HP 995c Magenta, Brown and Black Print Only

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
a b α HP
September 6, 2005 4:41:46 PM

I had a problem with our HP 995c deskjet, it would only print in black
and magenta, and then just black. We bought some new cartridges, and I
have just put the colour one in. It still only prints everything in
magenta, with the odd bit of brown and black. I am using it with XP,
and I have even upgraded the firmware to the latest version. Can anyone
advise as to what may be wrong? It hasn't been used for a while, but I
understood the nozzles are in the cartridges, so presumably it can't be
the cartridges. The test print just prints in black and magenta too.

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 6, 2005 4:51:09 PM

<adriennebottomley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I had a problem with our HP 995c deskjet, it would only print in black
> and magenta, and then just black. We bought some new cartridges, and I
> have just put the colour one in. It still only prints everything in
> magenta, with the odd bit of brown and black. I am using it with XP,
> and I have even upgraded the firmware to the latest version. Can anyone
> advise as to what may be wrong? It hasn't been used for a while, but I
> understood the nozzles are in the cartridges, so presumably it can't be
> the cartridges. The test print just prints in black and magenta too.

You have a defective #78 cartridge, possibly one stored improperly or long past
its shelf life. Check the warranty date as shown at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=e...
If the cartridge is still within its two year warranty (and an original HP
cartridge) then contact HP or your dealer for a replacement.

When buying new cartridges look for the "install by" date on the package.

Regards,
a b α HP
September 6, 2005 6:53:05 PM

Thaks for the advice Tony. I've tried cleaning the pins inside the
cartridge bays, as well as the back of the new cartridges. The test
print still ends up just printing a black bar, and under that, a
magenta bar, before doing some other black bars and one more magenta in
the middle at the bottom.

This is a brand new colour cartridge and I am puzzled as the test
prints look just like the ones I was getting when I though the old
colour cartridge may have run out of some of the colours except
magenta. I put the printer away for a year, and only recently decided
to get a new pair of cartridges. Could it really be something wrong
inside the printer? If so, I suspect there's nothing cost effectively
to be done about it. It had hardly been used when this problem first
surfaced.
Related resources
September 7, 2005 12:13:01 AM

adriennebottomley@hotmail.com wrote:
>I had a problem with our HP 995c deskjet, it would only print in black
>and magenta, and then just black. We bought some new cartridges, and I
>have just put the colour one in. It still only prints everything in
>magenta, with the odd bit of brown and black. I am using it with XP,
>and I have even upgraded the firmware to the latest version. Can anyone
>advise as to what may be wrong? It hasn't been used for a while, but I
>understood the nozzles are in the cartridges, so presumably it can't be
>the cartridges. The test print just prints in black and magenta too.
>
>Thanks.

Adrienne
If the internal test print does not print correctly then the most likely cause
is the cartridge(s). Try cleaning the contacts on the back of the cartridges
with a cotton swab moistened with Isopropyl alcohol and then do the same for
the corresponding contacts in the printer (power off). Do this for both
cartridges. If this fails to fix it you may have to get replacement cartridges
(return the ones you just bought if you can). If that fails then you have a
failed printer (a very unusual failure in my experience, so I would expect
cleaning or cartridge replacement to fix it).
Tony
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 7, 2005 1:05:20 AM

> This is a brand new colour cartridge and I am puzzled as the test
> prints look just like the ones I was getting when I though the old
> colour cartridge may have run out of some of the colours except
> magenta. I put the printer away for a year, and only recently decided
> to get a new pair of cartridges. Could it really be something wrong
> inside the printer? If so, I suspect there's nothing cost effectively
> to be done about it. It had hardly been used when this problem first
> surfaced.

No, it is *not* the printer, it is the cartridge. You can confirm this by
carefully blotting the printhead on a damp tissue - you will see only magenta,
not yellow or cyan. A fresh new cartridge will solve your problem. Look for
the "install by" date when buying a new cartridge. It is also not the
contacts, as for two colors to be out would require 8 separate pads to not make
contact.

Check the warranty date as shown at
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=e..., I
would bet you have a very old cartridge.

Regards,
September 7, 2005 4:20:34 AM

adriennebottomley@hotmail.com wrote:
>Thaks for the advice Tony. I've tried cleaning the pins inside the
>cartridge bays, as well as the back of the new cartridges. The test
>print still ends up just printing a black bar, and under that, a
>magenta bar, before doing some other black bars and one more magenta in
>the middle at the bottom.
>
>This is a brand new colour cartridge and I am puzzled as the test
>prints look just like the ones I was getting when I though the old
>colour cartridge may have run out of some of the colours except
>magenta. I put the printer away for a year, and only recently decided
>to get a new pair of cartridges. Could it really be something wrong
>inside the printer? If so, I suspect there's nothing cost effectively
>to be done about it. It had hardly been used when this problem first
>surfaced.

In that case your printer has almost certainly failed, no it isn't worth
repairing; cheaper to replace it. See if you can get your money back on the
cartrdige, no harm in trying.
Tony
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 7, 2005 4:42:22 AM

The tissue blotting test suggested above does indeed result in a THREE
colour imprint. The odd thing is, what may have accounted for 8 pins to
have failed? Either a ribbon connector cooming slighly out on the back
of the head assembly (or elsewhere) a component failure elsewhere. It
seems a pity to junk an otherwise functional printer (it prints black
text OK of course).

Many thanks for all the advice - pity it turns out to be such a
universal bad diagnosis, I almost wish the suggestion about it being a
bad cartridge was right - although, it could, conceivably (but
unlikely) be down to bad luck vis a vis the contacts on the back of the
cartridge(s) I guess. It does look like a hardware problem in the
printer though ;-(

Any explanations for why on some of the prints I can see magenta, black
and BROWN?
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 7, 2005 5:42:04 AM

On 6 Sep 2005 14:53:05 -0700, adriennebottomley@hotmail.com wrote:

>Thaks for the advice Tony. I've tried cleaning the pins inside the
>cartridge bays, as well as the back of the new cartridges. The test
>print still ends up just printing a black bar, and under that, a
>magenta bar, before doing some other black bars and one more magenta in
>the middle at the bottom.
>
>This is a brand new colour cartridge and I am puzzled as the test
>prints look just like the ones I was getting when I though the old
>colour cartridge may have run out of some of the colours except
>magenta. I put the printer away for a year, and only recently decided
>to get a new pair of cartridges. Could it really be something wrong
>inside the printer? If so, I suspect there's nothing cost effectively
>to be done about it. It had hardly been used when this problem first
>surfaced.

These printers are extremely reliable. We've used them for general
office colour printing since they came out. But, to be honest, if
you've done all the cleaning and got the latest drivers, then you've
done all you can. I'm afraid it's come to the end of it's useful life.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

> Yes it is possible for an electronic or logic failure to produce strange
> results, the compelling evidence is that identical results are produced with
> two different cartridges. I have seen this type of failure rarely but
> unfortunately it does happen. Pity really, this model of printer is very
> reliable and has given great service to many owners. Bob's advice that it would
> take 8 contacts to fail to produce these symptoms is I am sure correct, it does
> not however cover the possibility of a failure within the printer logic, rare
> though that is. Bottom line is that from time to time we see failures that are
> hard to explain but nevertheless impossible to ignore.

What about the ribbon or rather the flat plastic trace connections
connection between the logic board and the printer? I have no real
experence working on the 995c but no matter how reliable a printer is
thin trace connections that bend often can become broken. Unfortunatly
they are a pain to repair... a temp measure i've used in the past was
picking up silver paint from a model shop and using a single strand
from a brush managed to paint on a trace. I don't know if the printer
to cartridge holder can be swapped out with ease... I seem to remember
a small pcb board held in with two or so screws on another HP from an
earlier 900 series.
September 7, 2005 9:24:22 AM

"Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote:
><adriennebottomley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> This is a brand new colour cartridge and I am puzzled as the test
>> prints look just like the ones I was getting when I though the old
>> colour cartridge may have run out of some of the colours except
>> magenta. I put the printer away for a year, and only recently decided
>> to get a new pair of cartridges. Could it really be something wrong
>> inside the printer? If so, I suspect there's nothing cost effectively
>> to be done about it. It had hardly been used when this problem first
>> surfaced.
>
>No, it is *not* the printer, it is the cartridge. You can confirm this by
>carefully blotting the printhead on a damp tissue - you will see only magenta,
>not yellow or cyan. A fresh new cartridge will solve your problem. Look for
>the "install by" date when buying a new cartridge. It is also not the
>contacts, as for two colors to be out would require 8 separate pads to not
>make
>contact.
>
>Check the warranty date as shown at
>http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=e...,
>would bet you have a very old cartridge.
>
>Regards,
>Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

Bob
The poster reported identical results from 2 cartridges, hence the diagnosis.
Tony
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 7, 2005 11:04:10 AM

> It does look like a hardware problem in the printer though ;-(

Sorry, I still do not buy that. What is the date on the cartridges as shown
at the warranty page I gave earlier? What is the "install by" date on the box
(if you still have it)? It is not uncommon for a user to get multiple old old
cartridges from the same source, or to have cartridges sitting in a drawer for
a few years. When they try two cartridges they believe the printer has failed
when in fact they just have two very old cartridges.

An electrical problem that affects only cyan and yellow but not magenta is
simply not likely.

Regards,
September 7, 2005 12:12:00 PM

adriennebottomley@hotmail.com wrote:
>The tissue blotting test suggested above does indeed result in a THREE
>colour imprint. The odd thing is, what may have accounted for 8 pins to
>have failed? Either a ribbon connector cooming slighly out on the back
>of the head assembly (or elsewhere) a component failure elsewhere. It
>seems a pity to junk an otherwise functional printer (it prints black
>text OK of course).
>
>Many thanks for all the advice - pity it turns out to be such a
>universal bad diagnosis, I almost wish the suggestion about it being a
>bad cartridge was right - although, it could, conceivably (but
>unlikely) be down to bad luck vis a vis the contacts on the back of the
>cartridge(s) I guess. It does look like a hardware problem in the
>printer though ;-(
>
>Any explanations for why on some of the prints I can see magenta, black
>and BROWN?

Not sure I have all the answers....
If both cartridges show all three colours well on a damp tissue then those inks
exist in the cartridge and at least some of the nozzles are allowing ink to
flow. If neither of the colour cartridges result in correct printing and they
have the same symptoms, then the chances of it being a failed cartridge (albeit
the best result for you) is very remote after you have so carefully cleaned the
contacts. This is reinforced by the fact that one of the cartridges is brand
new.
Yes it is possible for an electronic or logic failure to produce strange
results, the compelling evidence is that identical results are produced with
two different cartridges. I have seen this type of failure rarely but
unfortunately it does happen. Pity really, this model of printer is very
reliable and has given great service to many owners. Bob's advice that it would
take 8 contacts to fail to produce these symptoms is I am sure correct, it does
not however cover the possibility of a failure within the printer logic, rare
though that is. Bottom line is that from time to time we see failures that are
hard to explain but nevertheless impossible to ignore.
I wish I had better advice.
Best wishes
Tony
September 7, 2005 1:52:51 PM

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Yes it is possible for an electronic or logic failure to produce strange
>> results, the compelling evidence is that identical results are produced with
>> two different cartridges. I have seen this type of failure rarely but
>> unfortunately it does happen. Pity really, this model of printer is very
>> reliable and has given great service to many owners. Bob's advice that it
>>would
>> take 8 contacts to fail to produce these symptoms is I am sure correct, it
>>does
>> not however cover the possibility of a failure within the printer logic, rare
>> though that is. Bottom line is that from time to time we see failures that
>>are
>> hard to explain but nevertheless impossible to ignore.
>
>What about the ribbon or rather the flat plastic trace connections
>connection between the logic board and the printer? I have no real
>experence working on the 995c but no matter how reliable a printer is
>thin trace connections that bend often can become broken. Unfortunatly
>they are a pain to repair... a temp measure i've used in the past was
>picking up silver paint from a model shop and using a single strand
>from a brush managed to paint on a trace. I don't know if the printer
>to cartridge holder can be swapped out with ease... I seem to remember
>a small pcb board held in with two or so screws on another HP from an
>earlier 900 series.

Yes that can happen, I would expect only one conductor to fail at first and I
doubt if that would cause such a significant failure, but I do not have
sufficient detailed knowledge of the electronics of this model to be sure. In
any event the cost of repair at a printer repair shop would be prohibitive and
the skills required to effect a permanent or semi-permanent fix are
significant. My suspicion is that the failure is deeper in the printer
electronics, sad of course but it happens. I have a printer at home (make
deliberately withheld, but not HP) that failed after 3 months, sent off for
warranty repair, failed 2 months later, sent off for warranty repair, failed 6
months later and I gave up....bought another make. The same make and model of
the printer that gave me grief has given many people great service.....what do
I say? I guess I got a bad one! The printer still sits in my garage gathering
dust, head clogs and the occasional foul look from me; I must take it to work
and dispose of it in a sound ecological and respectful manner.
Tony
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 7, 2005 3:12:48 PM

The replacement C6578A Tri-Colour is one from a company that does
remanufacurerd cartridges (I'm not mentioning the name as some would
take that as bad press, and it's not clear at the moment that it is the
cartridge given the blot test - they're good about replacements, and
it's one of the more reputable companies that uses new parts). The
original cartridge was the HP one which came with the printer.
Initially we wondered whether it could have been a flash ROM problem,
as we have reflashed it with the lastest image. I'm not sure if the
problem occurred before that, but it certainly printed exactly the same
way with the original HP cartridge. When it first started doing this we
thought it must have been a blocked nozzle - but memories fade and all
we know for sure is that it worked when first bought, was put away for
a while whilst we used a more cost effective laser, and then did this
when brought back out again. We just can't remember whether we tried
reflashing it before, or after encountering this "all magenta problem".

We reflashed yet again yesterday. Is it at all possible that this could
be the cause of the problem? It looks like it was dated July 2003

[REDIST_FIRMWARE_FILE]
filename=GF00107A_LVB_BNA_NOBOOT.hfx
[Printer_additional_info]
vid=0x03f0
pid=0x5004
error_pid=0xcafe
printername=hp deskjet 995c
printerflashname=Deskjet reflas
printermodelnumber=DeskJet 995C
printerglueentry=hp deskjet 995c series
[ENTRIES_FOR_PASTE]
CatalogFile_String=CatalogFile
September 7, 2005 8:32:33 PM

In message <11hshr8m7p0gc0e@corp.supernews.com>, Bob Headrick
<bobh@proaxis.com> writes
>When buying new cartridges look for the "install by" date on the package.

Drifting off topic, but I have been buying bottles of (Canon) toner for
my Canon copier and I can't find any best before dates on them, but they
work fine (just looked at a bottle of developer can't see anything on
that either). I suppose the other option is that I'm going blind!

--
Timothy
Anonymous

Even though this new cartridge is from a remanufacturer, the critical
issue seems to be how one goes about analysing where the problem might
be Clearly it could be at least one of these:

a)bad ink in cartridge:

unlikely given the blot test shows three colours.

b)bad contacts on the cartridge:

possible, but this is a second cartridge from a remanufactuer, so
possibly unlikely

c)bad contacts cartridge cage:

possible, but more likely the ribbon connector?

d)failure at the other end of cable:

possible, difficult to check without disassembly

e)flash corruption:

Unlikely either in file or RAM as CRC (I'm guessing) reported "flash
successful".

f)Other hardware failure:

but why do POST diagnostics not say so?

What's bad here is the absence of any internal diagnostics from HP that
say that the printer is not functioning as it should be The engineers
have clearly tried to anticipate what might go wrong in terms of a
POST, and the positions of the cartridge trays attempt to signal this
The POST says all is OK, but I reckon the printer should report that
something's wrong. It reports if the cartridges are short of ink! If
it's a RAM, or other hardware failure, which is responsible, I guess it
could have been overlooked. Still, there are ways of checking for RAM
failures - computers depend on this after all.

What we have here is the user knowing that something's wrong, but the
printer behaving as if there's nothing wrong. In my book, that's "bad
computing/engineering".

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. They have helped mine. Any further
suggestions obviouslly welcome.
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 8, 2005 3:21:06 AM

Tony wrote:
> "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote:
>
>><adriennebottomley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>This is a brand new colour cartridge and I am puzzled as the test
>>>prints look just like the ones I was getting when I though the old
>>>colour cartridge may have run out of some of the colours except
>>>magenta. I put the printer away for a year, and only recently decided
>>>to get a new pair of cartridges. Could it really be something wrong
>>>inside the printer? If so, I suspect there's nothing cost effectively
>>>to be done about it. It had hardly been used when this problem first
>>>surfaced.
>>
>>No, it is *not* the printer, it is the cartridge. You can confirm this by
>>carefully blotting the printhead on a damp tissue - you will see only magenta,
>>not yellow or cyan. A fresh new cartridge will solve your problem. Look for
>>the "install by" date when buying a new cartridge. It is also not the
>>contacts, as for two colors to be out would require 8 separate pads to not
>>make
>>contact.
>>
>>Check the warranty date as shown at
>>http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=e...,
>>would bet you have a very old cartridge.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP
>

> Bob
> The poster reported identical results from 2 cartridges, hence the diagnosis.
> Tony

Don't discount the possibility of two bad
cartridges in a row. I had a failure of the
electronic board in a 4 year old gas furnace.
They tested the board and it was bad, so they put
in a new board, but there was still a problem.
After futzing around for about 2 hours trying to
find the problem, they got the smart idea of
replacing the new board with another new board.
Worked fine indicating the first brand new
replacement board was bad. The techs had never
seen that.
September 8, 2005 4:13:30 AM

"George E. Cawthon" <GeorgeC-Boise@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>Tony wrote:
>> "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote:
>>
>>><adriennebottomley@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>>No, it is *not* the printer, it is the cartridge. You can confirm this by
>>>carefully blotting the printhead on a damp tissue - you will see only
>>>magenta,
>>>not yellow or cyan. A fresh new cartridge will solve your problem. Look
>>>for
>>>the "install by" date when buying a new cartridge. It is also not the
>>>contacts, as for two colors to be out would require 8 separate pads to not
>>>make
>>>contact.
>>>
>>>Check the warranty date as shown at
>>>http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=e...,
>>>would bet you have a very old cartridge.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP
>>

>> Bob
>> The poster reported identical results from 2 cartridges, hence the diagnosis.
>> Tony
>
>Don't discount the possibility of two bad
>cartridges in a row. I had a failure of the
>electronic board in a 4 year old gas furnace.
>They tested the board and it was bad, so they put
>in a new board, but there was still a problem.
>After futzing around for about 2 hours trying to
>find the problem, they got the smart idea of
>replacing the new board with another new board.
>Worked fine indicating the first brand new
>replacement board was bad. The techs had never
>seen that.

Fair comment George, my understanding from the original post was that the two
cartridges had the same missing colours.....however we should never overlook
the possibility of two bad cartridges.
Tony
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 8, 2005 4:13:31 AM

<Tony> wrote in message news:p art1of1.1.wy0tgthAYd2ALA@ue.ph...

> Fair comment George, my understanding from the original post was that the two
> cartridges had the same missing colours.....however we should never overlook
> the possibility of two bad cartridges.

The first cartridge had been sitting for a year or more in an unused printer; I
would discount this failure as not entirely unexpected, depending on how the
printer was stored. As for the second cartridge, the two outer chambers (cyan
and yellow) are the most susceptible to shelf life storage issues.

If the original poster still has the original cartridge here is a test. (Do
not do this with a cartridge you care about, but let's assume that this
cartridge is bad at this point....) Soak the printhead head down in 1" or so
of warm water for 10 minutes or so. Take the cartridge out and let it dry.
Now try printing a self-test diagnostic test as shown at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us...
Use the diagnostic test - with the power on press and hold the power button,
then press the X button eight times rapidly (while still holding the power
button) then press the formfeed button four times rapidly, then release the
power button. At this point you should have nozzle patterns of weak (watery)
cyan and yellow and OK magenta. If this is the case get a fresh new cartridge
and your problem is solved.

If the problem were an electrical issue the printer would give an error message
about a defective cartridge as the printer does an electrical test of both
cartridges before a print job.

Regards,
a b α HP
September 8, 2005 4:41:47 AM

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 21:05:20 -0700, "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com>
wrote:

>No, it is *not* the printer, it is the cartridge. You can confirm this by
>carefully blotting the printhead on a damp tissue - you will see only magenta,
>not yellow or cyan. A fresh new cartridge will solve your problem. Look for
>the "install by" date when buying a new cartridge. It is also not the
>contacts, as for two colors to be out would require 8 separate pads to not make
>contact.
>
>Check the warranty date as shown at
>http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=e..., I
>would bet you have a very old cartridge.
>
>Regards,
>Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

Have HP cartridges got suddenly less reliable then? Because this is
after two different cartridges? You mean to say that *both* are
damaged including the new one the OP specifically bought to see if it
was the printer or the cartridge?

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

"Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message

> Have HP cartridges got suddenly less reliable then? Because this is
> after two different cartridges? You mean to say that *both* are
> damaged including the new one the OP specifically bought to see if it
> was the printer or the cartridge?

No, the first cartridge was very old, and stored in an unused printer for a
year or more. It may have run out of ink before it was stored. The second
cartridge is not an HP cartridge and I cannot say anything about its status
(other than it appears to be DOA).

Electrically the cartridges (and the associated contacts, flex cable, head
drive ASIC, etc) are OK or the printer would provide an error. It does a
rather extensive electrical check of the cartridge at power-on and before
printing.

Regards,
a b α HP
September 8, 2005 4:43:13 AM

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 07:04:10 -0700, "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com>
wrote:

><adriennebottomley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> It does look like a hardware problem in the printer though ;-(
>
>Sorry, I still do not buy that. What is the date on the cartridges as shown
>at the warranty page I gave earlier? What is the "install by" date on the box
>(if you still have it)? It is not uncommon for a user to get multiple old old
>cartridges from the same source, or to have cartridges sitting in a drawer for
>a few years. When they try two cartridges they believe the printer has failed
>when in fact they just have two very old cartridges.
>
>An electrical problem that affects only cyan and yellow but not magenta is
>simply not likely.
>
>Regards,
>Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

You are still missing the point that the OP BOUGHT A NEW CARTRIDGE AND
HAD THE SAME RESULT.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 20:15:34 -0700, "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com>
wrote:

>"Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>
>> Have HP cartridges got suddenly less reliable then? Because this is
>> after two different cartridges? You mean to say that *both* are
>> damaged including the new one the OP specifically bought to see if it
>> was the printer or the cartridge?
>
>No, the first cartridge was very old, and stored in an unused printer for a
>year or more. It may have run out of ink before it was stored. The second
>cartridge is not an HP cartridge and I cannot say anything about its status
>(other than it appears to be DOA).
>
>Electrically the cartridges (and the associated contacts, flex cable, head
>drive ASIC, etc) are OK or the printer would provide an error. It does a
>rather extensive electrical check of the cartridge at power-on and before
>printing.

Agreed. However, we had one where it didn't report any error at all,
but refused to print magenta (or any combination thereof). This was
using all HP cartridges and with a couple of new ones as well (we
usually have a small stash as they're the general office printers -
and yes, they were 6 months in date <g>). Whilst it may have been
something repairable, it just wasn't worth the hassle. We just bought
a new printer.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com