Win2K can't see my PATA HD

chau_ya

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001
Hi all,

I just installed a SATA HD (WD 250gb Caviar) to my PC. This is the system Drive disk (Win2K on it). The PC boots from this. PC works fine.

So, the old (previously used) PATA HD is still on the Parallel IDE cable. Its jumper is still set at master.

Problem is that my BIOS "sees" both of these SATA and PATA HD's but Windows Explorer and My comp>Manage>Disk Management ... can't see the PATA HD.

Could you all chip in your help for me so that I can get this PATA HD shown on explorer? I feel like I've tryed many ways I know of but at no avail.

Everything else on my PC seems working well except this "invisible" PATA HD problem. :(

Thank you all in advance

chau_ya

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001
Thanks, SomeJoe, for your suggestion.
I looked thru my bios and could not find that "IDE/SATA mode" option. Hence can't do it. Maybe it is "masked" under some other names ??!!

Any othe suggestions out there.
Regards.

sturm

Splendid
not totaly sure if 2000 is like xp, but look under drive management and see if it sees it there. You may just have to initialize the drive.
Try right clicking my computer and selecting manage.

chau_ya

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001
Sturm,
I could not find the "nitialize the drive" feature you mentioned under my Win2K SP4. Thank you anyway.
Regards.

chau_ya

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001
Hi Sturm,

Thank you for your persistence in helping me :) and sorry for taking a little long to reply as it took me much effort to troubleshoot my PC.

With your advice and a much closer look it reveals that windows did indeed see both drives. But the way windows displayed those made me confused. It showed both with the same size (the limit 127GB) since their actual sizes were larger than that (Sata drive = 250GB and Pata = 160GB).

So I went ahead and formated the rest portions of them. Using the WD-CD ROM Data Lifeguard Tools I can bypass the 127gb limit of windows just on the second HD (PATA). It is now 149GB (the numbers never adds up correctly). The CD Rom does not allow me to merge the 2 portions of the boot sata HD. So now it shows 2 portions: 127GB and 104GB.

My PC is running smoothly now and I'm happy with all the additional storage space. Sad to lose some data during this process.

Thank you all for helping. This is a great community.
Regards.