free firewalls

does anyone know of a freeware firewall? ive seen zone alarm and other that
are free but i dont want to use them without someone elses input. thanks
--
van
14 answers Last reply

    Zone Alarm is to firewalls what AOL is to interenet
    service providers. everything in the program is very
    pretty and graphical. Zone Alarm is also setup for people
    who are new to computers that dont understand complicated
    programs. Because it is setup for people that are naive,
    it tries to give these users a sense of being protecting
    by popping up these "hack attempts" on your computer
    about every five minutes. People that use Zone Alarm are
    usually some of the most paranoid people on the internet
    because ZA makes them think that people are constantly
    trying to hack them. The irony of this lies in the fact
    that the level of protection provided by ZA is not
    sufficient enough for when someone who really knows their
    kung foo tries to hit you. Actually, most of these "hack"
    attempts logged by ZA are actually just your computer
    communicating with servers and is in fact not anything
    malicious at all. the last time i personally tried ZA (i
    do silly things like that sometimes, i even tried Kazaa
    one time to compare it to my KazaaLiteK++) it did not
    protect me from DOS attacks, nor did it provide the IP
    addresses of these supposed "hack attempts". It did
    however overstep its bounds as a firewall by blocking
    popups and cookies, most of the time in a way that caused
    me more inconvenience than help. i dont want a firewall
    to block popups, cookies, spyware, do my laundry, or wash
    my dishes. i just want a firewall that protects my PC
    from REAL hack attempts. Sygate does this, and it does it
    well. Sygate even tells me what kind of attack was put on
    me, whether it was a port scan or DOS or whatever AND it
    gives me the little b@st@rds IP address.

    ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's
    built-in firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are
    free versions of each readily available.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "van" <van@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > does anyone know of a freeware firewall? ive seen zone alarm and
    > other that
    > are free but i dont want to use them without someone elses input.
    > thanks
    > --
    > van

    Only evaluate one at a time. Turn off the XP firewall. ZA seems the most
    popular.

    In news:51CC5AC6-5D1F-479E-B9BD-A204B50CE769@microsoft.com,
    van <van@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > does anyone know of a freeware firewall? ive seen zone alarm
    > and
    > other that are free but i dont want to use them without someone
    > elses
    > input. thanks

    I'm happy with the free version of ZoneAlarm.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Hey ... Yep I agree that Sygate Pro is a pretty good firewall and I know I
    wouldn't ever use ZA again ... Also AVG Pro Anti Virus is pretty good too

    "dude" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Zone Alarm is to firewalls what AOL is to interenet
    > service providers. everything in the program is very
    > pretty and graphical. Zone Alarm is also setup for people
    > who are new to computers that dont understand complicated
    > programs. Because it is setup for people that are naive,
    > it tries to give these users a sense of being protecting
    > by popping up these "hack attempts" on your computer
    > about every five minutes. People that use Zone Alarm are
    > usually some of the most paranoid people on the internet
    > because ZA makes them think that people are constantly
    > trying to hack them. The irony of this lies in the fact
    > that the level of protection provided by ZA is not
    > sufficient enough for when someone who really knows their
    > kung foo tries to hit you. Actually, most of these "hack"
    > attempts logged by ZA are actually just your computer
    > communicating with servers and is in fact not anything
    > malicious at all. the last time i personally tried ZA (i
    > do silly things like that sometimes, i even tried Kazaa
    > one time to compare it to my KazaaLiteK++) it did not
    > protect me from DOS attacks, nor did it provide the IP
    > addresses of these supposed "hack attempts". It did
    > however overstep its bounds as a firewall by blocking
    > popups and cookies, most of the time in a way that caused
    > me more inconvenience than help. i dont want a firewall
    > to block popups, cookies, spyware, do my laundry, or wash
    > my dishes. i just want a firewall that protects my PC
    > from REAL hack attempts. Sygate does this, and it does it
    > well. Sygate even tells me what kind of attack was put on
    > me, whether it was a port scan or DOS or whatever AND it
    > gives me the little b@st@rds IP address.

    A long way of getting there but I agree Sygate is pretty good "straight out
    of the box" as they say but offers a lot of configuration when required.
    Also it has the smallest system process out of Kerio,zonealarm, and outpost
    might not bother you to much but its one of those things I like to know
    about.

    Andy B

    Andy (The Fiddler) wrote:

    >A long way of getting there but I agree Sygate is pretty good "straight out
    >of the box" as they say but offers a lot of configuration when required.
    >Also it has the smallest system process out of Kerio,zonealarm, and outpost might not bother you to much but its one of those things I like to know about.
    >
    >Andy B
    >

    >"dude" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    >

    >>i just want a firewall that protects my PC
    >>from REAL hack attempts. Sygate does this, and it does it
    >>well. Sygate even tells me what kind of attack was put on
    >>me, whether it was a port scan or DOS or whatever AND it
    >>gives me the little b@st@rds IP address.

    Make that 3 votes or more for Sygate Personal Firewall... the free
    version, in my case. For all the reasons
    previously stated. I've used it for several years with ease.
    bj

    Another endorsement for Sygate.
    Also, their scan test site is pretty good: Scan.sygate.com
    Tiny is another option... Sort of easy to use and configure with good rule
    and filter options.
    ZA is problematic on XP, as is the Symantec Firewall.

    Steve

    "dude" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Zone Alarm is to firewalls what AOL is to interenet
    > service providers. everything in the program is very
    > pretty and graphical. Zone Alarm is also setup for people
    > who are new to computers that dont understand complicated
    > programs. Because it is setup for people that are naive,
    > it tries to give these users a sense of being protecting
    > by popping up these "hack attempts" on your computer
    > about every five minutes. People that use Zone Alarm are
    > usually some of the most paranoid people on the internet
    > because ZA makes them think that people are constantly
    > trying to hack them. The irony of this lies in the fact
    > that the level of protection provided by ZA is not
    > sufficient enough for when someone who really knows their
    > kung foo tries to hit you. Actually, most of these "hack"
    > attempts logged by ZA are actually just your computer
    > communicating with servers and is in fact not anything
    > malicious at all. the last time i personally tried ZA (i
    > do silly things like that sometimes, i even tried Kazaa
    > one time to compare it to my KazaaLiteK++) it did not
    > protect me from DOS attacks, nor did it provide the IP
    > addresses of these supposed "hack attempts". It did
    > however overstep its bounds as a firewall by blocking
    > popups and cookies, most of the time in a way that caused
    > me more inconvenience than help. i dont want a firewall
    > to block popups, cookies, spyware, do my laundry, or wash
    > my dishes. i just want a firewall that protects my PC
    > from REAL hack attempts. Sygate does this, and it does it
    > well. Sygate even tells me what kind of attack was put on
    > me, whether it was a port scan or DOS or whatever AND it
    > gives me the little b@st@rds IP address.

    Van, if you are running windows xp with sp2 you have a firewall. Bill

    "Bill Summers" <wsummers1@socal.rr.com> wrote in message

    > Van, if you are running windows xp with sp2 you have a firewall.

    Please note that, despite what many people think, the presence of a firewall
    in Windows XP is *not* new with SP2. There was always a firewall in XP.

    What's new in SP2 with regard to the firewall are some improvements, but
    primarily the fact that it's turned on by default.

    But both in the original XP firewall and SP2's, only incoming traffic is
    monitored; nothing is done to protect against rogue programs trying to call
    home. For that reason, almost any of the third-party firewalls, such as the
    free version of ZoneAlarm, is a better choice.

    --
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Shell/User
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    True, but not a particularly good one.

    WinXP's built-in firewall is adequate at stopping incoming attacks,
    and hiding your ports from probes. What WinXP SP2's firewall does not
    do, is protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you (or someone
    else using your computer) might download and install inadvertently.
    It doesn't monitor out-going traffic at all, other than to check for
    IP-spoofing, much less block (or at even ask you about) the bad or the
    questionable out-going signals. It assumes that any application you
    have on your hard drive is there because you want it there, and
    therefore has your "permission" to access the Internet. Further,
    because the Windows Firewall is a "stateful" firewall, it will also
    assume that any incoming traffic that's a direct response to a
    Trojan's or spyware's out-going signal is also authorized.

    ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's
    built-in firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are
    free versions of each readily available. Even the commercially
    available Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is superior by far,
    although it does take a heavier toll of system performance then do
    ZoneAlarm or Sygate.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    van wrote:

    > does anyone know of a freeware firewall? ive seen zone alarm and other that
    > are free but i dont want to use them without someone elses input. thanks
    There are free version of Sygate, Outpost, Kerio, ZoneAlarm firewalls.
    You can try to install one.
    But free version firewalls are old, so after trial better to buy one.

    Ben wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics:

    > van wrote:
    >
    >> does anyone know of a freeware firewall? ive seen zone alarm and
    >> other that are free but i dont want to use them without someone elses
    >> input. thanks
    >
    > There are free version of Sygate, Outpost, Kerio, ZoneAlarm firewalls.
    > You can try to install one.
    > But free version firewalls are old, so after trial better to buy one.

    Not true, at least in the case of ZoneAlarm -- the version numbers of the
    freeware version and the paid Pro, Pro with Anti-Virus, and Security Suite
    versions are largely the same; the only difference is the feature set.

    IMHO, if the freeware version works fine, I'd say stick with it. But if one
    needs the extra features that the pay versions have, I'd go ahead and pony
    up the cash.

    --
    Glenn Shaw
    Indianapolis, IN USA

    Glenn Shaw wrote:

    > Ben wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics:
    >

    >>van wrote:
    >>

    >>>does anyone know of a freeware firewall? ive seen zone alarm and
    >>>other that are free but i dont want to use them without someone elses
    >>>input. thanks
    >>
    >>There are free version of Sygate, Outpost, Kerio, ZoneAlarm firewalls.
    >>You can try to install one.
    >>But free version firewalls are old, so after trial better to buy one.
    >

    > Not true, at least in the case of ZoneAlarm -- the version numbers of the
    > freeware version and the paid Pro, Pro with Anti-Virus, and Security Suite
    > versions are largely the same; the only difference is the feature set.
    >
    > IMHO, if the freeware version works fine, I'd say stick with it. But if one
    > needs the extra features that the pay versions have, I'd go ahead and pony
    > up the cash.

    You can try to learn how to use the new features.
    If you can offer it, why not buy the newest one.
    The leading technologies will be used in the future,
    if you can have it now and know how to use it,
    you will be a cool one.

Freeware Firewalls Microsoft Windows XP