Sign in with
Your question

http://www.ibuypower.com questions

Last response: in Systems
September 17, 2006 3:37:56 AM

Hey I found this site and the prices are awesome I can put together a nice gaming PC for around $1500 seems pretty good but the reviews for the site on http://resellerratings.com are petty mixed alot of dissatisfied reviews.

Has anyone has any experience with them? I really like the prices they offer but I don't want to get screwed over.
September 17, 2006 3:59:08 AM

Quote:
Hey I found this site and the prices are awesome I can put together a nice gaming PC for around $1500 seems pretty good but the reviews for the site on http://resellerratings.com are petty mixed alot of dissatisfied reviews.

Has anyone has any experience with them? I really like the prices they offer but I don't want to get screwed over.

Come on build your own. You can do it. It is not hard, and you get exactly what you want.

Review sites are going to have a negative spin. Pissed off people are much more like to rant then a happy customer.
September 17, 2006 4:13:47 AM

I'd build my own but I've never tried and I don't know anything about putting them together.
Related resources
September 17, 2006 4:23:43 AM

The important thing to remember about resellerratings.com is that companies can artificially pad their ratings but can't prevent real buyer feedback.

Even ignoring this, anybody can slap a card into a slot and install windows. What is more telling is how problems were (or weren't) resolved, and when getting a whole system, the terms, policies, and support in general may be far more important (especially to someone who doesn't feel up to building their own).

Frankly, in your situation I'd go with a Dell. They are a good value but also there is such a huge user base that problems and fixes are found through the user community.

On the other hand, everybody has to build their first system "sometime", if your current one works good, take your time and have fun with it.
September 17, 2006 4:38:29 AM

I'd go with dell but they're very expensive for what I'm looking at. I want a PC for around $1500 with a good graphics card and a conroe CPU 2gb of ram.
September 17, 2006 5:51:54 AM

I would say build your own. Tomshardware has alot of reviews on how to do it step by step, just use the Search feature.
And in this forums you can find alot of help on every specific part.
September 17, 2006 8:03:27 AM

Hey I managed to get together a nice dell system with a Conroe E6600 2GB of RAM and a 7900GS for around $1300. How well is the 7900GS? It's cheaper than the 7900GTX but is there alot of difference between the two?
September 17, 2006 1:10:15 PM

I purchased my first "gaming" computer from ibuypower about 4 years ago, I never had any problems and it still works like a charm to this day. Although I have no complaints about the experience, I would suggest building your own.
September 17, 2006 1:36:34 PM

check out ABS

Bought one from them 8 years ago, just died last week. Cutomer service was great, although I only had to call once.

On another note, build your own.
September 17, 2006 1:51:09 PM

Quote:
check out ABS

Bought one from them 8 years ago, just died last week. Cutomer service was great, although I only had to call once.

On another note, build your own.

ABS is owned by Newegg, so of course it rocks. :) 
September 17, 2006 1:57:28 PM

Quote:
Hey I managed to get together a nice dell system with a Conroe E6600 2GB of RAM and a 7900GS for around $1300. How well is the 7900GS? It's cheaper than the 7900GTX but is there alot of difference between the two?

The GTX will smoke the GS by 50-70%. That being said, the 7900GS will still play every game you throw at it now, and give you a nice upgrade path for DX10 cards (not spending a bunch now).

I built a Dell XPS 410 for $1,430.

Conroe E6600
1GB of RAM @ 667MHz
250GB hard drive
DVD burner
7900GS
19" digital LCD
keyboard/mouse
1 year warranty
Windows MCE
13-in-1 media card reader & Firewire adaptor

Obviously you can do better on your own.. But that would not be a horrible starting point- especially since it includes a 19" LCD.
September 17, 2006 8:07:42 PM

Quote:

The GTX will smoke the GS by 50-70%. That being said, the 7900GS will still play every game you throw at it now, and give you a nice upgrade path for DX10 cards (not spending a bunch now).

I built a Dell XPS 410 for $1,430.

Conroe E6600
1GB of RAM @ 667MHz
250GB hard drive
DVD burner
7900GS
19" digital LCD
keyboard/mouse
1 year warranty
Windows MCE
13-in-1 media card reader & Firewire adaptor

Obviously you can do better on your own.. But that would not be a horrible starting point- especially since it includes a 19" LCD.

I built the same system save for the monitor and an extra GB of ram I don't need a new monitor right now so that's why it was only $1300.

I think I will get the GS It's going to be a huge improvment over my aging 9800 pro and it's cheap enough once these graphics card's prices go down I can replace it with a better one.
September 17, 2006 8:52:31 PM

i own a new ibuypower machine. I love the thing. i was going to buy my own but my mom didn't quite want me ordering something that didn't have a set warrenty. I mean, it works just fine. For about 1800 bucks i got a conroe e6600, a 7950 GX2, 2 gigs of corosair extremem ram, 300 gig hard drive running on an Asus P5N SLI (with XP media center edition). i thought it was a great deal. Except ibuypower tends to do quarky things with the inards of the computer. they leave things unplugged. Like my friends case fans came unplugged, and my hard drive wasn't connected. I'm not sure weather or not they do that just to make sure their buyers aren't incompetent, but it works fine. I've had it for about a month and i haven't had a single problem. I say they work great.
September 17, 2006 9:46:31 PM

Hardocp has a review of a IBUYPOWER computer, and needless to say it was not very faltering for IBUYPOWER.

http://consumer.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA4NywxLCxoY29uc3VtZXI=

There are allot of other quality system builders and even local computer shops that could offer much better build quality service and support then IBUYPOWER at around the same price.
*edited link
September 17, 2006 10:30:08 PM

I'm going to order the system from dell my sister has a PC from them and it runs well. Thanks for all the help. :) 
September 17, 2006 11:33:08 PM

Quote:
I'm going to order the system from dell my sister has a PC from them and it runs well. Thanks for all the help. :) 

When you decide you want to build (after you find out you can't upgrade your Dell) we'll be here to help. :) 

High regards,
Howard
September 17, 2006 11:45:30 PM

Quote:

When you decide you want to build (after you find out you can't upgrade your Dell) we'll be here to help. :) 

High regards,
Howard

Heheh I'm not much of an upgrader anyways :p .
!