Liquid cooled 805 at 51 degrees idle!

gdskater

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
I just put a computer together with a pentium d 805 and a liquid cooling kit from pcwatercoolingshop hoping to get close to the results in the article on tomshardware. I didn't install any drives yet because I just wanted to test the performance of the cooling equipment. All I did was boot to bios and moniter the temperatures while the computer sat idle and they maxed out at 51 degrees celcius! This is far hotter than I expected. What could be wrong?

Heres a pic of the setup (note the bubbles from the humidity)
CIMG0378.jpg

tmodel1937

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
I will assume that youre no novice, but maybe you should check on how the waterblock is seated, I should think even a poor system would do better than that. Be sure you are actually flowing coolant through the system, the air bubbles are worrisome.

Aids

Distinguished
May 16, 2004
Well first of all your going to have to let it sit and get all the air bubbles out of it. I can see, or at least its what i think i see, a bunch of places in the tubing where there isnt any liquid at all. So you should get all the air out of it let it run for a little while. If that doesnt work, defenatly try reseating the block and make sure you use the appropriate amount of thermal paste.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I am curious as to the location of your reservoir. There are a few reasons why it is always recommended that you place a reservoir higher and above a pump. Pumps were designed to push water through a cooling loop. Their ability to draw in coolant is not near as good. Having a reservoir that is higher allows gravity to assist in this motion. Also, air bubbles in any course of the loop will affect its efficiency (especially if any are trapped in the pump housing. The way that you have that loop designed, the highest point is located in the radiator, followed by the CPU water block. This design will increase the likely hoos that air bubbles can become trapped in either of those two components.

Move the reservoir to above the pump (even if that means getting a different reservoir). Also, from the pumps out take to the CPU waterblock intake, I would move the tubing to the lowest connector and have the highest connector of the waterblock going to the radiator. Any air trapped in the waterblock is going to try and remain at the highest point of the water block, which makes moving it difficult if the exit point is at the bottom. Having the exit point of the coolant at the top will create a better channel for the air to more easily travel out of the water block.

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
The condensation in your res implies that the water is quite hot. The water would need to be about 50 deg to form some kind of condensation!

Are you willing to buy a bigger rad.... you only have a single rad and honestly that may not be enough for an oced 805....

You can try to cool the water by getting a bigger more beefy fan for the rad???

Even try to get two fans in push pull orientation on the rad because at the moment you only have one!

Also the water is really really really green..... did you put the right concentration of additive to your water? Are you sure you didnt go overboard with that hydrex stuff? Because if you put too much it actually dulls the preformance of your water cooling set up, Adding too much hydrex prevents the water from picking up heat. The hydrex stuff is there to prevent bacterial growth and act as a lube for the pump, its also an anti freeze but I see no TEC in the pic.

If you didnt seat the water block correclty onto the CPU your temps would be high!
HOWEVER, this dude has condensation in his res which implies that there is heat going into the water, which means his water block IS probably seated correctly afterall!

gdskater

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Yes, my waterblock is seated correctly, and the water is picking up the heat from the cpu quite nicely. This is also just after I turned it on; 5 minutes later and all the bubbles were gone, however the temp still remained at 51 degrees. I knew the water was removing heat from the cpu because all the lines were hot. The resevoir was also hot, thus showing the condesation. And the green color of the liquid is the 10% antifreeze I added to the distilled water.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
If you've got heat being transferred into your cooling system and it is remaining to the point where it creates condensation within the reservoir than the fault is going to lay with its proper efficiency at removing tha heat. If you are going to keep the configuration as it it then the rad/fan setup is not doing its job as needed. That looks to be a dual-pass rad. Is that a high enough cfm fan? You could try adding a fan on the other side to create a "push-pull" configuration. Adding shrouds to the rad would help also.

gdskater

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
I think because the hoses connected to the rad are at the bottom and all the heat on the suface of the rad remains at the bottom, there is a massive air bubble in the rad. Also my setup runs from resevoir to pump to water block to rad. Would it be better to be set up res to pump to rad to water block?

atp777

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I suspect your problem is that you're sitting in the BIOS and not booting an OS with power management abilities. Every computer I've worked with, even my new notebook, seems to run as if at full-load until linux or windows is running and resources are more carefully managed.

I would have to agree with this. My system runs about 3-5 degrees C hotter in the BIOS than when I boot to windows. Install an HDD and Optical Drive, install an OS and check the temp then.

tik

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2005
Would it be better to be set up res to pump to rad to water block?

The answer is NO. Your cycle is correct

Seem to me that the heat remain in the loop so the problem should be radiator. As Phreejak said try to remove air from it. Did you feel warm air out of radiator? Should be much more heat from power supply unit huh?

One thing: I don't see water in the intake hose to the pump.

Another thing: Is reservoir intake and outtake direction correct? check with your maual.

I strongly doubt that the flow rate is too low and the problem is the air in the loop. I pretty much suspect the air in the rad.

Good luck and tell us what you get sofar.

gdskater

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Yes it must be air in the rad because the bottom of the rad is steaming hot but the rest of it is cool. Also, the air from the fan on the rad isn't hot at all.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I always keep my rads positioned in such a way that the intake/outtake connectors are at the highest points so that air has an easier path to leave.

gdskater

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
I mounted the rad upside down so the barbs are at the top. It now seems to be stable at 36-38 degrees in the bios. So it must have been an air bubble. Is it necessary to have your resevoir as the highest point in the system?