Sign in with
Your question

Video Card for widescreen resolutions? - Page 2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 18, 2006 11:30:17 PM

well the x1300 is a generation ahead of the 6200, and ati is the king of vid playbak, for now at least, anyways the only thing thats got u in a pickle is linux os, idk how gd the drivers are from ati or nvidia are
a b U Graphics card
September 18, 2006 11:46:06 PM

Quote:
Quick Google did not find any fx6200 PCI, they are all PCI-e.

No such thing as a reference FX6200, it's a Geforce6200 (hence GF) or FX 5xxx series (or Quadro), no FX6200. Try Gefore 6200 PCI, cause there's a bunch out there.

http://www.bfgtech.com/6200_256_PCI.html

Harder to find passive cooling, but they exist too.

Quote:
Somebody else suggested that ATI were not hot on Linux suppotr which is required by original poster.

Someone suggested that, but for what he's using it for they are close enough not to matter, whereas the FX series quality is far enough behind that it's worth the effort of getting involved in the Linux community and making your system work if you're so dead set on Linux. Also most of the PureVideo/Avivo features end up on the cutting room floor for Linux at the moment.
So if you MUST use Linux an FX5200 won't be at as great a disadvantage as on an M$ system but the quality of the TMDS and RAMDACs will suck compared to the other options as well so it's just piling bad ontop of worse, but either way you'll be a long way away from the Windows PCs running GF6s and recent Radeons.
Related resources
September 19, 2006 1:34:45 AM

You will be lucky to find a new socket 370 motherboard now, and if you do its likely to cost a fortune. It will be a matter of what you can find. I don't think any of the intel 810 chipsets supported an AGP slot, so for intel it would be an 815 chipset. My motherboard is baesed on a via chipset, i think the PL133 chipset, but this also has no AGP slot.

If you want to use the tualatin CPUs you will have to check out a motherboard before buying. The support for these boards is not much help these days as I think the motherboard makers assume/hope we have all moved on.

One thing the tualatin CPUs are good for is heat. They were made using a .13 micron process so their power consumption is low for their speed and age. Intel's website may help you. One of my first PCs used a celeron 433 Meg, and that used a passive heatsink. Other projects I have been invlolved in have used passivley cooled 50meg pentiums and 200 meg AMD K6s so it is possible to passively cool the the CPU but it will need a very good passive heatsink on it, Where you would get this I do not know.

You may be able to acheive what you want on the cheap, but it will be an old system with little or no support for it. You may well end up paying a premium for the parts you want, and find it will strugle with playing back some types of video files. If you can find the parts you need cheaply then fine, but if not stick with what you have and save the money for some more modern hardware, and investigate some different forms of silent cooling.

That's just my point of view remember.

Rob Murphy
September 19, 2006 3:39:07 PM

I think my new system will look like this:

Already own:
- Lite-On DVD burner
- SB Live sound card

NewEgg.com:
- case and power supply $30 (quiet PS fan)
- Nvidia 6200 AGP video card $35 (passive cooling, binary Linux drivers from Nvidia may support PureVideo)
- 320GB hard drive $95 (quiet)
- Adesso wireless keyboard/touchpad $85
- DVI cable $10
- ethernet card $5

eBay:
- socket 370 motherboard $25 (Tualatin support, AGP slot, FSB and voltage set via jumper or BIOS)
- Tualatin Celeron 1.2Ghz $20 (100fsb and possibly overclockable, passive cooling only)
- 512MB PC-133 memory $30
- Netgear WG311T wireless card $35 (supports the proprietary 108Mbps technology in my Netgear network)

One question I have is the whole 1X/2X/4X/8X AGP thing. Do I need to make sure my motherboard and video card support the same AGP speed, or will a 4X card in a 1X slot just slow down?
December 27, 2006 12:23:34 PM

Quote:
WHOOA THERE BIG FELLA!

You don't need a new video card. Built in video can handle custom resolutions just fine. What you need is "PowerStrip" by Entech of Taiwan. PowerStrip allows you to create any custom resolution you like, provided your graphics chipset is supported - which it most certainly is.

PowerStrip has about 88 Quintillion other really great features too: like GPU core and memory overclocking, icon control, screen geometry tweaking, fine granularity control over the advanced timing features of CRTs (and LCDs too) and absolute contrtol over refresh rates.

Hey Mobius....

Maybe you can help me......this is along the same topic....

I just got a Acer 19" widescreen LCD monitor....My PC is about a year old, but has an integrated video chip....an S3 UnichromePro/PVM800 chipset......that chip wont do the 1440x900 resolution the new monitor calls for.....

I am having trouble finding an inexpensive AGP card that will support this resolution...just cant seem to locate that info when browsing cards....will Powerstrip help me? I also wanted to use the monitor with my old Win2000-based video editing system running a G-400Flex card (cannot change cards on that machine due to integration with teh RT2000 video editing cardset)...wondering if I can use Powerstrip there too..... ?

Thanks in advance....
      • 2 / 2
!