16 Bit Program Problem

Running XPHome with SP2

1) All of a sudden 16 bit programs won't run. When I try to start
them, I get a message box titled 16 BIT MS DOS SUBSYSTEM. The message
reads; "C:\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
running MS DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to
terminate the operation."

2) System Restore will not work. I had the problem a few days ago and
an HP support analyst toald me that it's not uncommon after installing
SP2. He sent me to a website for a patch which enabled it to run
after installing SP2...the patch worked.

I don't know if this issue is also related to SP2.
3 answers Last reply
More about program problem

    Hi

    1. Please see if the following article helps:

    "Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows Based
    Program"
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

    2. What, if any, error messages do you see when trying to use SR, or won't
    SR restore any of the checkpoints?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Dick Reuben" <dickre@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Running XPHome with SP2
    >
    > 1) All of a sudden 16 bit programs won't run. When I try to start
    > them, I get a message box titled 16 BIT MS DOS SUBSYSTEM. The message
    > reads; "C:\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
    > running MS DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to
    > terminate the operation."
    >
    > 2) System Restore will not work. I had the problem a few days ago and
    > an HP support analyst toald me that it's not uncommon after installing
    > SP2. He sent me to a website for a patch which enabled it to run
    > after installing SP2...the patch worked.
    >
    > I don't know if this issue is also related to SP2.

    Hi Dick,

    You might like to check out the information in these two threads:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=5f6f139.0409140618.749324fe%40posting.g
    oogle.com
    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=8PCdnSzBqtmadsPcRVn-gQ%40comcast.com

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Dick Reuben" <dickre@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Running XPHome with SP2
    >
    > 1) All of a sudden 16 bit programs won't run. When I try to start
    > them, I get a message box titled 16 BIT MS DOS SUBSYSTEM. The message
    > reads; "C:\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
    > running MS DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to
    > terminate the operation."
    >
    > 2) System Restore will not work. I had the problem a few days ago and
    > an HP support analyst toald me that it's not uncommon after installing
    > SP2. He sent me to a website for a patch which enabled it to run
    > after installing SP2...the patch worked.
    >
    > I don't know if this issue is also related to SP2.

    "Dick Reuben" <dickre@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Running XPHome with SP2
    >
    > 1) All of a sudden 16 bit programs won't run. When I try to start
    > them, I get a message box titled 16 BIT MS DOS SUBSYSTEM. The message
    > reads; "C:\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
    > running MS DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to
    > terminate the operation."
    >
    > 2) System Restore will not work. I had the problem a few days ago and
    > an HP support analyst toald me that it's not uncommon after installing
    > SP2. He sent me to a website for a patch which enabled it to run
    > after installing SP2...the patch worked.
    >
    > I don't know if this issue is also related to SP2.

    autoexec.nt is probably missing from your C:\windows\system32 folder
    you should have a spare copy in your \repair folder that you can copy over

Microsoft Windows XP