Sign in with
Your question

PCI-X tv tuner?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 17, 2006 3:13:38 PM

Okay so by now you've probably figured out what this forum is about (if you haven't... well then just leave now)

Okay so my mobo has an open PCI-X 100 slot open (my sound card is in the only PCI slot) and I was wondering if anyone knew about a good tv tuner that could run at that frequency. I have a PCI-X ethernet adapter I use to hook up all the comps in my house (it's a sever for my house) and that's running at pretty high bandwidth and I was hoping I could find a card that could run at PCI-X 100 speeds so I could keep my high bandwidth to the other comps.

More about : pci tuner

September 17, 2006 11:42:13 PM

Well I do realize a tv tuner won't be able to use nearly that bandwidth but because it's sharing the bandwidth with an ethernet card that's connected to a few computers that do transfers all day I just wanted to find one that wouldn't cause the bandwidth to deteriorate or anything. I've looked at the viewcast osprey series but I'm still a little worried about the whole NIC situation. If bumping both to 66MHz won't really hurt my data transfers then I guess I'm fine with that.
Related resources
September 19, 2006 1:46:49 AM

Quote:
No tuner card will take away from your network cards bandwidth.

Isn't it true that putting a slower card in the same bus with a faster one brings down the entire bus speed? I think that is what the OP is worried about. I think PCIX might be on a separate controller from PCI though and may not suffer that fate - the motherboard maker would be best to answer the question.
September 19, 2006 2:15:13 AM

Well from what I read about PCI-X is that yes it is compatible with PCI and slower-speed PCI-X cards. The only problem is that say you put a PCI-X 100 card in and a 66MHz 64bit PCI card in is that it will lower the speed to the lowest common speed between the two which if I'm correct is close to 33MHz, but I'm not sure if that's completely true. It could be that the bandwidth is shared.

Anyways, I've decided that I'm just gonig to sell the NIC since my mobo has it built-in. I think 2 tuner cards wouldn't hurt!
September 19, 2006 2:43:25 AM

Well... it was only an idea. I'll probably just stick to one though. Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm using MythTv by the way. OS is Ubuntu. I've had too many problems with Windows in the past, only used it for program support. Anyways yeah I'll let you know how this goes. It's a ViewCast Osprey 560 (I've been saving up for a while)
September 19, 2006 2:49:41 AM

Quote:
Let me know how that dual tuner card idea works. I've heard that it can be done but never tried and don't see how it would work. Unless the PVR progame you use can support it.

FYI: Windows Media Center supports more than two tuners, I think three but I'm not sure.
September 19, 2006 3:40:31 AM

Quote:
No tuner card will take away from your network cards bandwidth.

Isn't it true that putting a slower card in the same bus with a faster one brings down the entire bus speed? I think that is what the OP is worried about. I think PCIX might be on a separate controller from PCI though and may not suffer that fate - the motherboard maker would be best to answer the question.

This is true when dealing with video cards. The 2 16x slots drop to 2 8x slot when running SLI or dual video cards. But when your dealing with the other PCI-x slots you are still getting the full 1x for each card and the 2 cards are sharing the total bandwidth that is being supplied to the 2 1x slots. Only adding another video card would hinder the overall bandwith availible to the 1x slots. That's the way i understand it anyway. If i'm wronf please let me know.

I think you might be getting your PCI-X (server version of PCI) and PCIe (PCI express) mixed up. I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about PCI-X and i don't think i've ever seen a tv tuner with this interface. Can some one link one?
!