Pocket PC 2002 - Upgrade Browser?

January 18, 2005 4:03:04 PM

I am using PPC 2002 on an iPaq 3670.

I have upgraded the ROM. System settings now say:
PS Pocket PC version 3.0.11171 (build 11178)

under Version it says:
Product RevisionLevel 1.0
ROM date: 10/31/02
ROM revision 2.10.04 ENG
OS Version 3.0

Questions:
1. Is this the latest update for PPC 2002?
2. IE is recognised as v3.0 - Is there an update - Some of my
bank/investment websites revert to a different website that doesn't allow me
to see my data.
3. Is there a version of WMP that can be downloaded for the is version of
PPC?

Thanks for any help!
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 10:20:56 AM

There's no update for the Pocket Internet Explorer. You can find some Tweak
programs (like RegKing: http://www.cewindows.net) that will change a
registry setting that describes the User-Agent string. This is sent by your
browser to the server and it identifies the platform, browser version, etc.

If you want a better browser, Access Netfront will be a next step - it
supports Javascript (more than PIE), Java aplets, and you can define the
User-Agent direclty on the browser:
http://www.handango.com/ampp/store/PlatformSearch.jsp?s...

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
http://www.geekmac.com

"George" <XXXX@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:o PGiRgY$EHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>I am using PPC 2002 on an iPaq 3670.
>
> I have upgraded the ROM. System settings now say:
> PS Pocket PC version 3.0.11171 (build 11178)
>
> under Version it says:
> Product RevisionLevel 1.0
> ROM date: 10/31/02
> ROM revision 2.10.04 ENG
> OS Version 3.0
>
> Questions:
> 1. Is this the latest update for PPC 2002?
> 2. IE is recognised as v3.0 - Is there an update - Some of my
> bank/investment websites revert to a different website that doesn't allow
> me
> to see my data.
> 3. Is there a version of WMP that can be downloaded for the is version of
> PPC?
>
> Thanks for any help!

January 19, 2005 12:57:10 PM

"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message

> If you want a better browser, Access Netfront will be a next step - it
> supports Javascript (more than PIE), Java aplets, and you can define the
> User-Agent direclty on the browser:

http://www.handango.com/ampp/store/PlatformSearch.jsp?s...

Hi,

I have a problem that my PIE (HP4150/2003 FE) won't browse high (ie non-443)
https ports. Is this a feature of PIE or is it the TCP/IP stack or maybe
something buried in my LAN connect even though it does not use a proxy?

It seems that the super-browsers use the PIE codebase so I am presuming
these would not be a solution...

--
Stuart (PPC newbie)
January 19, 2005 2:35:45 PM

Try Windows Media Player 8.0 for Pocket PC 3.0 Upgrade

Email: developer@jointsense.com.hk
Homepage: http://www.jointsense.com.hk/
GMT: +8

"George" <XXXX@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:o PGiRgY$EHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>I am using PPC 2002 on an iPaq 3670.
>
> I have upgraded the ROM. System settings now say:
> PS Pocket PC version 3.0.11171 (build 11178)
>
> under Version it says:
> Product RevisionLevel 1.0
> ROM date: 10/31/02
> ROM revision 2.10.04 ENG
> OS Version 3.0
>
> Questions:
> 1. Is this the latest update for PPC 2002?
> 2. IE is recognised as v3.0 - Is there an update - Some of my
> bank/investment websites revert to a different website that doesn't allow
> me
> to see my data.
> 3. Is there a version of WMP that can be downloaded for the is version of
> PPC?
>
> Thanks for any help!

January 19, 2005 2:35:46 PM

OK Thanks - I guess, I will have to manuaaly install the old version first.
I didn't know I had it, but presumably it is on the 2002 CD.

"Joint_Sense" <developer@jointsense.com.hk> wrote in message
news:o lg47fd$EHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Try Windows Media Player 8.0 for Pocket PC 3.0 Upgrade

> Email: developer@jointsense.com.hk
> Homepage: http://www.jointsense.com.hk/
> GMT: +8
>

> "George" <XXXX@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> news:o PGiRgY$EHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> >I am using PPC 2002 on an iPaq 3670.
> >
> > I have upgraded the ROM. System settings now say:
> > PS Pocket PC version 3.0.11171 (build 11178)
> >
> > under Version it says:
> > Product RevisionLevel 1.0
> > ROM date: 10/31/02
> > ROM revision 2.10.04 ENG
> > OS Version 3.0
> >
> > Questions:
> > 1. Is this the latest update for PPC 2002?
> > 2. IE is recognised as v3.0 - Is there an update - Some of my
> > bank/investment websites revert to a different website that doesn't
allow
> > me
> > to see my data.
> > 3. Is there a version of WMP that can be downloaded for the is version
of
> > PPC?
> >
> > Thanks for any help!

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 2:10:07 AM

"Stuart" <info@brainsys.com> wrote in message

> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> If you want a better browser, Access Netfront will be a next step - it
>> supports Javascript (more than PIE), Java aplets, and you can define the
>> User-Agent direclty on the browser:
>>
> http://www.handango.com/ampp/store/PlatformSearch.jsp?s...
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem that my PIE (HP4150/2003 FE) won't browse high (ie
> non-443)
> https ports. Is this a feature of PIE or is it the TCP/IP stack or maybe
> something buried in my LAN connect even though it does not use a proxy?
>
> It seems that the super-browsers use the PIE codebase so I am presuming
> these would not be a solution...

Do you a sample site?

Access Netfront is not based on PIE code, it's a product developed by Access
to be used in embedded devices - it was then ported to Symbian, Windows
Mobile, Palm, etc...

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
http://www.geekmac.com
January 20, 2005 2:10:08 AM

> "Stuart" <info@brainsys.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a problem that my PIE (HP4150/2003 FE) won't browse high (ie
> > non-443)
> > https ports. Is this a feature of PIE or is it the TCP/IP stack or maybe
> > something buried in my LAN connect even though it does not use a proxy?
> >
> > It seems that the super-browsers use the PIE codebase so I am presuming
> > these would not be a solution...
>
> Do you a sample site?
>
> Access Netfront is not based on PIE code, it's a product developed by
Access
> to be used in embedded devices - it was then ported to Symbian, Windows
> Mobile, Palm, etc...

Thanks for that.

Can you see the login screen at:

https://v4.brainsys.co.uk:19638/webhost/

a) with PIE?
b) with Netfront?

My PIE returns "this page cannot be found". No problem from PC browsers thru
same LAN.

--
Stuart (PPC Newbie)
Anonymous

"Stuart" <info@brainsys.com> wrote in message
[...]
> Can you see the login screen at:
>
> https://v4.brainsys.co.uk:19638/webhost/
>
> a) with PIE?
> b) with Netfront?
>
> My PIE returns "this page cannot be found". No problem from PC browsers
> thru
> same LAN.

It displayed fine with both NetFront 3.1 and PIE on my WM2003 iPAQ. You must
have something mis-configured somewhere.

The page showed an "unsupported browser" warning in PIE, stating that "you
may still login, but not all features may work". My NetFront user-agent is
set to IE6, so it didn't get that.

Tony
January 20, 2005 2:10:10 AM

"Tony A." <what@where.why.com> wrote in message
> "Stuart" <info@brainsys.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > Can you see the login screen at:
> >
> > https://v4.brainsys.co.uk:19638/webhost/
> >
> > a) with PIE?
> > b) with Netfront?
> >
> > My PIE returns "this page cannot be found". No problem from PC browsers
> > thru
> > same LAN.
> >
> It displayed fine with both NetFront 3.1 and PIE on my WM2003 iPAQ. You
must
> have something mis-configured somewhere.

Hmmm - that's what I suspected.

I'm operating via an Win2k SBS LAN. Ordinary PC clients have to bypass the
ISA proxyserver to get to the site's https:19638 port. But I configured the
4150 onto the fixed IP range I use for my Linux servers so they can access
the net using the SBS system purely as a gateway and not messing with ISA.
My 4150 PIE/Inbox/FTP/SSH clients connect to the V4 server OK - except the
high https ports.

It is trying to work out where the problem is.

> The page showed an "unsupported browser" warning in PIE, stating that "you
> may still login, but not all features may work". My NetFront user-agent is
> set to IE6, so it didn't get that.

I had wondered that not having a trusted root certificate was an issue - but
that looks unlikely.

--
Stuart (PPC Newbie)
Anonymous

"Stuart" <info@brainsys.com> wrote in message

> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
>> "Stuart" <info@brainsys.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have a problem that my PIE (HP4150/2003 FE) won't browse high (ie
>> > non-443)
>> > https ports. Is this a feature of PIE or is it the TCP/IP stack or
>> > maybe
>> > something buried in my LAN connect even though it does not use a proxy?
>> >
>> > It seems that the super-browsers use the PIE codebase so I am presuming
>> > these would not be a solution...
>>
>> Do you a sample site?
>>
>> Access Netfront is not based on PIE code, it's a product developed by
> Access
>> to be used in embedded devices - it was then ported to Symbian, Windows
>> Mobile, Palm, etc...
>
> Thanks for that.
>
> Can you see the login screen at:
>
> https://v4.brainsys.co.uk:19638/webhost/
>
> a) with PIE?
> b) with Netfront?
>
> My PIE returns "this page cannot be found". No problem from PC browsers
> thru
> same LAN.
>
> --

Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition, coming from a CDMA EV-DO connection:

PIE: Ok, with warning "Browser not supported" but all fields present.
Access Netfront: Ok, same warning, my user-agent is "Mozilla/4.08
(PDA;Windows CE/1.0.0) Netfront/3.1

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
http://www.geekmac.com