AM2 cooling options, water or air??

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I was looking at Kingwin AS-3000 (newegg link) to cool my CPU and video card. But after mailing the company they told me I needed a different kind of retention bracket that isnt included in the package and that just sucks.
I was considering air cooling better, the ZALMAN CNPS 9500 AM2. But idk if you guys have better suggestions. Both air or water (under $100 and natively compatible please) would do.
If I get air cooling I would also get a fan controller and a couple other 120mm fans.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Truthfully, if your budget is under $100, you'd be better off getting really good air cooling components for your CPU and GPU. For a good water cooling setup that will work with your CPU and GPU, your budget would need to be closer to $200. For a functional water cooling setup that would work with your CPU and GPU, it would be something around $150 (I am thinking of the Thermaltake Bigwater here but, I loathe to recommend it).

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Truthfully, if your budget is under $100, you'd be better off getting really good air cooling components for your CPU and GPU. For a good water cooling setup that will work with your CPU and GPU, your budget would need to be closer to $200. For a functional water cooling setup that would work with your CPU and GPU, it would be something around $150 (I am thinking of the Thermaltake Bigwater here but, I loathe to recommend it).

Yeah, thats what ive heard. Also that the good air cooling solutions will run circles around lower end cooling kits.
What good HSF would you recommend? Ill have some money to spare on a couple of 120mm fans as well.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
To be honest, I've spent the bulk of the past 5 - 6 years immersed in water cooling and TEC cooling and am not really up to speed on air cooling products. I say this because there are so many others here that are far more knowledgeable about air cooling than I. I just wouldn't want to give you any advice unless I knew, absolutely, what I was talking about.