Sign in with
Your question

the ultimate homebuilt rig nightmare!

Last response: in Systems
September 17, 2006 4:47:10 PM

Update
WARNING THIS THREAD IS A WASTE OF TIME! UNFORTUNATELY THERE IS NO HELP HERE!

I really wish there was something of value here:( 
Just a heads up!

----------------
Original Message!
----------------

Well lets see... I got a CoolerMaster Stacker, modified the case... Ultra v2 PowerSupply and all custom wiring... spent money on 2x250 SATA HD, I have 1 SATA DVD-ROM from Liteon, that I bought from Newegg, and isnt even mentioned on Liteons website... I have gotten 2 of these, each time a RMA, and each time I got a credit back...

I have 2 DVD Burners, Plextors 716 and a NEC. Both IDE

A asus P5b with a x6800, and MSI x1900xtx, Soundblaster X-Fi with front panel and Remote.

2 Operating Systems installed (Windows XP 64 and Windows XP)

Corsair 8500cs memory

Customized Watercooling system, with full cpu and VGA cooling. Flowmeter that reports speed as if a CPU fan is plugged in, and Temp Monitor mounted to front between 2 Switches... One that lights turns on 4x 6" Red lights behind the grills... and the other that controls the 2 x 12" and 2 x 6" Blacklights... Hours of cable management, and custom work, spending huge amounts of time on the smallest details (Like using all the same color tie wraps, only using Black Connectors, Shrinkwrapping every power wire in blue UV reactive Shrinkwrap.) Shrinkwrapping or Buying SATA, IDE, and Other Data Cables in Yellow Green Purple UV reactive colors.

2 Custom Drivebays (1 Came with the stacker + 1 I bought) they have rubber mounts to reduce noise)

1 Long fan, that covers the whole motherboard http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g/c147/s299/list/p1/b26...
--------------------

First My Motherboard went bad... I returned it and got a new one back within a week... Then I go and plug in the VideoCard, and get no post (or a post with no signal to video) 1 beep followed by 3 short! Ohh no... Video cards F$#@ed...

Now I got to RMA the VideoCard...

The construction time alone has taken weeks of time... While the problems have taken even more weeks..

I must have the worst luck with this build...

Onlything left to return is the memory:( 

Mike
September 17, 2006 4:50:30 PM

Hmm :/  I've had a nightmare of a time just ordering the components so I hope its not going to be same as you when I actually get them. Knowing my luck though.
September 17, 2006 5:35:26 PM

With all that highend equiptment, why did you get an Ultra PSU? THere are quite a few more reputable models with better reputations for stability and reliability out there.
Related resources
September 17, 2006 9:36:01 PM

PSU = Power supply Unit... ahhh...

The Ultra was recommended... I didnt make the decision... though I have always wondered what the better modular solutions would have been. It was rather inexpensive, and it is rated at 550w...

What more can you want?

The power is stable...

One of my first problems was when I started running my PC, I would do the ATI-Tool Artifact Test... well everytime it started I heard this Beeping...

Couldnt figure it out... I thought why does it beep when I run 3-D applications... very weird... Looked all over the web for the continous Beeping error, and couldnt find anything... busted my but...

Finally one day I started running it... and I looked behind my machine and my UPS was blinking orange... Turns out when the VC kicked in, the UPS would be overloaded:( 

BTW, I was thinking about going peltier... Right now its kinda a bad idea cause I am having problems overclocking the p5b (basic)... and I dont know if this board will be reliable... What do you do for A) overheat protection (in case of a water supply failure). and B) What kit did you use, and what is your opinion of it? Was it hard to get going, and is it reliable solution for long term use? I know about external powersources, and double loop cooling systems... so I am a bit informend... Do you have to heat the back of the MoBo to prevent it from frosting?

Thanks
Mike
September 17, 2006 9:47:28 PM

PSU - power supply unit = power supply. What the heck is an Ultra v2 anyway? An Ultra X2-Connect 550w? Also what is Corsair 8500cs? Did you mean PC2-8500 C5?
I would also check the PS before RMAing your video card.
September 17, 2006 9:48:09 PM

Power Supply Unit - you said you used an Ultra v2 (although, I assume you meant an Ultra X2)
September 17, 2006 9:51:44 PM

yep corrections are right... figured out PSU before your response... and was editing my post, but you beated me to it:) 
September 17, 2006 10:16:30 PM

It is just that with all those highend components, you chose a PSU with a questionable reputation. I am nto saying that you did that on purpose but, all those good parts deserved a much better PSU.
September 18, 2006 12:26:14 AM

They were the first module power supply... It comes with a warrenty... and it does meet the power requirements I need... and then some... Sure some of the other PSU's are probably better... and when this goes I will look into them... but I

A) refuse to have a non-module powersupply
B) refuse to have a bunch of wires sticking out everywhere...

I like the ultra, it is nice... Its a bit noisy compaired to everything else in my system (water cooled -- Silent). And the connector wires take a bit of jiggles to get them to line up...

Anyways... I didnt do the research I should have... and at $80 how can you complain...

Plus, It looks so Damn COOL!

Mike
September 18, 2006 12:54:46 AM

heh..ok, so it has bling.

But, there are some very good modular PSUs out besides the ultra series. I just figured that if you had so much invested in highend components that you should give equal credence to the PSU. I mean, usually, the only time you know you should've gotten a better PSU is when it is too late - and you'll be lucky if it doesn't take any other parts with it when it does go.
September 18, 2006 1:51:50 AM

Yeah, but your running peltier, Im running watercooled...

Low voltage shuts things down... rarely does it damage things... well other then data... but who needs that...

UPS's are made to protect systems from lost or corrupted data due to drops in current. The thing with bad/going bad powersupplies, is that they start making everything ELSE act funky... Very hard to diagnose... But I got a Masters RIT graduate in Electrical Engineer and a 35 year senior ranking Xerox employee, for a Father...

Then again, I am usually the one that insists its the power supply, and he says... nah, couldnt be that... then I go buy one... and problem solved...

Guess my 4 years in MIS beats out his 6 in EE sometimes! Plus hes old, and slow... hehe (I hope he doesnt read this)

Mike

PS I always wondered if the testing for these computer parts includes yanking out the different cables while they are on...

I know they make machines specially designed to DROP things... They can cost thousands of dollars...
September 18, 2006 1:55:06 AM

Quote:
They were the first module power supply... It comes with a warrenty... and it does meet the power requirements I need... and then some... Sure some of the other PSU's are probably better... and when this goes I will look into them... but I

A) refuse to have a non-module powersupply
B) refuse to have a bunch of wires sticking out everywhere...

I like the ultra, it is nice... Its a bit noisy compaired to everything else in my system (water cooled -- Silent). And the connector wires take a bit of jiggles to get them to line up...

Anyways... I didnt do the research I should have... and at $80 how can you complain...

Plus, It looks so Damn COOL!

Mike

Having a cool looking PSU doesn't do sh!t when it's fried and taken your CPU, mobo, HDD, and video card to hell with it. You spend $1k on a CPU, and then you cheap out on the power supply. Maybe you like to live dangerously?

FTW, you can get an Antec TruePower 550 watt for about $95 on newegg. Antec is an infinately better brand than Ultra.
September 18, 2006 2:43:28 AM

About the Antec PSU's of late...
I have heard about a lot of failures and have seen 2 of the 10 or so that I have installed in PC's, fail.

There are a few threads and posts about it in this forum (I believe) and other forums.
September 18, 2006 2:47:15 AM

First things first- get system stable with one OS. Get rid of 64, drivers suck for it right now, and get the core components(mb, core, mem,hd, os) stable.

THEN start playing around.

PSU might be a problem, but my new e6600, p5b deluxe wifi, x1900xtx, 2 gig corsair xms, and 2 HDs, with 3 optical drives is pulling a hair over 200 watts at load with FEAR going.
September 18, 2006 3:02:47 AM

You've no idea how much a PSU can affect other components beyond just data integrity. The technology is such that there are voltage regulations, power factor corrections and the like - the technology within PSUs can account for irregularities, surges and spikes that can affect even the CPU. As sensitive as some computer parts are, even slight variances in power can affect their longevity.

Of course, the only way to know this for certain is when it is too late.

Why play Russian Roulette with such premium components? Everything everyone is saying here thus far isn't from ego or pride but from experience.

It would be prudent for you to, at the very least, consider what everyone is trying to help you understand.
September 18, 2006 3:23:09 AM

Quote:
Then again, I am usually the one that insists its the power supply, and he says... nah, couldnt be that... then I go buy one... and problem solved...

So obviously you have experience with power supplies dieing. Learn form that and get a solid unit for this rig! Phreejack is spot on. I've seen the bad things that can happen when power supplies die.
September 18, 2006 3:39:22 AM

I understand what you are saying... But the Ultra isnt a bad powersupply by no means... I have had problems with Antec... and it just seems to be a issue with all power supplies.

Look it UL approved... its stable power... Im NOT running two video cards... and I got a low powerconsumption cpu...

All of the problems I have seen with all of the power supplies have been when the power is near that of the system requirements. This is not the case...

The 550w power is much more then I need. I have NEVER lost a component due to the loss of a power supply, and I have been in this game for a LONG time... Spikes happen when the power spikes... Drops happen when the power drops... BUY A UPS!

I respect your opinion on the Power Supply. I was looking at allot of them, but the problem comes down to a price/performance issue. This isnt Maximum PC... Where all items are rated based on performance with no consideration of the price...

Thoose 1000w Power Supplies ARE nice... but who can afford them...

My Father is a Electrical Engineer, he has built these things... and I asked him... there is no account for a PSU to be the reason behind a SPIKE in power...
September 18, 2006 3:58:41 AM

Quote:
It is just that with all those highend components, you chose a PSU with a questionable reputation. I am nto saying that you did that on purpose but, all those good parts deserved a much better PSU.

Could you provide a link to reviews that lead you to conclude that the Ultra PSU's have a "questionable reputation"? Is that your personal opinion, or is it based on some factual data? The reason I ask is that I have 3 Ultra PSU's, with the oldest having been in almost constant service for over 18 mos, and I haven't had a single problem.
September 18, 2006 4:02:54 AM

Quote:

So obviously you have experience with power supplies dieing. Learn form that and get a solid unit for this rig! Phreejack is spot on. I've seen the bad things that can happen when power supplies die.

Yep, Been using Antecs for as long as I can count... They die... Under a heavy load the Lifespan for Powersupplies drops... The Higher the load, the lower the lifespan... Bah... the never ending quest...

Powersupplies dont make power... they dont drop power... They change power from AC->DC and/or adjust Volts, Watts, Ohms...

Google the ultra X2 Review.

Enough Said

Anyways, I aint tossing the powersupply cause Its not the issue... The video card doesnt even allow a POST!

The MOBO was the problem with reliability... It COULD have been the video card... but I didnt have a replacement PCI-Express card to test... And I never thought about the PCI cards

Anyways... Everything is working better and better... I just run a very extreme PC... I have problems with my ATA-DVD's which is related to the JMicron SCSI->ATA device.. I got to solve thoose issues.

Its just not an easy build... I would like it to be... There are no real solutions... If I had swappable parts I would be able to fix the problems real quick... but I dont... so I must go on...

Good Luck
Mike
September 18, 2006 4:08:21 AM

Quote:

Could you provide a link to reviews that lead you to conclude that the Ultra PSU's have a "questionable reputation"? Is that your personal opinion, or is it based on some factual data? The reason I ask is that I have 3 Ultra PSU's, with the oldest having been in almost constant service for over 18 mos, and I haven't had a single problem.

Yeah... This is one of thoose times... I got to pull out the thread...

Anyways, this guy provided links to "News" saying Asus and Gigabyte Merged, and that Intel Dropped BTX...

He provided references... but they were off site... I checked and found that Everything he said was missinformation. Yet he beleived it cause he read it on a website...

Mike
September 18, 2006 4:57:26 AM

My $0.02. If you are building a high end system, it is important to choose a stable and reliable PSU, cos if it blows, it can really fry the rest of your components and give you nightmares!

One real life example, a few years ago my friend also got a homebuilt rig. After setting up all the hardware, he turned on the power switch and white smoke came out of his casing! 8O

He immediately switched it off and brought the whole build back to the vendor whom he had bought the components. Besides the Kingston Ram, the CPU, mobo, vidcard and CD burner were all fried. Thankfully the vendor agreed to replace the fried components, since we managed to prove that the PSU was faulty and the warranty was still valid.

Previous experiences have shown me that troubleshooting can be a real pain. I have not built a watercooled system before, so not able to tell whether if any problems you have encountered could be due to that.

Anyway, since you have diagnosed that the power supply is not an issue, I hope that you will get your rig up and running and end your nightmare soon.
September 18, 2006 7:44:06 AM

For those worried about the PS in this specific case, the X2-Connect seems to be a decent PS and constructed of suitably beefy components. It's not a high-end PS, but should be fine for this system. To the OP: Ultra, as a brand, has a tendency to make flashy looking stuff and then (IMHO) substantially overprice it. To move the many items that don't sell at list price, they then offer 2-for-1 specials or similar deep discounts that seem to much more closely reflect the real-world value of the item. My personal opinion (speaking as an X-2 Connect owner) is that the Ultra X-2 Connect is a decent $60 PS, but way overpriced at its list price of $120. The Ultra V (for Value) series of PSs is of substantially lower quality than the X-2 Connect, and helps perpetuate an association of "low quality" with the Ultra brand.
September 18, 2006 11:54:01 AM

Quote:
Yep, Been using Antecs for as long as I can count... They die... Under a heavy load the Lifespan for Powersupplies drops... The Higher the load, the lower the lifespan... Bah... the never ending quest...

You can lead a horse to water...
September 18, 2006 2:51:45 PM

Quote:
I got a Masters RIT graduate in Electrical Engineer and a 35 year senior ranking Xerox employee, for a Father...

Quote:
My Father is a Electrical Engineer

lol, what relevance does that have to your problem? If he's such a highly skilled God, then why post here? Don't whine at the posters that are trying to offer advice. The PSU might be the problem, don't cry foul that PSUs never fail. Just cause you have a UPS, doesn't mean your protected from a dodgy PSU. If that was the case, I'd buy a QTec & save myself some money :p 
September 18, 2006 3:00:37 PM

MoBo Replacement is 100% now...

---- Mobo and Video Card -----
VideoCard was working Now it wasnt... I have a fear that when I had no MoBo, the card was still in the case... It was impossible for me to mount and very difficult for me to remove, due to the fact that I had a DangerDen Video WaterBlock on it. So I left it hanging in the machine... I beleive this was the cause and result of my failure... I must concede that this was my mistake... Now, The MoBo may have not been the fault, and that the VC was the problem peace, but I didnt have a replacement part, and never thought to use my 1994 PCI ATI Mach64 Card.

----- Duel Opperating Systems -----

The Duel Opperating system's are not the problem... I can assure anyone of that. If it fails under both systems then their is a problem... It would be VERY rare that a PSU would cause damage to the system...

Windows XP 64 supports all of my devices and has drivers for everything. I installed Windows XP 32 as a result of my problems and for development reasons... Both Windows are on their own drives, and are legal development versions, registered and updated.

----- PSU ------
Any reports of PSU's ruining parts are probably false/misleading reports. I havent seen any reliable sources and consistant reports of damage resulting from the Ultra X2.

PSU's CAN ruin parts if you switch the plug in the back from 110 to 220, if a foreign metal (or conductive) object falls in, or in the rare case there is a MAJOR flaw in the design of the product... None of these situations are present in my current system.

Over voltage is a usually the result of a power spike in the line. The capacitors in the powersupply can protect the system from this, while most surge protectors are simply not sensitive to this. UPS's are the BEST way to protect from this, and are highly recommended for all systems.

Drops in Power consistantly occur in americas power supply. If drops in power where to damage components then everytime you shut off your machine by A) pulling the plug, B) Loss of Power Service or C) you switch off the power from the back of the machine, would result in damage to the machine.

Most quality component manufacturers extensively test for such results. They test their products from resistances to damage in a huge range of circumstances... For PCI/AGP/PCI-Express they test for sudden removal of the device while power is on... They test for drops and Spikes/drops in power. They test for physical drops... They test for every concevable misuse, and they try to meet the highest standards that are also cost efficent. Remember, these companies have to pay for replacement, support and RMA's... This is expensive!

---- CD-ROM RW's ----
The failure of CD-Roms on my machine are a result of the p965 chipset, which doesnt have IDE capabilities. Asus uses a JMicron ATA and SATA Raid controller that registers as a SCSI device, but provides a single channel of PATA. Unfortunately these devices are really bad at handling Optical Drives. I have another few add-on ATA devices that operate in the same way... NONE of them will handle a single optical device...

The JMicron has had Lots of documented cases of failure on optical devices. I am going to be testing a combination of three different optical drives, and seeing if their is a drive conflict, but I suspect that this is not a problem with the drives but with the controller.

Now Optical Drives are horrible. In my old machine I had to replace the Plextor 3 times before having a reliable version... The Lite-On has been replaced twice... and the NEC is brand new... I have problems with the Lite-On's reliability... It reports "Undervoltage Errors" on allot of discs. This is not a power supply error message but is reported by lite-on as a media related issue. The ammount of DVD-R's I use, and the failure rate I had became a major reason for me to buy a new device.

Unfortunately, I will have to deal with allot of these issues for awhile... I am going to be looking at buying a Good ATA controller that is reliable on Optical drives, but this wont be a easy search. I also have a test machine for the optical devices to test each one for failure. I get enough Video work that testing these devices dont require me to make Duplicate DVD's...

---- Memory ----
Memory may be the result of my problems... Corsair 8000c5 is 2.2v when run at 1066. Corsair reported support for the Asus P5B Basic. However the current 509 bios does not support Voltages over 2.1:( 

I often underclock this memory to ensure that their is no issue... I have found it to run reliable when I set it to 5-5-5-15 and at 1066, without any OCing on the board.

Again the decision to buy the Asus Mobo was from the reports here on Tomshardware raving about Asus... Well Asus dropped the ball, and I am very unhappy.

First Asus Support is the worst I have ever delt with.

Second Asus develops a different bios for each of their motherboards, while other companies work by developing a single design, then adding features to the higher end boards. This allows for a uniformity to the Bios, eliminating multiple development paths, reducing cost, and increasing reliability. When you develop 3 different bios's and 3 different boards then each bios and board must use different code. As a Programmer, I strive hard to provide re-usable code. This reduces defects by allowing problems that turn up to be resolved in one place.

My Old Gigabyte is the basic version of that motherboard. It runs the SAME bios as the Pro versions, and if you look at the board, it is the same board as the pro. I know this because there are spots on the board for parts and components that are empty. Every board I have owned upto this point has had this same concept incommon.

Now why did I buy the Basic, and not the Deluxe? Cause I really didnt want to spend $60 for another non-crossfire, non-SLI board with 2 PCI expresses. I also run watercooling, and the design of the p5b Deluxe heatsink is not designed for anything but aircooled CPU's. If I knew what I know now, I would have never bought an Asus. If Asus was the only company on the earth, and if I could go back in time, I would have bought the Deluxe. Eventually, and I expect very soon, the P5B bios will become much better. They upgraded the last bios in 8 days... So I know they are working hard at it...

------ Conclusion ------
I dont ever recommend people building their own machine unless they know what they are doing. Ive been building/Modifing machines since the 286 first came out. I am not ignorant to these issues, but it is HARD to start from scratch and build a machine up. The problem exists when everything you owned changes, and you have to buy all new components. If everything works well then thats great. But if something goes wrong you got at least 5 parts (HD, CPU, VIDEO CARD, MOBO and MEMORY) that could be the result of your failures... Finding what part is causing the problem is the tricky part, and unless you own multiple machines and/or test parts, it is hard to eliminate potential parts.

I also NEVER recommend ANY company to build their own machines... I recommend 3-5 year leases on machines from Dell, Compaq, Etc. I recommend this for allmost all companies, even companies whos primary business is computers. I worked at a company that built POS (point of Sale) machines for companies. They would build and service each machine, then run their custom software. These systems where specifically designed to run this software, and often times would be built for DOS! Yet when it came time for a developer to buy a machine, we would call DELL! Its simply too expensive to build and support machines when individual requirements need to be met.

I built this machine cause I dont buy Dells for myself. I like the challenge, and the ability to learn... Its frusterating when you are stuck with running your $3K machine with a 12 year old 2MB of memory videocard that cant even support the 1280x1024 resolution of my LCD...

But hey... I have and will continue to learn... and thats my favorite part!

So I appreciate all your help... I understand your concerns... and I assume you can relate to my frustration. I dont regret Spending a ton more money on my machine for what other people regard as "quality" parts.

Why? I went to a Car Show this weekend and their was a beutiful 5.0 Mustang that needed a bit of work... It would be a perfect project for myself... The cost of this car was $3,000... My computer costs more then allot of used cars... hmmm makes you think...

Thanks
Mike
September 18, 2006 3:08:18 PM

Quote:
lol, what relevance does that have to your problem? If he's such a highly skilled God, then why post here? Don't whine at the posters that are trying to offer advice. The PSU might be the problem, don't cry foul that PSUs never fail. Just cause you have a UPS, doesn't mean your protected from a dodgy PSU. If that was the case, I'd buy a QTec & save myself some money :p 

I wish my dad was a god... but hes not:( 

I do respect his opinions when it comes to powersupplies. I dont ask expect him to have the answers for the other issues I face, but in that one area I am one hundred % more likely to respect his opinion above the people here... But just to make sure I will take it home, and have him bring over a very advanced scope from Xerox, to test this power in a VERY extreme manor... I think he can measure the power (v, w, and ohms) millions of times a second, and then record it and download it to a laptop for a very detailed analysis. I also respect Maximum PC and the hundreds of websites that I have gone to that have reviewed this PSU as beign an Excellent product. In fact, this is the FIRST and ONLY place I have found that has such a bad attitude to the product.

Ohhh, the people who recommended the product was the guys from frozenpc... you know, the place that you probably bought all of your specialty parts from... and that will make custom PC's from the ground up based on your needs? Hmmm.... I happen to live 5 minutes away from them... I live in penfield which circles fairport, and has the same mailing address.

I have gotten everything I can out of this thread... Sorry, but it does no good to just rip apart peoples products, without offering solutions to test and or resolve issues...

A good answer would have been... "Do you have another PSU laying around that you could try?" or "How about swapping your optical drives with the extra ones you have?" or "Why did you replace your Mobo, and what was the result of this replacement?" or "Why do you think your video card is the problem? Did you try X to test it out?"

Solutions and answers are appreciated... Not critizims and proposals to go out and spend hundreds of more dollars on products when the claims made about certain parts are not based on fact...

Provide me with a SINGLE reliable resource that points out that the failure of any PSU has caused damage to a part. Then find out why it had that failure... Then find out if the design on that powersupply is simular to that of the ultra X2...

I expect you to find claims of failures and damage on forums... I also expect you to find "articles" that make such claims... But I dont expect you to find a single resource that meets the above criteria.
September 18, 2006 4:21:16 PM

Quote:
First My Motherboard went bad... I returned it
Now I got to RMA the VideoCard...
I must have the worst luck with this build...

Huh? And you don't even have it plugged into the wall - into good solid 120v 15A AC?
Friend, you've got your liquid cooling and your beeping UPS, your unnecessary soundcard and 2 OS's (how can you have even one OS on a PC that won't POST?) and what else, references to aggressive overclocking...
OC an X6800?!? Your rig won't run, but you wish it would so you can OC it...?
You have installed UV and detailed your cabling - but is it all connected correctly? The large molex is on the vidcard okay? Everything else in place?
$500 vidcards do not typically leave the factory not working...
Just pickup a nice OCZ, Enermax or Corsair PSU with multiple 12v rails and ~35-40A (12v) to feed them.
My Enermax cost $179 bucks (Canadian) but is a purely joyful unit :^)
Why anyone would match that X6800 CPU and XTX vidcard ($1500 bucks right there) with a feeble PSU plugged into an unasked-for UPS, escapes me.
People like you frighten me to death - because when I sell something to you that I know works perfectly well, I never want to see it again... heheh
All the malfunctioning stuff (oh well, must be DOA) on these forums is almost beyond belief, LoL! Personally I feel PEBKAC is almost always involved...
Anyway, good luck to you sir. You need to simplify (not complicate) that setup. Re-think your troubleshooting,
Regards
September 18, 2006 4:38:32 PM

I wanted to mention that any 'good' PSU has active universal PFC, 100-240VAC, and not using any little 120V/240V switch.
Quote:
Corsair 8000c5 is 2.2v when run at 1066. Corsair reported support for the Asus P5B Basic.

LoL, heheh - 533MHz memory (1066DDR) is supported by neither Asus or Corsair! Or Intel or anybody.
You do NOT need 16.8 GB/s memory bandwidth to feed your 8.4GB/s CPU.
1:2 ratio FSB:memory is just stupid, unless system is very solid, memory is running ~2.3v and timings are very loose (ie. JEDEC 5-5-5-15)
Suggest you try 1:1 ratio, 266MHz (533DDR), 2.0v, SPD, and get it running solid! Very important, cannot overemphasize: SOLID.
With that fancy memory you will easily achieve CAS3 timings, very tight timings with no problems at low memory voltage.
Like me. (CAS3, 1.8v). Solid as a rock,
L8R
September 18, 2006 7:13:24 PM

I had a long reply, but I have said everything I can... It all comes down too two issues!

1) I hear way too many statements without a single reference, supporting the claim... PLEASE PROVIDE SOME PROOF!

2) I havent seen a single thing I could do that would tell me that the Powersupply is the issue.

Its easy to point at me and say that I am ignorant... and I am not going to argue with that... The truth is that there are very few definitive ways to diagnose a system that is stable 99% of the time... I also am NOT running Windows XP 64 cause the thing doesnt support my 14 year old video card.

It is also very possible that the video card and the MoBo were defective... And With my luck... It is...

Last thing... I have already, on the current machine... Stripped it down to a single Hard Drive with the video card, and memory... The X1900XTX doesnt posts... or it posts but I cant see the damn thing...

Thats it... I have nothing more to say... When I get a replacement VideoCard I will update the thread... and well we will know...

Mike
September 18, 2006 7:43:13 PM

Quote:
I had a long reply, but I have said everything I can... It all comes down too two issues!

1) I hear way too many statements without a single reference, supporting the claim... PLEASE PROVIDE SOME PROOF!

2) I havent seen a single thing I could do that would tell me that the Powersupply is the issue.

Its easy to point at me and say that I am ignorant... and I am not going to argue with that... The truth is that there are very few definitive ways to diagnose a system that is stable 99% of the time... I also am NOT running Windows XP 64 cause the thing doesnt support my 14 year old video card.

It is also very possible that the video card and the MoBo were defective... And With my luck... It is...

Last thing... I have already, on the current machine... Stripped it down to a single Hard Drive with the video card, and memory... The X1900XTX doesnt posts... or it posts but I cant see the damn thing...

Thats it... I have nothing more to say... When I get a replacement VideoCard I will update the thread... and well we will know...

Mike

Can you condense this thread into an Excel spread sheet and maybe try to find someone to host it?
September 18, 2006 7:49:47 PM

Nope but I can Condense this thread...

A) Ultra Power Supplies are said to suck, but no one knows why, or has any resources that support these claims
B) No solutions or trouble shooting advise given...
C) Pages of useless garbage, with no usefull information
D) Clueless is an ASS
E) Clueless doesnt know what an ASS is!
September 18, 2006 8:00:52 PM

Quote:
Nope but I can Condense this thread...

A) Ultra Power Supplies are said to suck, but no one knows why, or has any resources that support these claims

We've all heard so many sob stories from people like you that bought Ultras for their cute look - how's that for a resource? Jonnyguru used to have a page with a detailed look at Ultra PS design and build but he pulled it off a few months ago, not sure why. If that had still been up, I would have linked it.

Quote:
B) No solutions or trouble shooting advise given...

Uggh, you're out of your fockin' mind! Plenty of good advice, but it wasn't the advice (or shall I say "pampering"?) that you seem to need.

Quote:
C) Pages of useless garbage, with no usefull information

You can lead a horse to water...

Quote:
D) Clueless is an ASS
E) Clueless doesnt know what an ASS is!

You are a sad, troubled man - or is it "boy"?
September 18, 2006 8:02:37 PM

Maybe you should get a PCI card PC analyzer post , so you can diagnose any problem on MB or any other connected device as VGA . Should be a cheap tool for you. (here in Brazil cost around USD 30.00) ... So any doubt on your haunted rig will be solved or at least you can have better idea on what's is going wrong... after that you can decide if you need to RMA any other component or say that your PS is reliable ..etc... as you are having a lot of diferent problems , I would advise you to get a PC analyzer card ...
September 18, 2006 9:06:03 PM

I just found this on a site:

Quote:
Unfortunatly Ultra has a long history of offering junk PS's.
It looked like the X-Connect 500W was going to be a turning point for them,
as it was a new design & initally well reviewed, hope & confidence was
increased when the warranty was extended to 3 years.

But then Ultra began stuffing their old junk in to sleek X-Connect boxes &
selling them at lower ratings (400W), without the extended warranty.

Ultra was getting a lot of people to buy their junk,
based on the good performance & reviews of the X-Connect 500W,
so it was hoped that they would continue it as their high quality flagship.

I guess that Ultra was either just not that smart or just too gready.

I know it is not exactly proof that all Ultra power supplies are junk, but it does show that some are. The reason that some are considered junk is because they are lower quality components that have been rebranded as an Ultra product.
Quote:
Ultra Products isnt a manufactirer
hense they rebrand
they infact rebrand a whole range of products
they are a marketing and fullfillment organization
and they order basic products with "features" they think will sell!

That alone is a enough proof for me not to buy an Ultra branded power supply. :twisted:
September 18, 2006 11:13:44 PM

Thats a good advice... but my video card is TOAST!

tried it in another machine... its gone...
September 23, 2006 3:22:00 AM

New video card works great... no crashes...

Bios 509 solves many problems... it even added SATA CD/DVD Rom support, something I didnt know was a problem, and is probably part of the reason why I had too RMA 2 NEW Lite-On SATA drives (which werent even mentioned on the Lite-On website, and I havent checked if they added it)

It also solved the problem with DVD-RW's conflicts, though I did sort out one of the problems was that the NEC IDE DVD RW drive was toast...

I put in a old lite-on with the new bios, and all the problems with the IDE drives are gone...

As far as the powersupply goes... Im angry cause its noisy as hell... but... well Ill just let this talk for itself

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/ultraxPSUreview/ind...

BTW, that was the first version of the PSU... the did improve it on the second version... for thoose who complain that its made by a different company, let me point out that the Corsair 8500 c5 is actually Micron Selected Memory... Its NOT made by Corsair.... Let me also point out that almost every company out there buys parts and even entire products from other companies, then relabels it... I would bet that anyone on this site has a computer product made by another company then badged under a name brand.

Enough said... this thread just pissed me off... Guess its not good to dwell on problems... Everything is coming together now... Now my only problem is that loud PSU, and the Damn P5b... I hope the P5B gets better soon... I expect it too:)  I also got to see if I can improve my watercooling... but that will happen tomorrow:) 

Mike
September 23, 2006 3:54:23 AM

Quote:
As far as the powersupply goes... Im angry cause its noisy as hell... but... well Ill just let this talk for itself

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/ultraxPSUreview/ind...

You consider that a hardware review? That's a Blingview review!

Quote:
Let me also point out that almost every company out there buys parts and even entire products from other companies, then relabels it...

So who makes CPUs for Intel? Does Lian Li farm out their cases? If nobody really makes anything, then where does all this stuff come from?

Quote:
Enough said... this thread just pissed me off... Guess its not good to dwell on problems...

Yet that's exactly what you're doing...
September 23, 2006 4:18:19 AM

Life must be great in that wonderfull world you live in... Wish you would come down and live with everyone else before you decide to post...

BTW; I trust DriverHeaven's reviews over anything on Tomshardware... and definately over the word of a few forum posters...
September 23, 2006 4:25:11 AM

http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/117781-unusual-...

You my friend to put it bluntly are a fool.

You spam your experience here and you are blunt like a fool because you fail to question your right, and see everyone else as wrong. When there are 20 people telling you that your wrong.. well mister Darwin will rule that the stupid and weak don't survive, and by now if we are lucky you have fried your whole computer and are on the way to getting another ultra.

I don't want to excuse my harsh comments, sometimes fools will get all ruffled up in their panties because of the tone, or the tone might knock them on their ass and make them think for once.

I wanted to recommend that psu from reviews also as you can see in that link... But than I started listening to people and questioning myself to see if they are right and I am wrong. Maybe this will light the way for you, but you are still a fool.

Also.. if you spam that experience.. you would have gotten a better NON-modular pus, and customized it to what you feel like is necessary.
September 23, 2006 4:40:54 AM

Since I'm anti-Ultra, I'll just assume this was aimed at the emerald one.

Quote:
http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/117781-unusual-...

You my friend to put it bluntly are a fool.

You spam your experience here and you are blunt like a fool because you fail to question your right, and see everyone else as wrong. When there are 20 people telling you that your wrong.. well mister Darwin will rule that the stupid and weak don't survive, and by now if we are lucky you have fried your whole computer and are on the way to getting another ultra.

I don't want to excuse my harsh comments, sometimes fools will get all ruffled up in their panties because of the tone, or the tone might knock them on their ass and make them think for once.

I wanted to recommend that psu from reviews also as you can see in that link... But than I started listening to people and questioning myself to see if they are right and I am wrong. Maybe this will light the way for you, but you are still a fool.

Also.. if you spam that experience.. you would have gotten a better NON-modular pus, and customized it to what you feel like is necessary.
September 23, 2006 4:50:18 AM

Quote:
Life must be great in that wonderfull world you live in... Wish you would come down and live with everyone else before you decide to post...

That's fine as long as I'm not forced to buy Ultra power supplies that fry all of my components and then defend my Ultra as do you. How many more components will have to be cooked before you suspect your beloved Ultra Bling box? During those painful days when you were waiting on replacements for your cooked components, did you sit around in a darkened room and stare at your Ultra's LEDs?

Quote:
BTW; I trust DriverHeaven's reviews over anything on Tomshardware... and definately over the word of a few forum posters...

That's pretty funny. Maybe you should spam your spread sheet over on DH then.
Call it Green Jelly's Overclock Heaven.
September 24, 2006 3:18:34 PM

Clueless... you are infact an idiot... and are now ignored... I just dont give a shit about someone who makes fun of a tool I made, that havent even used it... Thats not even saying that you feel its ok to justify your idiotic ideals by bringing up another totally unrelated topic, and that you are like your name suggests... CLUELESS!

Show me one Review that states that the ultra x2 is a bad powersupply and that it has uncertainly caused damage, and I will concede...

Just because powersupplies are made by the same companies dont justify that they are A) the same and B) that they are poor quality.

A) companies choose different design based on users needs
B) companies that produce large amounts of products have the resources to design better products...

Memory is only made by 3 or 4 companies... but how many different memory companies can you find... each with different name brands...

Corsair, one of the most respected names in memory, DOES NOT BUILD THEIR OWN MEMORY...

BTW, my machine has been running perfectly without a single problem... but I guess that wont last because of that Peace of Shit powersupply you guys are convinced will fry everything... without providing any sources of information regardless...

Guess what guys, PSU's have been out for 50+ years... this isnt rocket science...

I guess this forum is infact a waste of time.. Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one... I back my Opinions with articles and research... I would expect the same from others, and until someone does, I just dont care what you say.

BTW, my last post Proved allot of your Assumptions wrong... guess you their are some ignorance left... too bad people dont know when there idiots...
September 24, 2006 4:20:28 PM

Quote:
I guess this forum is infact a waste of time.. Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one...

Good - piss off, then.
Quote:
too bad people dont know when there idiots...

I believe you mean "they are idiots" (which is abbreviated "they're").
Nobody likes your PS but you. But if you like it fine, okay - that's all that really matters right? Be happy.
And don't come back, LoL
Regards
September 24, 2006 6:49:08 PM

Quote:
I believe you mean "they are idiots" (which is abbreviated "they're").
Nobody likes your PS but you. But if you like it fine, okay - that's all that really matters right? Be happy.
And don't come back, LoL
Regards

Its "PSU" not "PS"... since we are correcting each other...

I just got this newsflash..

According to a top secrete document, President Bush started the war with Iraq because he was angry when his computers PSU, made by Ultra, overheated and started shooting lightning all over the place... killing his favorite fish "flipper"...

Poor, Poor, flipper.

In related news, a man named Clueless and a few others, go on a personal conquest to unleash the secret defects of the Ultra PSU. According to one of the individuals, who would like to remain anonymous, was quoted as saying: "The Ultra PS, suddenly went off firing lightning up my ass". Unfortunately the individual forgot to attach the "U" to the "PSU", dropping his credibility to 0.

-------------

Based on this knowledge and the understanding that unlike somepeople, I dont like lightning in the ass. Before this happens, Ive decided to throw my PSU away, and sue everyone who ever wrote a positive review. I am spending BILLIONS on this conquest... and will give money to the "repair Clueless's and others ass fund"
September 25, 2006 4:58:59 AM

Quote:
Clueless... you are infact an idiot... and are now ignored...

Then your reply is oxymoronic. Perhaps Webster's could help you understand complex words such as "ignore".

Quote:
I just dont give a **** about someone who makes fun of a tool I made, that havent even used it...

You care enough to reply, to call names and to swear, so your honesty is again in doubt.

Quote:
Show me one Review that states that the ultra x2 is a bad powersupply and that it has uncertainly caused damage, and I will concede...

This very thread is itself an incredibly negative review of the Ultra. Anyone that would read the garbage you've posted here, then watched how you've ignored solid advice would surely recognize your Ultra loyalty as a red flag. There are other more straightforward negative reviews of the x2 but go do your own homework.

Quote:
BTW, my machine has been running perfectly without a single problem...

Just in case you forgot how you embarassed yourself in your opening post to this thread, I'll pull up a portion of it:

"First My Motherboard went bad... I returned it and got a new one back within a week... Then I go and plug in the VideoCard, and get no post (or a post with no signal to video) 1 beep followed by 3 short! Ohh no... Video cards F$#@ed... Now I got to RMA the VideoCard... The construction time alone has taken weeks of time... While the problems have taken even more weeks.."

Quote:
I guess this forum is infact a waste of time...

So you're finally gonna STFU?

Quote:
you are like your name suggests... CLUELESS!

A friend that reads Tom's emailed the other day when you were trolling about my handle just like you did above. My friend asked me why I'd give myself a self-depreciating handle like that. I told him that I did it because no matter how much we learn there is still much more left to be learned. Look at the interactions amongst the most technically adept on this forum or at any technical conference - top people learn from others just as they teach. My friend then asked why you used Green Jelly. Simple, said I - he's showing the balance of what he has too much of (green) with that which he is deficient (jelly = brains).
September 25, 2006 5:26:18 PM

Quote:
Clueless... you are infact an idiot... and are now ignored...

Then your reply is oxymoronic. Perhaps Webster's could help you understand complex words such as "ignore".

Quote:
I just dont give a **** about someone who makes fun of a tool I made, that havent even used it...

You care enough to reply, to call names and to swear, so your honesty is again in doubt.

Quote:

This very thread is itself an incredibly negative review of the Ultra. Anyone that would read the garbage you've posted here, then watched how you've ignored solid advice would surely recognize your Ultra loyalty as a red flag. There are other more straightforward negative reviews of the x2 but go do your own homework.

Quote:
BTW, my machine has been running perfectly without a single problem...

Just in case you forgot how you embarassed yourself in your opening post to this thread, I'll pull up a portion of it:

"First My Motherboard went bad... I returned it and got a new one back within a week... Then I go and plug in the VideoCard, and get no post (or a post with no signal to video) 1 beep followed by 3 short! Ohh no... Video cards F$#@ed... Now I got to RMA the VideoCard... The construction time alone has taken weeks of time... While the problems have taken even more weeks.."

Quote:
I guess this forum is infact a waste of time...

So you're finally gonna STFU?

Quote:
you are like your name suggests... CLUELESS!

A friend that reads Tom's emailed the other day when you were trolling about my handle just like you did above. My friend asked me why I'd give myself a self-depreciating handle like that. I told him that I did it because no matter how much we learn there is still much more left to be learned. Look at the interactions amongst the most technically adept on this forum or at any technical conference - top people learn from others just as they teach. My friend then asked why you used Green Jelly. Simple, said I - he's showing the balance of what he has too much of (green) with that which he is deficient (jelly = brains).

nice essay, too bad he said he ignored u...dumbass

wow im glad i own a dell

EDITED FOR SPELLING ERRORS...DONT WANNA BE RIPPED APART HERE
September 25, 2006 5:47:35 PM

Quote:
nice essay, too bad he said he ignored u...

Yea, he says that often, like each time he replies back.

Quote:
dumbass

What, you wading into a situation you don't understand? Yes, I agree that's pretty dumb.

Quote:
wow im glad i own a dell

I'm glad you own a Dell too. A home-built is probably well beyond your abilities. You should use your Dell to help with your obvious problems.
!