and its all blank. I also ran several deep cleaning functions to no
    > > avail.
    > > what is my next step?

    > > 1. Is it worth buying those cleaning kits advertized on Ebay for 20
    > > dollars?

    > > 2. Should I buy a new print head? If so where is the cheapest genuine
    > > canon? or is the new equivalent printer cheaper?

    > get an ip3000

    I must with respect disagree. the i960 is a 6 tank printer with 512
    nozzles per tank. The ip3000 is a 4 tank printer while having 512
    nozzles for cyan and magenta it only has 256 yellow nozzles. The
    ip6000 while a match for the tanks only has 1/2 the nozzles. There are
    good reasons to keep the i960 in service, the simple fact of the matter
    is the only option offered by canon that matches or exceeds it's
    specifications that i'm aware of is the new ip6600 that offeres 1pl
    drop size and 9600 x 2400 dpi. It's fair comment that a $200 printer
    "might" be an improvement, but an ip3000 clearly wouldn't be.
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/canon_i960_pg2.html

    Canon didn't really make an equilivent to the i960. Many assume the
    ip6000 is, but it has 1/2 the nozzles of the i960 and is generally
    accepted as being slower. had it not been for my need for cd printing
    I would have bought the i960 in a heart beat even though it's an older
    model it was canon's high end photo printer and even by today's
    standards it's still a very decent photo printer.

    The ip6600 has no reviews out yet, so it's unclear how well it peforms
    in contrast to the i960. This is academic as the ip6600 isn't even on
    the market yet, not that i'm aware of anyway... so as of today there
    isn't really an equilivent to the i960.

    That being said, you "might" be able to find another i960 for the
    $100-$150 range, definatly the $150 to $200 range.
    You can get a replacement printhead for the $80 to $140 range
    http://www.weink.com/ecom/catalog/genuine_canon_brand_replacement_0043_printhead_2869767.htm
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-i960-Printhead_W0QQitemZ6745984063QQcategoryZ51328QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    Not prices are based on what i've seen... there may be better deals i'm
    unaware of.

    But this all assumes that you have a burnt out printhead... where it
    could be a clog.

    Cleaning cartridges might be likely to work, but windex or alcohol are
    typicaly reccomended for cleaning... or windex no-drip formula. On an
    older model canon, I just put the printhead in a dish with windex on it
    and let it soak. Others put windex in old canon tanks and clean that
    way. It's up to you whether you want to buy a cleaning kit or use
    windex... but I would strongly reccomend you attempt cleaning your
    printhead before considering buying a new one or a new printer. It's a
    good printer while only worth 1/2 it's msrp of two years ago is still a
    good egg and one would not be foolish keeping it in service or buying
    an identical one to replace it.

    "World Investor" <canadianpatriot1@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > My i960 prints blanks when I select grayscale. I ran a nozzle check
    > and its all blank. I also ran several deep cleaning functions to no
    > avail.
    >
    > what is my next step?
    >
    > 1. Is it worth buying those cleaning kits advertized on Ebay for 20
    > dollars?
    >
    > 2. Should I buy a new print head? If so where is the cheapest genuine
    > canon? or is the new equivalent printer cheaper?

    get an ip3000

    When not in gray scale what do you print? I don't know if the nozzle check
    selects only black when the printer is set to gray scale - probably not. If
    the printer hasn't been used for a long while or if the ink tanks have been
    run dry, you may have the mother of all clogs. Could also be a dead print
    head. Go onto the following sites and read the info on cleaning the print
    head. You can use materials you have in your home and save the expense of
    the cleaning kit.
    http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/

    http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html

    ..

    Q: My printer isn't printing properly, what should I do?
    A: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=63
    A: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/search . 1310276903

    These are links from the Nifty forum that have to do with print head
    cleaning

    "World Investor" <canadianpatriot1@rogers.com> wrote in message

    > My i960 prints blanks when I select grayscale. I ran a nozzle check
    > and its all blank. I also ran several deep cleaning functions to no
    > avail.
    >
    > what is my next step?
    >
    > 1. Is it worth buying those cleaning kits advertized on Ebay for 20
    > dollars?
    >
    > 2. Should I buy a new print head? If so where is the cheapest genuine
    > canon? or is the new equivalent printer cheaper?

    Can you print text?
    If so I doubt the problem is a clogged printhead.
    Do color photos print with adequate blacks?
    If so the there is not likely a clogged print head.
    If nothing prints out of the black cartridge under any circumstances make
    sure it is installed correctly. A replacement is only $12 and is cheaper
    than a replacement printhead. It is easy to put the wrong cartridge in a 960
    or install it incorrectly (I suspect something like this is your problem).
    The 960 IMHOP is a rugged, well designed printer saddled with typically
    execrable Canon software.
    Several Pixmas use the same cartridges as the i960s (talk about old
    technology repackaged as new!) so if you do go the upgrade route and have
    many ink cartridges you can still use them.
    If you want to move up to a real color managed printer with reliable color
    managed printing ditch the Canon (forget the entire Canon printer line) and
    get an Epson. HP has also improved in recent iterations at the high end.
    Unless you are into creating custom printer/paper profiles for your midlevel
    Canon printer which will still not be as accurate as canned Epson
    paper/printer profiles that ship with the driver . . . . (been there, done
    that).

    I took out the print head and it looks like a pool of black ink is
    collecting in one of the nozzles. Can I just soak it in alcohol
    overnight? Looks like some electrical components are part of the head
    will that be damaged?

    Burt wrote:
    > When not in gray scale what do you print? I don't know if the nozzle check
    > selects only black when the printer is set to gray scale - probably not. If
    > the printer hasn't been used for a long while or if the ink tanks have been
    > run dry, you may have the mother of all clogs. Could also be a dead print
    > head. Go onto the following sites and read the info on cleaning the print
    > head. You can use materials you have in your home and save the expense of
    > the cleaning kit.
    > http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/
    >
    > http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html
    >
    > .
    >
    > Q: My printer isn't printing properly, what should I do?
    > A: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=63
    > A: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/search . 1310276903
    >
    > These are links from the Nifty forum that have to do with print head
    > cleaning
    >
    > "World Investor" <canadianpatriot1@rogers.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > My i960 prints blanks when I select grayscale. I ran a nozzle check
    > > and its all blank. I also ran several deep cleaning functions to no
    > > avail.
    > >
    > > what is my next step?
    > >
    > > 1. Is it worth buying those cleaning kits advertized on Ebay for 20
    > > dollars?
    > >
    > > 2. Should I buy a new print head? If so where is the cheapest genuine
    > > canon? or is the new equivalent printer cheaper?

    You need to read through the sites I mentioned as there is lots of info
    there about printhead problems. Did you leave the printer in color mode and
    do a nozzle check? That would tell you if any of the nozzles are firing.
    Of course, for this to work you need to have all cartridges in place with
    enough ink to do a nozzle check pattern. The cartridges also have to be
    working properly! Are they OEM or have you refilled them? I refill my
    cartridges and have to be aware of when cartridges work optimally and when
    they cease to work properly. Have you not printed for a long, long time
    with this printer? Need more info. PLEASE - educate yourself a bit by
    reading the nifty-stuff forum threads on head cleaning. If you still need
    more info, sign on to that forum and ask there as well as there are people
    more knowledgeable than me to deal with this problem. If you have a leaking
    cartridge (sounds like it) that will stop that particular color from
    printing as well under some circumstances.

    >I took out the print head and it looks like a pool of black ink is
    > collecting in one of the nozzles. Can I just soak it in alcohol
    > overnight? Looks like some electrical components are part of the head
    > will that be damaged?
    >
    > Burt wrote:
    >> When not in gray scale what do you print? I don't know if the nozzle
    >> check
    >> selects only black when the printer is set to gray scale - probably not.
    >> If
    >> the printer hasn't been used for a long while or if the ink tanks have
    >> been
    >> run dry, you may have the mother of all clogs. Could also be a dead
    >> print
    >> head. Go onto the following sites and read the info on cleaning the
    >> print
    >> head. You can use materials you have in your home and save the expense
    >> of
    >> the cleaning kit.
    >> http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/
    >>
    >> http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html
    >>
    >> .
    >>
    >> Q: My printer isn't printing properly, what should I do?
    >> A: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=63
    >> A: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/search . 1310276903
    >>
    >> These are links from the Nifty forum that have to do with print head
    >> cleaning
    >>
    >> "World Investor" <canadianpatriot1@rogers.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > My i960 prints blanks when I select grayscale. I ran a nozzle check
    >> > and its all blank. I also ran several deep cleaning functions to no
    >> > avail.
    >> >
    >> > what is my next step?
    >> >
    >> > 1. Is it worth buying those cleaning kits advertized on Ebay for 20
    >> > dollars?
    >> >
    >> > 2. Should I buy a new print head? If so where is the cheapest genuine
    >> > canon? or is the new equivalent printer cheaper?

    YEAH GOTO TO HIS CHURCH TO GET INDOCTRINATED IN HIS AFTERMARKET BULLSHIT

    Burt wrote:

    >When not in gray scale what do you print? I don't know if the nozzle check
    >selects only black when the printer is set to gray scale - probably not. If
    >the printer hasn't been used for a long while or if the ink tanks have been
    >run dry, you may have the mother of all clogs. Could also be a dead print
    >head. Go onto the following sites and read the info on cleaning the print
    >head. You can use materials you have in your home and save the expense of
    >the cleaning kit.
    >http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/
    >
    >http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html
    >
    >.
    >
    >Q: My printer isn't printing properly, what should I do?
    >A: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=63
    >A: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/search . 1310276903
    >
    >These are links from the Nifty forum that have to do with print head
    >cleaning
    >
    >"World Investor" <canadianpatriot1@rogers.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>My i960 prints blanks when I select grayscale. I ran a nozzle check
    >>and its all blank. I also ran several deep cleaning functions to no
    >>avail.
    >>
    >>what is my next step?
    >>
    >>1. Is it worth buying those cleaning kits advertized on Ebay for 20
    >>dollars?
    >>
    >>2. Should I buy a new print head? If so where is the cheapest genuine
    >>canon? or is the new equivalent printer cheaper?

    CALL TECH SUPPORT. DO NOT USE AFTERMARKET ANYTHING. DO NOT LISTEN TO
    THIS PASTOR.

    World Investor wrote:
    > I took out the print head and it looks like a pool of black ink is
    > collecting in one of the nozzles. Can I just soak it in alcohol
    > overnight? Looks like some electrical components are part of the head
    > will that be damaged?

    Don't soak in alchool for that long. Use distilled water and do it for
    30 minutes. Rinse the ink intakes from the upper side as well. Water is
    good enough to unclog the print head.

    On 5 Sep 2005 11:04:07 -0700, "World Investor"
    <canadianpatriot1@rogers.com> wrote:

    >My i960 prints blanks when I select grayscale. I ran a nozzle check
    >and its all blank. I also ran several deep cleaning functions to no
    >avail.
    >
    >what is my next step?
    >
    >1. Is it worth buying those cleaning kits advertized on Ebay for 20
    >dollars?
    >
    >2. Should I buy a new print head? If so where is the cheapest genuine
    >canon? or is the new equivalent printer cheaper?

    Next step (for me) would be to pull the printhead and put it face down
    on a moist lint free cloth or paper towel and let it sit for a few
    hours to let the water dissolve the clots and the capillary action
    pull out the ink residue. I'd use de ionized or distilled water, as
    it's less likely to promote corrosion. Some people in this group
    suggest using Windex (or Indolence - UK), but the ammonia solution is
    slightly corrosive, so if you opt to go that route, rinse it with
    distilled water afterwards. Afterwards, you may need to run through
    several pages of "ink spew" before the ink is flowing well enough to
    get an even halfway recognizable printout.

    A new printhead for the i960 is roughly $100 to $120 Canadian at
    stores in Toronto that actually stock them (the Canon printheads
    aren't a commonly stocked item). You can find them cheaper if you
    hunt online at some US sites (though the shipping and currency
    conversion fees may bring it back up there).

    As for the kits, I've never used them, so I've no idea how useful they
    are.
    Thanks.

    MCheu
  11. The tip that works to fix a baldly clogged print head is to remove the print head, and spray and soak it in "Simple Green" for at least 3 hours. Then use compressed air to force the "Simple Green" through the heads from the screens in the ink wells, to the print head. Then use the air from the print heads, you will see foaming by each print screen. Be carefull not to lose the small rubber inserts around the print screen. Rince the print head with clear water and repeat the compressed air until dry. Replace, and put the ink cartriges back in, and bingo, your printer will work like new again!

Printers Peripherals