Building dual core system...seeking advice

gordo282

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
Hey guys! You helped me put together a good rig that has lasted (un-updated) since 2004! Thanks!

Now I am looking to upgrade again and seeking your help. Here's the skinny:

I don't want top of the line, just a good system that is upgradeable in the future.
-MoBo with good future upgrade capability
-dual core processor
-PCI video card
-At least 2 GB ram

I am thinking to go with the earliest version of Intel Dual Core - only because the current (top of the line) Dual Core's look to be faster than AMD (and I will eventually upgrade this MoBo in a year or so). So looking for a MoBo that will support the earlier Dual core as well as be upgradeable to the Core 2 Dual...

I am going to keep my current Hard Drive (WD1200).

Onboard sound is ok - I am not sporting a good speaker system at this time.

Thoughts?

chrone

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
cpu: pentium d805 or core 2 duo e6300
mobo: asrock 775dual-vsta
pci express: depends on what you need this card
ram: you still can use your current ddr ram, or find a new suit of 2gb of ddr2 533 if you're not planning to overclock the cpu.

the motherboard is cheap enough and will last for a year or two.

chrone

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
pentium d805 is still using the old architecture: netburst. so in my opinion old pentium d with netburst technology runs slower (slower, hotter, more watt) than athlon 64 x2.

core 2 duo e6300 is using the new architecture: core. with the new technology, it runs more less 20% faster (faster, cooler, less watt) than athlon 64 x2 .

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
cpu: pentium d805 or core 2 duo e6300

Quick question - what is the difference between the E6xxx duos and the Dxxx ones? Why the different naming?
They're two different generations of processors.

Pentium D8XX - Smithfield core (90nm) based on the Netburst uArch; Intel's very first dual-core processors. As they are descended from the Prescott P4, they retain Prescott's high power consumption and heat.

Pentium D9XX - Presler core (65nm) based on the Netburst uArch; Intel shrank the Smithfield core to 65nm, the shrink reduced power consumption and heat dissipation.

Core 2 Duo E6XXX - Conroe core (65nm) based on the Core uArch; Intel's first PC desktop dual-cores based on the Core architecture. These cores mix the efficiency of the Pentium M and the speed of Netburst to create a product that now dominates the market.

If you want a dual core, the ideal choice is the Core 2 Duo. If you can't afford it or if your mainboard doesn't support the C2D, my next choice would be a low-end Presler like the 915 or 930. The D8XX's power/heat issues make it the last choice on my list. I would sooner use an X2 than a Smithfield.

gordo282

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
Thank you for taking the time to write that explanation! That helps a lot!

I was already planning on going with the E6300 but now I know why! And I guess I also know why I could go with something a bit less pricey for now...

Looks like the Pressler 930 is about the same price as the E6300...

I haven't purchsed the MoBo yet so any suggestions? Considering price $100 - $150; future upgradeability, possibility of SLI or Crossfire for future purchase...etc

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Thank you for taking the time to write that explanation! That helps a lot!

I was already planning on going with the E6300 but now I know why! And I guess I also know why I could go with something a bit less pricey for now...

Looks like the Pressler 930 is about the same price as the E6300...

I haven't purchsed the MoBo yet so any suggestions? Considering price $100 - $150; future upgradeability, possibility of SLI or Crossfire for future purchase...etc
This is very popular, and decently priced. Keep in mind that the i965x motherboards only have one PATA port, so you are going to want to get SATA drives(only a problem if you want to carry forward some PATA HD's).

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3:$149.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128012

Ooops, you want to use your WD 1200...PATA IIRC. That mean that you can only connect one optical drive, or you'll have to buy an ATA controller card. GL :)