Shoto

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
I just got a new comupter and was transferring and installing the software and had to restart after installing a cd/dvd burning software, during the restart the comp froze on the 2nd windows screen. I tried restarting the comp several times but did the same thing everytime. I tried doing F8 to go into safe mode but it would take me into a boott order page instead...

I am using Win XP serv pack 2
Asus M2n32
WD Raptor 150gb as boot disk
WD Caviar 500g x2 in Raid 1

I had had the system running for just a little over a day installing software and doing restarts just fine, until this restart there was a Nvidia dual display software that was not responding and had to be ended.

any help or tips i can try?

Thanks

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I'm looking into attaining the same mobo, but to get into safe mode proporly you'll need to wait for the "sweet spot" where you PC is leaving POST and starts reading your drive. You should be able to get there by pressing F8, then select the drive you have your OS installed on. Once you press enter windows should immediatly load, so once you select your boot order, fire away at F8. You should see results then.

You may need uninstall, or fire off System restore, but in my experianc just reinstall the OS and avoid the drivers you used the first time. (along with the burning software) Which CD buring software wanted you to reboot? Just curiouse becuase most now a days dont require it.

Shoto

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
Thanks for replying, i got into the Advanced Optuons menu to try Safe Mode, but it hung up every time trying every option at the same spot, the second windows load screen ( Light blue with dark blue at top and bottom that says Microsoft Windows XP in the middle). I am starting to think windows is corrupted or my hardrive is screwed. So i can still not get into windows or any kind of prompt. I think i am just going to try to return the Hard Drive as defective.

The program that had asked froa re-start was Roxio Easy CD & DVD Burning.

Thanks

Shoto

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
Update i unhooked all my drives and threw in a blank drive that i had laying around and tried to do just a regular windows install when i got to the point to select a drive there were no disk options, any option i choose at this point sends me to a blue screen, 0x0000008E error. I also tried different SATA cables. So i guess i am going to have send the whole computer back. Any other options anyone can think of?

Thanks for the help.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Let us know what happens, like I said, I'm looking at that board ( $$$ ), would like to know about any real-life issues people are having.

Have you verified the ram you are using is suppored for the board by ASUS?

Shoto

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
Ok update time, I did use the memtest program for 9 hours it did 13 passes and found no errors, the memory i am using is Corsair XMS 2 pc6400c4 it is supported by the board. On a whim i decided to reset the bios settings to default. I hooked up all my drives and restarted my pc. On the intial startup i had a boot disk failure and inserted the Windows disk to try to get it to reload the OS and it actually found my drives, so i am going to try to delete / format the boot disk and re-install windows and start again.

Thanks for all the help and advice.