Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

the ultimate rig....

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 17, 2006 3:48:40 PM

i need some help finding the ultimate computer
i recently got a promotion at work :lol:  which will give me more money and spare time so money is not an issue :D 
so i want to get back into gaming and i want the best computer that you can get at moment.
i would like something tht is silent but i am not too fussed either way

More about : ultimate rig

September 17, 2006 4:29:18 PM

I know you said that money is not an issue... but you should still tell me your budget... I can give you an "ultimate" rig for $3000 but I can also give you an "ultimate" rig for $10000. Give me your budget and I'll give you its respective "ultimate" rig.
September 17, 2006 4:50:40 PM

hey try to add 2* 7950GX2(Quad-SLI) using nforce5 intel mobo
i think best choice is C2D X6800 with at least 4GB huge mem
Related resources
September 17, 2006 5:12:00 PM

So many people pose to be in the position to buy the 'ultimate computer' out of curiosity/boredom, but if you really do want to spend unlimited funds on a computer (which, by the way, you really, really shouldn't) then get:

X6800

2x 7950GX2

4gb DDR2 RAM

2x DVD±RW

4x 150gb WD Raptor (RAID0...heck, get 8 of them)

2x 750gb Seagate

30" Apple Cinema

Put it together on the most expensive motherboard you can find, and put it in the shiniest case possible.
September 17, 2006 5:17:20 PM

oh......Try to add HD DVD R/RW drive too
September 17, 2006 5:18:19 PM

Here check this new Falcon Northwest rig out:
http://www.maximumpc.com/2006/09/flacon_northwes.html

Its about as fast as u can get. Plus, you can customize it, so if possible try to switch out the Physx card thing for a Sound Blaster, and put in some extra storage. And if u really want to push it, throw in two 7950GX2's instead of the two 7900's.
September 17, 2006 7:13:03 PM

any thing upto $15.000
also i would like to build it up myself as its part of fun :p 
September 17, 2006 7:42:53 PM

15 grand huh? Here's what you do: go to newegg.com and buy the most expensive parts you can find.
September 17, 2006 7:43:04 PM

This has happened many times before and I always give the same answer.

CPU- Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800, 1149.99

MOBO-ASUS P5W DH DELUXE, 269.99

RAM-CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM*2, 938.00

GRAPHICS-SAPPHIRE 100150SR Radeon X1900XTX*2, 779.98

SOUND CARD-Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite, 375.00

HD1-Seagate Cheetah 147GB 15,000 RPM*3, 3300.00

HD2-Seagate Barracuda 750GB 7200 RPM*2, 799.98

OPTIACL-Plextor IDE Slot Load 16X DVD±R DVD Burner*2, 293.98

PSU-PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW, 509.99

PHYSX-BFG Tech PhysX Processing, 264.99

TV TUNER-POWERCOLOR Express x1 TV tuner, 73.99

CASE-GIGABYTE GZ-XX1CA-SNB Black, 89.99

SPEAKERS- Creative GigaWorks 700 Watts 7.1, 429.99

SCREEN-Apple 30 in. screen, 1999.00

KEYBOARD-Logitech G15, 68.99

MOUSE-Logitech G7, 71.99

COOLING
CPU-Swiftech APOGEE, 49.99

GRAPHICS-Danger Den Tyee, 249.99

CHIPSET-Danger Den MAZE4, 38.99

HARD DRIVE-Koolance HD-55-L06, 59.99

RAM-Koolance RAM-30-V06, 49.99

RADIATOR-Koolance EHX-1050BK, 224.99

PUMP-Eheim 1048, 56.99

Wich brings it to a grang total of, 12146.78

To bring it to 15000 all you'd need to do is add a few more hard drives.
I wouldn't do it now though, I would ait for dx10 cards and, if you can, quadfather or kentsfeild.
September 17, 2006 7:47:09 PM

i will go with rig except i wil get 4gbs of ram and an x1950xtx cf
thxs for all the help :D 
September 17, 2006 7:49:38 PM

I don't know, that case is a bit expensive, don't you think, try and get something cheaper. :wink:
September 17, 2006 7:53:51 PM

$15000...

I'm not sure how you got that promotion, because you seem pretty stupid judging by your budget for a C-O-M-P-U-T-E-R.
September 17, 2006 7:54:29 PM

15000, thats a hell of a promotion

you could spend around 1500 and have a real good computer.
or around 3000 and have a real real good computer.

and save the rest for vacation or a hooker. lol
September 17, 2006 7:54:57 PM

when you've got money to burn...
September 17, 2006 8:04:02 PM

Your welcome for the help.
And there is already 4 gigs of ram, there is the little *2 after it.
September 17, 2006 8:04:40 PM

Quote:
when you've got money to burn...

Then save it/invest it so that when the company goes under or your boss turns around and fires you then you're not screwed. Failing that isn't there any charity that you support, PC component companies DO NOT count!
September 17, 2006 8:48:33 PM

Thats a nice list but I think that you forgot to add in the controller card for the cheetas. Also the fujitsu drives are faster than cheetas but they are harder to find.

EDIT: you might also want to consider looking at some of CM stacker cases, IMO they look really nice, or maybe some fo the offerening from Lian-li
September 17, 2006 9:23:44 PM

Would love to see a picture of this system when you are finished...also 3dMark 06 #'s would be nice.
September 18, 2006 12:18:43 AM

I knew someone would get a good laugh out of that, but yes I got it 3 or 4 years ago and the only upgrade it has is a new graphics card.
I would like to point out that my family dosn't have the money to get a better one. It has enogh power to get me through life though.
September 18, 2006 1:31:56 AM

i dont know why people even get nvidia cards. With those you can't even enable all of the eyecandy stuff.

IF I WERE YOU, id wait till vista. Cause then they will have DX10 cards out, and the amd 4x4 will be out. but its up to you.

If you need a comp know, go core 2 x6800, X1950XTX Crossfire, 4 gigs of corsair DOMINATOR memory, a 300 dollar mobo, Creative X-fi pro, physics card, etc.

OR what you could do is spend 7,500 on a kick a$$ rig now, and again a year or 2 from know. Cause, it really isn't possible to spend 15000 on a comp.
also you could get the best laptop you can find with ur ultamite rig.
September 18, 2006 2:35:39 AM

Quote:
i dont know why people even get nvidia cards. With those you can't even enable all of the eyecandy stuff.

IF I WERE YOU, id wait till vista. Cause then they will have DX10 cards out, and the amd 4x4 will be out. but its up to you.

If you need a comp know, go core 2 x6800, X1950XTX Crossfire, 4 gigs of corsair DOMINATOR memory, a 300 dollar mobo, Creative X-fi pro, physics card, etc.

OR what you could do is spend 7,500 on a kick a$$ rig now, and again a year or 2 from know. Cause, it really isn't possible to spend 15000 on a comp.
also you could get the best laptop you can find with ur ultamite rig.
Wanna bet you can't spend 15,000? give me the money and I'll show you the receipts. :p  Go to falcon-nw.com and choose the MACH IV and customize to the best and we'll talk again.
September 18, 2006 1:29:08 PM

Lol. Even if you select the most expensive component form each list, as way overpriced as it is, it's still not over $15000 unless you get a second monitor. :lol: 

Ok, I have way to much free time
September 18, 2006 2:23:39 PM

ahem, it's not overpriced parts. The reason it shows mark up is because a single person builds your computer... and you get the best service in the industry. They just hide the build costs in the prices.
September 18, 2006 2:33:45 PM

good luck playing games on that quadro.
September 18, 2006 5:42:04 PM

I know, it really sucks not having an agp slot.
Dam you hp!
September 18, 2006 5:44:53 PM

Ah, suppose it make sense. Those custom painted cases are soooo nice. Yet even if I had the money I wouldn't spend it on them.
September 18, 2006 5:45:59 PM

I didn't get a custom painted case.
September 18, 2006 5:50:48 PM

Oh, I hadn't actually noticed you have one. What made you choose to go with them? I didn't actually read anything on their site.
September 18, 2006 5:51:56 PM

Quality and service.
September 18, 2006 5:52:46 PM

Quote:
Ah, suppose it make sense. Those custom painted cases are soooo nice. Yet even if I had the money I wouldn't spend it on them.


Custom painted cases and a Falcon Northwest badge don't make it perform any faster than the system you built yourself with the same parts.

The big extra charge isn't really worth it for the paint job and the fact that you don't have to (I would say rather 'don't get to') build it yourself.
September 18, 2006 5:55:39 PM

what about the fact they overclock it for you to a nice stable setting and ship it to you ready to play? or how about the renown service they provide? not everyone wants to build a computer. Falcon provides some of the best service for those people. it's not all about a fancy case and a big price tag.
September 18, 2006 6:03:41 PM

If I had the money but not the time then I would get it built by Falcon. Otherwise I would like to experiment with the overclocking myself but then that's just a personal opinion and their service, I would imagine, would be excellent.
September 18, 2006 6:08:48 PM

I'll leave the topic with one last saying taken from a review on a Mach V:

"Some people enjoy buying a sports coupe and modding it until performance can come close to the most exotic cars on the market. Others prefer to just go out and buy a factory built Ferrari"
September 18, 2006 6:33:54 PM

Quote:
"Some people enjoy buying a sports coupe and modding it until performance can come close to the most exotic cars on the market. Others prefer to just go out and buy a factory built Ferrari"


Yes but in this case rather than fitting a high performance turbocharger or having your engine rebuilt, you're spending a couple of hours slotting some shapes together and putting some discs in.

But hey, it's your money to waste.

FNW market at enthusiasts...and they're just the people who prefer to 'do it themselves'
September 18, 2006 8:05:34 PM

OK, with 15000$ dollars?:

Right now:

-Core2Duo X6800. (1000$)

-2*2GB DDR2-800 with 4-4-4-12 at least for 4GB total (1000$)

-WXP Pro 64-bit Edition (250$)

-NVidia based mobo with nForce590 chipset with SLI (250$)

-2*GeForce 7950GTX for 4VPU total (1400$)

-PSU of 700+ Watts from either Antec, Enermax or very well known PSU maker (200$)

-Plextor DVD+/- RW (150$)

-2*WD Raptor 150GB-10000rpm HDD in Raid array. (300GB for Windows install and games) (600$)

-2*750GB Seagate-7200rpm HDD, (another 1.5TB of storage for video, picture, music and even games) (700$)

-X-FI Xtreme crd with 64MB on-board memory. (300$)

-Any HDTV TV tuner from either ATI or competitor (200$).

These price are approximate from my memory, but it should be not too far.

Also, don,t forget a 21+ inches 16:9 display at 1920*1200 resolution

Next years, say february a good start-up will be based around:

Intel Quad-core Extreme CPU (unless AMD has quad-core by then, then wait and see who's better)

New ATI R600 VPU that'll kick ass and keep you warm winter day :wink:

HD-DVD burner

Windows Vista Ultimate Edition (400$ but all options are there)

I would suggest you go check AlienWare and Falcon site. They have exquisite computer built exactly the way you like.

Lucky guy, enjoy!!!!!
September 18, 2006 9:01:49 PM

Quote:
I'll leave the topic with one last saying taken from a review on a Mach V:

"Some people enjoy buying a sports coupe and modding it until performance can come close to the most exotic cars on the market. Others prefer to just go out and buy a factory built Ferrari"


That quote doesn't work very well as an anology to building a computer. Because what most people here do is actually build a Ferrari that will perform every bit as good as the factory one. We don't take old HP's and Compaq's and upgrade them till they are almost as good as what you will spend on a Falcon Computer.

Once you get into an "ultimate gaming" computer anything prebuilt for you will cost alot more than what you can build yourself. Spend the money you save on building your own on actually buying windows in case you don't gave the means to get it thru less practical means.

Top of the line parts have all already been pointed out to you. I will just recommend a high end Lian Li case or the new Cooler Master CM Stacker. Even better yet that completely silent Zalman case. http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/01/15/noiseless_comput...

Also as someone else said at least wait for DX10 cards before putting it all together. When UT2007, Crysis, Halo 2 and all the other DX10 games are released next year you will wish you hadn't just spent $800 on video cards that you already need/want to replace.
September 18, 2006 9:40:05 PM

As far as the U3 engine site claims... it is a DX9 engine.

that quote came from a review... it's not my quote. It pertains to new cars and the argument that you can buy a Supra (cough) and get the performance of a ferrari out of it (cough)... atleast that's what that idiot Paul Walker said in Fast and the Furious. Which is rubbish and besides the point.
September 18, 2006 9:58:46 PM

Quote:
As far as the U3 engine site claims... it is a DX9 engine.

that quote came from a review... it's not my quote. It pertains to new cars and the argument that you can buy a Supra (cough) and get the performance of a ferrari out of it (cough)... atleast that's what that idiot Paul Walker said in Fast and the Furious. Which is rubbish and besides the point.


Even if UT is a DX9 game, though I thought it was to be 10, there will be several other games out in the next year that will be DX10 and have him wanting a new card already.

I understand it's not your quote, but you posted it implying you agrewe with it. I understand what the quote is saying and it is right as far as cars go, but doesn't pertain to pc's at all. I also want to point out that Fast and the Furious is all about drag racing, in which case you can get a Supra to come close to what a stock Ferrari can do. When you look at performance overall, that is just a rediculous notion.
September 18, 2006 10:33:10 PM

Quote:
OK, with 15000$ dollars?:

Right now:

-Core2Duo X6800. (1000$)

-2*2GB DDR2-800 with 4-4-4-12 at least for 4GB total (1000$)

-WXP Pro 64-bit Edition (250$)

-NVidia based mobo with nForce590 chipset with SLI (250$)

-2*GeForce 7950GTX for 4VPU total (1400$)

-PSU of 700+ Watts from either Antec, Enermax or very well known PSU maker (200$)

-Plextor DVD+/- RW (150$)

-2*WD Raptor 150GB-10000rpm HDD in Raid array. (300GB for Windows install and games) (600$)

-2*750GB Seagate-7200rpm HDD, (another 1.5TB of storage for video, picture, music and even games) (700$)

-X-FI Xtreme crd with 64MB on-board memory. (300$)

-Any HDTV TV tuner from either ATI or competitor (200$).

These price are approximate from my memory, but it should be not too far.

Also, don,t forget a 21+ inches 16:9 display at 1920*1200 resolution

Next years, say february a good start-up will be based around:

Intel Quad-core Extreme CPU (unless AMD has quad-core by then, then wait and see who's better)

New ATI R600 VPU that'll kick ass and keep you warm winter day :wink:

HD-DVD burner

Windows Vista Ultimate Edition (400$ but all options are there).

Lucky guy, enjoy!!!!!

don't pay $400 for vista get a oem Edition and paying $250 for xp now is just as bad.

ps AMD 4x4 will be better then Intel Quad-core
September 18, 2006 11:19:28 PM

That better be a gold plated case, because it is not even close to being worth just over $13,000 otherwise.
September 18, 2006 11:44:06 PM

I looked at vodoo pc and parts that cost $12000 on newegg cost $23000 on vodoo. I do not think that case is worth $11000.
September 19, 2006 1:40:23 AM

Quote:
So many people pose to be in the position to buy the 'ultimate computer' out of curiosity/boredom, but if you really do want to spend unlimited funds on a computer (which, by the way, you really, really shouldn't) then get:

X6800

2x 7950GX2

4gb DDR2 RAM

2x DVD±RW

4x 150gb WD Raptor (RAID0...heck, get 8 of them)

2x 750gb Seagate

30" Apple Cinema

Put it together on the most expensive motherboard you can find, and put it in the shiniest case possible.

if you want 8 disks in a raid setup you will want a hardware hardraid card with raid 5 maby even raid 6
!