Sign in with
Your question

Please help...New build + COD2 crash

Last response: in Systems
September 17, 2006 5:10:51 AM

I'll start by saying that COD2 Crashes after a fresh install of XP and I can't quite figure out why. I run the game max settings at 1920x1200 chosing only the single player option. System specs are in my sig. The screen freezes at random points through any of the earlier missions (as I havn't got that far in the game yet due to the freezes) but I still get all of the ambient noises and speech from the germans in the background, but the screen is just stuck. Once in a while, after freezing for about 5 seconds the screen jumps ahead a couple of frames, but only one and gets stuck again. Like I said, it only does the jump ahead thing once maybe every 5 times I try and play the game, but I get the freeze every time I play, it's just a matter of time. The game is set to optomized for SLI.

I have tested the system and all my components are physically OK (memtest and the whole bit). I'm new to the Nvidia chipset and all of the new features found on my motherboard and have never used SLI until this build. I believe I have a newer revision of the 7900GTs so I don't believe the cards to be plagued by the 7900GT problems as I've tested both cards alone in 3dmark 06 and Oblivion before reformating (thinking a fresh install might cure the COD2 issues). Again, all of my hardware seems to check out OK.

Having little knowledge of the Nvidia based MBs, I'm wondering if maybe this could be a 590 chipset issue, driver issues, or software issues...I'm unsure. I used the latest drivers from Gigabyte's homepage on the fresh XP install this time around aswell. Also, I'm using the 91.47 Nvidia drivers for the GPUs on the fresh install.

My memory is Mushkin XP2 PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL 4-4-3-10. (don't think it gives the details in my sig)

I've heard that this board has issues with DDR2 800 memory and that some people have solved some issues by lowering the frequency. Their symptoms don't seem to match mine though, and I've run all kinds of tests. Also, other games like Oblivion seemed to work fine. WOW runs perfect for hours on end in SLI mode aswell as single card mode.

HELP!

I'm at my wits end with COD2. Just bought the game and now this....

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I downloaded the COD2 patch to 1.3 but still no luck.

More about : build cod2 crash

September 17, 2006 6:38:36 AM

What's your brand and model PS? Any idea of system, CPU, GPU, and any other temps?
September 17, 2006 9:47:15 AM

See that's the thing I'm a little skeptical about, the PSU. It's an Antec NeoPower 480W PSU. I did a plethora of tests with ammeters and voltmeters while under full load while running Oblivion in SLI. I cranked the graphics and put the system through hell. The Voltage drop was minimal on the 12V rails, very acceptable.

I guess I'm a little hard-pressed to buy a new PSU after only a year and a half of owning this one, lol. It's a great PSU and seems very stable with the tests I was doing. I have yet to get some proper temp readings out of the board for both CPU and the GPUs. Just yesterday I installed a KamaBay fan that takes up three 5 1/4" bay slots to get mass airflow over the motherboard. I'll report back when I get home to give you guys some idea of temps. I imagine temps will only be ~<60 degrees.

I'll report back when I've done a little more testing and checks the temperatures again.

Thanks guys.

Edit: The power consumption of the new AM2 3800+ is VERY low. Also took a look at the real world power consumption of the 7900GT and even bumped it up a bit to compensate for the factory OC on the cards. To me, it looks like I have enough power.

Any ideas on what my computer consumes for power with a breakdown for me?

Plextor SATA optical drive
4 120mm case fans
G15 keyboard and razer mouse
and the rest of the computer is in the sig.
Related resources
September 17, 2006 11:09:54 AM

Try to run the game on a single card, Turn the eye candy down some and crank it back up to that resolution *since you won't be using SLI anymore* Not sure how well a single 7900gt can handle that game with full graphics maybe it can at that resolution..

Anyways, This could answer your question. If it is stable then indeed it probably is a power drain. A 480w PSU is cutting it really close for SLI with those 2 cards.
September 17, 2006 12:36:08 PM

Quote:
See that's the thing I'm a little skeptical about, the PSU. It's an Antec NeoPower 480W PSU. I did a plethora of tests with ammeters and voltmeters while under full load while running Oblivion in SLI. I cranked the graphics and put the system through hell. The Voltage drop was minimal on the 12V rails, very acceptable.

I guess I'm a little hard-pressed to buy a new PSU after only a year and a half of owning this one, lol. It's a great PSU and seems very stable with the tests I was doing. I have yet to get some proper temp readings out of the board for both CPU and the GPUs. Just yesterday I installed a KamaBay fan that takes up three 5 1/4" bay slots to get mass airflow over the motherboard. I'll report back when I get home to give you guys some idea of temps. I imagine temps will only be ~<60 degrees.

I'll report back when I've done a little more testing and checks the temperatures again.

Thanks guys.

Edit: The power consumption of the new AM2 3800+ is VERY low. Also took a look at the real world power consumption of the 7900GT and even bumped it up a bit to compensate for the factory OC on the cards. To me, it looks like I have enough power.

Any ideas on what my computer consumes for power with a breakdown for me?

Plextor SATA optical drive
4 120mm case fans
G15 keyboard and razer mouse
and the rest of the computer is in the sig.

Dude, I would DEFINITELY look at the PSU. From what your runing (and what is recommended by Nvidia) you need more juice bra.
See if you can get your hands on a beefier PSU and swap it out. I would test that first.
I had to RMA BOTH my BFG 7800GTX's cuz one was bad. When I talked to tech supp I politely requested if they could rma BOTH cards and they agreed. After consideration, they upgraded me to the same cards as you have.... the 7900GT OC 256mb cards. They also agreed to test both cards on a comparable rig as mine at their factory in SLI over 3 days with benchmarks, they even played COD2, fear, oblivion (I'm sure they enjoyed that :wink: ) before they sent these cards back to me. I believe that SLI cards have a similar characteristic as matching DDR RAM memory does....ie Corsair. They are rigorously tested side by side for compatability. YOu may also have a pair of cards that just don't play well together under certain circumstances.
I know you said other games play well...so this might your problem. That's how I solved my problem so .....good luck bro. BFG is great for RMA requests though so it shouldn't be a prob.

Antec P180 Performance Case
SeaSonic S12 600 PSU
Asus A8N32 SLI S-939 (bios 1103 V02.58 )
RealTek 97 Onboard
AMD 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core (AMD v 1.3.1.0/MS hotfix/ Dual Optimizer)
2 gigs Corsair 3500LL Pro @ 437Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG 7900 GT OC in SLI (NV 91.31)
WD RAPTOR 74.3 gig HDD / XP Home / SP2 & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 Gig /Gaming / Movies / MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 Gig /backup (unplugged)
Sony CDrom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Razer DiamondBack Optical mouse
Logitech Z-5500 Dolby Digital 5.1 THX 500watts
September 17, 2006 2:12:50 PM

Good news guys, sorta.

Thanks guys btw. You're resposes are great.

OK. The single card at 1920x1200 kicks friggin' butt at MAX settings! Was playing today a bit and ran a steady 78 degrees full load. I didn't get any freezes. I've been working like a madman lately and don't have the means right now to swap the other card into the other slot to test that one out with this game but I've tested it before and all seems well with that one.

So...I guess it could be my fear and your guesses that it is infact the PSU. I live in a small town and can't just pick up a new PSU or even borrow one so I'll just order one. Any suggestions are more than welcome for a new PSU. I would like the option of later upgrading to quad SLI if I so desire but I don't think this case will fit such a large PSU. The PSU has to have a maximum depth of about 16cm so as to avoid hitting this dumb grill that's in the way.

Modular isn't necessary and I would prefer, if any at all, to keep the LED blue (LED isn't mandatory).

Thanks for all your help guys. Cheers.
September 18, 2006 1:19:08 AM

Hey Echo,
Take a good look at the enermax PSU's. They are reliable and a nice option they have is that the power cables are extra long for modding and they a plug at each end. That means that if you don't need all the cables, you don't plug it in to the PSU. Alot less wires to mess wit. :wink:

Go to thier website and check out their hardware. I would have bought one myself only the store I buy my stuff from did not have any in stock that day and I was just ITCHIN ta finish my rig......so I went with SeaSonic.
September 18, 2006 1:36:13 AM

Quote:
Not sure how well a single 7900gt can handle that game with full graphics maybe it can at that resolution

My 7800GT runs CoD2 at full graphics. 7900GT, especially SLI'ed should have 0 problems.

And definitely look at getting a new PSU as a potential solution to the problem. There are plenty of cheap 600W SLI ready PSU's out there (I recommend ULTRA).
September 18, 2006 3:38:52 AM

Quote:
Hey Echo,
Take a good look at the enermax PSU's. They are reliable and a nice option they have is that the power cables are extra long for modding and they a plug at each end. That means that if you don't need all the cables, you don't plug it in to the PSU. Alot less wires to mess wit. :wink:

Go to thier website and check out their hardware. I would have bought one myself only the store I buy my stuff from did not have any in stock that day and I was just ITCHIN ta finish my rig......so I went with SeaSonic.

Thanks, Paybax for your suggestion to go with Enermax. I'll check out their site.

Taskeen, what resolution do you run?
September 18, 2006 3:56:03 AM

1280x1024 on a 19in LCD.
All I'll ever need.

Now that you ask, I see you have a 24 inch.
September 18, 2006 4:00:15 AM

Yes, and I'll never go back. The realestate in Windows is awesome and games look amazing. Widescreen really helps in games like wow and RTS.
September 18, 2006 4:24:12 AM

Quote:
Yes, and I'll never go back. The realestate in Windows is awesome and games look amazing. Widescreen really helps in games like wow and RTS.

I'm sure you wouldn't. When I got this as my first LCD, it was definitely a first experience.

I plan on getting stepping up to a 20-21in widescreen, but for now I am fine. The problem is finding something relatively cheap (200-300) price range, otherwise I don't spend anymore than that on luxury items like monitors.
September 28, 2006 6:19:07 PM

xfi soundcard drivers
September 28, 2006 10:25:58 PM

8O
September 28, 2006 11:18:28 PM

Jealousy is a cruel mistress and she is beating on my skin over your rig bro. Peace
September 28, 2006 11:28:15 PM

i have an antec neo 550 he power supply running my system with a 20.5 widescreen lcd. you can get a deal sometimes on these at newegg.i have similar setup with sli and im running a bunch of other stuff too off that psu. you shouldnt have any problem with it(not sure about quad sli) cod2 is a pretty demanding game from what ive read.i finished it recently and it was one of my favorite games,ranks right up there with fear ,doom3 and far cry .
!