Temperature Question

SHv2

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
I finally have my new system up and running.

My setup is:
ASUS P5W Deluxe
E6600 OC to 3.24GHz
4x 1GB Crucial PC2-6400
ATI X1900XTX

Now when I run two instances of Prime 95 and I sit with my cpu-z, PC Probe, and Core Temp windows open some odd stuff is going on. PC Probe is giving me a CPU temperature of 44C and Core Temp is giving me a reading of 56C. So these seems to be off roughly 12C, not that big a deal seems to be the same on all ASUS boards.

If we go off the assumption that what temperatures PC Probe report are roughly 12C low then when it reports a MB temperature of 40C does that really mean my MB is at 52C?

I know if I touch the northbridge heatsink it is very very hot to the touch.

My question is, could this be the reason I can't seem to clock any higher? Is there any way to cool off all that passively cooled piping on the motherboard in an easy manner?

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
cool air in hot air out my idea is this but you can figure out yours
im0009753ba.jpg

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
got a pic of your case, according to your post you seem to be wondering about why you can not oc any higher and asking if cooling would help.
myself i'm at 4ghz and when I turn the fans on speed 3 I can reach 4.1 but also this rig is water cooled. What happens if you go higher than the speed you are oced at.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
cool air in hot air out my idea is this but you can figure out yours
im0009753ba.jpg
I want to do something like that, but my computer room is upstairs, and my workshop is in the basement. How the hell do you carry that puppy? It looks heavy, but more importantly..very awkward to carry. :wink:

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Its not as bad as it looks yes its heavy but with a buddy and yourself its easy. I must say make the size to fit through doors my first I did'nt think of that and had to start all over. Its not that bad to move buddy get the wheels from shoping carts they are the best and free.
You could go with lighter wood than 2x8 and 2x4 that is all the wood I had without spending money I'm a poor dude and all the money goes to computers and the family I can't even afford hoobie any more
bottom0012lu.jpg

photo001fk6.jpg

top0014pl.jpg

twin6bi.png

sider0013ty.jpg

photo10015gn.jpg

That crappy keyboard was replaced by what you see and the mouse thank god for that

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Its not as bad as it looks yes its heavy but with a buddy and yourself its easy. I must say make the size to fit through doors my first I did'nt think of that and had to start all over. Its not that bad to move buddy get the wheels from shoping carts they are the best and free.
You could go with lighter wood than 2x8 and 2x4 that is all the wood I had without spending money I'm a poor dude and all the money goes to computers and the family I can't even afford hoobie any more
Thanks, that's what i figured. I'm in the same boat as you, financially, so i get computer parts(almost exclusively) from wife, for X-Mas,B-Day, fathers day, etc. Makes me happy, and she doesn't have to shop in stores(i order the stuff online) or worry about what to get me. :wink:

PS... Added bonus. I don't have a drawer full of stuff i won't wear, etc. :p

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006

Great pics, man! I love the 2x4s ! Everything in the computer case world is plastic and metal. Wood rules! Big wood rules! Go Gomer!

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Meh, super-conduction. Then all the wire traces will have to be made of super-conduction material @-197C as well.

I can't wait till superconducting supercollider supercomputers go mainstream. I already have a place set aside in the basement and know where I can get a big Dewar cheap for the liquid Helium. I even have a nice soundtrack .wav file ready to go to announce the boot and a cool LED sequencer to run the lights in the basement windows. Case? Whaddya mean, where's the case? The basement is the case!