the result of flaky CAOS functions

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 22, 2005 4:17:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.creatures (More info?)

http://twinsen.warpedgames.com/~fuzzie/too_many_grassho...

"Whoops"? Still debugging this one. :-)

--
fuzzie <fuzzie@gmail.com>
"Reality is just this little memory in the back of my mind."

"fuzzie" <fuzzie@gmail.com> wrote in message
> http://twinsen.warpedgames.com/~fuzzie/too_many_grassho...
>
> "Whoops"? Still debugging this one. :-)

Snerking shall commence in T minus three...

Any idea exactly what went wrong?

--
The Triad (N)
August 22, 2005 3:07:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.creatures (More info?)

"fuzzie" <fuzzie@gmail.com> wrote in message
> http://twinsen.warpedgames.com/~fuzzie/too_many_grassho...
>
> "Whoops"? Still debugging this one. :-)
>
> --
> fuzzie <fuzzie@gmail.com>
> "Reality is just this little memory in the back of my mind."

Oddly enough my first thought was, "Ooo, I want that many grasshoppers",
which made me smile. Then again if perhaps the script isn't exiting the
world might be roof-high with grasshoppers, and that would be too many ;o)

Don
AmberCreatures
http://www.webpetz.com
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 22, 2005 5:32:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.creatures (More info?)

fuzzie <fuzzie@gmail.com> wrote in news:43090b97$0$21334$db0fefd9
@news.zen.co.uk:

> http://twinsen.warpedgames.com/~fuzzie/too_many_grassho...
>
> "Whoops"? Still debugging this one. :-)

Heh. I love it! Not a norn in sight and a world full of grasshoppers. =`D
Who has been eating who I wonders?

Didn't the grasshoppers come with C3 or is that a COB of yours, Fuzzie?

--
x0tix: "x0tix xtrmly oogh! Eat toy!"
Malveka: "I'm convinced now that they used YOUR genome as a basis for the

Don wrote:
> Oddly enough my first thought was, "Ooo, I want that many grasshoppers",
> which made me smile. Then again if perhaps the script isn't exiting the
> world might be roof-high with grasshoppers, and that would be too many ;o)

Mm, I ended up with about 20,000 of them before my machine crashed :)  It
looked sooo cool though.

--
fuzzie <fuzzie@gmail.com>
"Reality is just this little memory in the back of my mind."
August 22, 2005 6:56:56 PM

The Triad wrote:
> Any idea exactly what went wrong?

Turns out bdonlan patched another problem, and his patch happened to
make the expression '<false> AND <true>' (ie, '1 = 2 AND 1 =1 ')
evaluate to true, which broke all sorts of things in amusing ways :)

And because the CAOS test suite passed, we were all checking other code.
Until someone thought to check if any of the other agents worked, and,
whoops, most of them didn't. I've made the test suite a little more
complete, now, to catch it if it happens again :p

--
fuzzie <fuzzie@gmail.com>
"Reality is just this little memory in the back of my mind."
August 22, 2005 6:57:42 PM

xOtix wrote:
> Didn't the grasshoppers come with C3 or is that a COB of yours, Fuzzie?

Yes, they're just the normal grasshoppers running in a buggy engine. :)

--
fuzzie <fuzzie@gmail.com>
"Reality is just this little memory in the back of my mind."
August 22, 2005 11:37:45 PM

Alex Watson wrote:
> Those processor cycles would just have been wasted anyway...

gcc needs my processor cycles!

--
fuzzie <fuzzie@gmail.com>
"Reality is just this little memory in the back of my mind."
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 24, 2005 2:56:38 AM

fuzzie wrote:
> Don wrote:
>
>> Oddly enough my first thought was, "Ooo, I want that many
>> grasshoppers", which made me smile. Then again if perhaps the script
>> isn't exiting the world might be roof-high with grasshoppers, and that
>> would be too many ;o)
>

> Mm, I ended up with about 20,000 of them before my machine crashed :)  It
> looked sooo cool though.

"And the fifth angel blew his trumpet, and I saw a star fallen from
heaven to earth, and he was given the key of the shaft of the bottomless
pit; he opened the shaft of the bottomless pit, and from the shaft rose
smoke like the smoke of a great furnace, and the sun and the air were
darkened with the smoke from the shaft."

"Then from the smoke came locusts on the earth, and they were given
power like the power of scorpions of the earth; they were told not to
harm the grass of the earth or any green growth or any tree, but only
those of mankind who have not the seal of God upon their foreheads; they
were allowed to torture them for five months, but not to kill them, and
their torture was like the torture of a scorpion, when it stings a man.
And in those days men will seek death and will not find it; they will
long to die, and death will fly from them."

"In appearance the locusts were like horses arrayed for battle; on their
heads were what looked like crowns of gold; their faces were like human
faces, their hair like women's hair, and their teeth like lions' teeth;
they had scales like iron breastplates, and the noise of their wings was
like the noise of many chariots with horses rushing into battle. They
have tails like scorpions, and stings, and their power of hurting men
for five months lies in their tails. They have as king over them the
angel of the bottomless pit; his name in Hebrew is Abaddon, and in Greek
he is called Apollyon." (Revelation 9:1-11 RSV)

Snatched that off internet. Wonder if God also had a boolean problem at
the end of time?! In ANSI C (1=1) and (1==1) makes a lot of difference!

Thomas
--
Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.games.creatures (More info?)

fuzzie <fuzzie@gmail.com> wrote in news:4309d8dd$0$4789$da0feed9
@news.zen.co.uk:

> Don wrote:
>> Oddly enough my first thought was, "Ooo, I want that many grasshoppers",
>> which made me smile. Then again if perhaps the script isn't exiting the
>> world might be roof-high with grasshoppers, and that would be too many
;o)

> Mm, I ended up with about 20,000 of them before my machine crashed :)  It
> looked sooo cool though.

Cool! I do hope you got another screenie of it all before it died on you...?

--
x0tix: "x0tix xtrmly oogh! Eat toy!"
Malveka: "I'm convinced now that they used YOUR genome as a basis for the
norns. 8^)"
..
....and still there after all these years, an historical glimpse of Creatures
nostalgia (most external links broken):
< http://www.bconnex.net/~quix0tix/agc-toc.htm >
< http://www.bconnex.net/~quix0tix/c1faq.htm >
< http://www.bconnex.net/~quix0tix/c2faq.htm >
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 24, 2005 10:33:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.creatures (More info?)

"Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote in news:430b8d23$0$11078
$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl:

> Snatched that off internet. Wonder if God also had a boolean problem at
> the end of time?! In ANSI C (1=1) and (1==1) makes a lot of difference!

Heh!

/me hates Book of Revelations. *spits*

--
x0tix: "x0tix xtrmly oogh! Eat toy!"
Malveka: "I'm convinced now that they used YOUR genome as a basis for the
norns. 8^)"
..
....and still there after all these years, an historical glimpse of Creatures
nostalgia (most external links broken):
< http://www.bconnex.net/~quix0tix/agc-toc.htm >
< http://www.bconnex.net/~quix0tix/c1faq.htm >
< http://www.bconnex.net/~quix0tix/c2faq.htm >
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 24, 2005 10:33:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.creatures (More info?)

fuzzie <fuzzie@gmail.com> wrote in news:4309d9d5$0$30311$da0feed9
@news.zen.co.uk:

> xOtix wrote:
>> Didn't the grasshoppers come with C3 or is that a COB of yours, Fuzzie?
>
> Yes, they're just the normal grasshoppers running in a buggy engine. :)

Ah. lol

--
x0tix: "x0tix xtrmly oogh! Eat toy!"
Malveka: "I'm convinced now that they used YOUR genome as a basis for the
norns. 8^)"
..
....and still there after all these years, an historical glimpse of Creatures
nostalgia (most external links broken):
< http://www.bconnex.net/~quix0tix/agc-toc.htm >
< http://www.bconnex.net/~quix0tix/c1faq.htm >
< http://www.bconnex.net/~quix0tix/c2faq.htm >
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 24, 2005 10:34:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.creatures (More info?)

Bryan Donlan <bdonlan@gmail.com> wrote in news:p c3pt2-17k.ln1
@bd.beginyourfear.com:

> fuzzie wrote:
>
>> http://twinsen.warpedgames.com/~fuzzie/too_many_grassho...
>>
>> "Whoops"? Still debugging this one. :-)
>>

> It's my fault. When (false AND true) returns true, some very strange
things
> happen...

oops~ lol

--
x0tix: "x0tix xtrmly oogh! Eat toy!"
Malveka: "I'm convinced now that they used YOUR genome as a basis for the
norns. 8^)"
..
....and still there after all these years, an historical glimpse of Creatures
nostalgia (most external links broken):
< http://www.bconnex.net/~quix0tix/agc-toc.htm >
< http://www.bconnex.net/~quix0tix/c1faq.htm >
< http://www.bconnex.net/~quix0tix/c2faq.htm >
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 24, 2005 10:35:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.creatures (More info?)

Alex Watson <alexwatson@deadspam.com> wrote in news:430a186f$0$32676
$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk:

> fuzzie wrote:
>> http://twinsen.warpedgames.com/~fuzzie/too_many_grassho...
>>
>> "Whoops"? Still debugging this one. :-)
>
> Those processor cycles would just have been wasted anyway...

cynical?

--
x0tix: "x0tix xtrmly oogh! Eat toy!"
Malveka: "I'm convinced now that they used YOUR genome as a basis for the
norns. 8^)"
..
....and still there after all these years, an historical glimpse of Creatures
nostalgia (most external links broken):
< http://www.bconnex.net/~quix0tix/agc-toc.htm >
< http://www.bconnex.net/~quix0tix/c1faq.htm >
< http://www.bconnex.net/~quix0tix/c2faq.htm >
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 25, 2005 1:30:01 AM

"Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote in message
> fuzzie wrote:
> > Don wrote:
> >
> >> Oddly enough my first thought was, "Ooo, I want that many
> >> grasshoppers", which made me smile. Then again if perhaps the script
> >> isn't exiting the world might be roof-high with grasshoppers, and that
> >> would be too many ;o)
> >

> > Mm, I ended up with about 20,000 of them before my machine crashed :)  It
> > looked sooo cool though.

<sinp Rev. reference>

> Snatched that off internet. Wonder if God also had a boolean problem at
> the end of time?! In ANSI C (1=1) and (1==1) makes a lot of difference!

HAHA *applauds gleefully* very nice.... very nice

--
Those who do not read AGC are those that perish because their life is
boring...

"How do I create a coloured Norn instead of one of those 'brownish or gold'
ones?" ...Ah the good old Days of C1!
!