Server HD vs Desktop

drifter_888

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
What is the difference between a server grade HD and a Desktop HD? I am interested in compatible drives for a HP DL380 G5. Who would make the best drive and the largest? Ideally I would like to have a min of 300 GB in Raid 6 configuration. Thank you in advance for the help

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
I'm not familiar with HP computers, but...

Server HDs are better than Desktop HD in the sense that they usually are built better and are more reliable than their desktop counter parts. The performance difference between Server and Desktop HDs with the same rotation speed is minimal.

But SCSI Drives are usually considered Server/Workstation only drives and the 15k drives are smoking fast but cost a lot more per/gb than lower speed drives.

Just my $0.02

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
What is the difference between a server grade HD and a Desktop HD? I am interested in compatible drives for a HP DL380 G5. Who would make the best drive and the largest? Ideally I would like to have a min of 300 GB in Raid 6 configuration. Thank you in advance for the help

Is warranty / support agreement an issue? If not then I would think that the two internal drives (36.6 GB Ultra 320 15k rpm) should be replaceable by any ultra320 15k pair of drives.

As to the expansion chassis, my experience is that HP either hardwires the drive into the cartridge or changes the pin-out of the drives so that its a proprietary interface.

Note, I have not personally played with this unit, so all of the above could be BS.

But judging with past experience with HP....

Let's just say that we don't let our support lapse.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006

Is warranty / support agreement an issue? If not then I would think that the two internal drives (36.6 GB Ultra 320 15k rpm) should be replaceable by any ultra320 15k pair of drives.

As to the expansion chassis, my experience is that HP either hardwires the drive into the cartridge or changes the pin-out of the drives so that its a proprietary interface.

Note, I have not personally played with this unit, so all of the above could be BS.

But judging with past experience with HP....

Let's just say that we don't let our support lapse.

not sure that they could make something like the harddrives proprietary, i would suspect that they would be normal interfaces..

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
So try to take your HD out of your IPOD and use it in your digital camera....

HP made this particular platform to be a hotswap drive array. The other arrays that we have from HP have the HD's hardwired into the cages. No regular scsi interface at all.

Hence my comments that the internal drives might be replaceable... Also my remark that all of the info provided was without direct knowledge of this particular model