16 Bit Program Problem

November 11, 2004 11:46:49 PM

Running XPHome with SP2

1) All of a sudden 16 bit programs won't run. When I try to start
them, I get a message box titled 16 BIT MS DOS SUBSYSTEM. The message
reads; "C:\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
running MS DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to
terminate the operation."

2) System Restore will not work. I had the problem a few days ago and
an HP support analyst toald me that it's not uncommon after installing
SP2. He sent me to a website for a patch which enabled it to run
after installing SP2...the patch worked.

I don't know if this issue is also related to SP2.

More about : bit program problem

Anonymous
November 12, 2004 12:07:37 AM

Hi

1. Please see if the following article helps:

"Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows Based
Program"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

2. What, if any, error messages do you see when trying to use SR, or won't
SR restore any of the checkpoints?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Dick Reuben" <dickre@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Running XPHome with SP2
>
> 1) All of a sudden 16 bit programs won't run. When I try to start
> them, I get a message box titled 16 BIT MS DOS SUBSYSTEM. The message
> reads; "C:\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
> running MS DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to
> terminate the operation."
>
> 2) System Restore will not work. I had the problem a few days ago and
> an HP support analyst toald me that it's not uncommon after installing
> SP2. He sent me to a website for a patch which enabled it to run
> after installing SP2...the patch worked.
>
> I don't know if this issue is also related to SP2.
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 3:25:42 AM

Hi Dick,

You might like to check out the information in these two threads:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=5f6f139.0409140618...
oogle.com
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=8PCdnSzBqtmadsP...

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Dick Reuben" <dickre@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Running XPHome with SP2
>
> 1) All of a sudden 16 bit programs won't run. When I try to start
> them, I get a message box titled 16 BIT MS DOS SUBSYSTEM. The message
> reads; "C:\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
> running MS DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to
> terminate the operation."
>
> 2) System Restore will not work. I had the problem a few days ago and
> an HP support analyst toald me that it's not uncommon after installing
> SP2. He sent me to a website for a patch which enabled it to run
> after installing SP2...the patch worked.
>
> I don't know if this issue is also related to SP2.
November 12, 2004 6:36:16 AM

"Dick Reuben" <dickre@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Running XPHome with SP2
>
> 1) All of a sudden 16 bit programs won't run. When I try to start
> them, I get a message box titled 16 BIT MS DOS SUBSYSTEM. The message
> reads; "C:\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
> running MS DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to
> terminate the operation."
>
> 2) System Restore will not work. I had the problem a few days ago and
> an HP support analyst toald me that it's not uncommon after installing
> SP2. He sent me to a website for a patch which enabled it to run
> after installing SP2...the patch worked.
>
> I don't know if this issue is also related to SP2.

autoexec.nt is probably missing from your C:\windows\system32 folder
you should have a spare copy in your \repair folder that you can copy over
!