Sign in with
Your question

Drive not showing full capacity

Last response: in Storage
September 17, 2006 10:19:12 PM

I have a seagate 7200rpm sata 1.5 250gb hard drive that is not showing the full capacity of the drive. It is supposed to show 250 but i can only use 130gb of this space. i tried using a bios update from the website but it did not work. any ideas?
September 18, 2006 12:04:01 AM

Quote:
well, i thought this was going to be a noob post about it not showing exactly 250 and i was partly right.

due to a MB being made of 1024 bytes and not 1000 you always ge less than the advertised capacity. it's dumbed down advertising and i hate it.

No wonder I only got back 279GB out of a 300GB drive ....
September 18, 2006 12:14:02 AM

I have windows xp fully updated, i believe i have the latest drives for my mobo and everything like that so i dont think its an issue as to whether my computer is up to date or not. There are no partitions on the drive
Related resources
September 18, 2006 12:36:54 AM

See if there is an update for your motherboard BIOS that supports 48-bit LBA.

Edit: Oops, saw in your first post that you already tried a BIOS update. Might want to call the manufacturer and find out why the update didn't work. If your Windows is updated to the latest and you still can't see more than 127GiB/137GB, it's definitely a BIOS issue.
September 18, 2006 12:40:49 AM

Well, in my case, I just had upgraded to an ASUS P5B motherboard when I noticed the same thing on my IDE-0 Western Digital 250GB drive.
It was showing only 30GB in Windows XP SP2. So I did some cable swishing to the sides & found that I had forgotten to change my HD from cable select (CSL) to MASTER, the Pioneer burner to SLAVE from CSL. On this ASUS mobo CSL posed a problem amongst other issues I had, not relevant to this topic. I placed the HD on the ribbon cable's last header connector (the one on the very end which is 5 inches from the second one) & the burner on the 2nd header.
I turned the system on & WALA!!!. It was fine. I hope this may be of some help to ya.
Later.
September 18, 2006 12:59:02 AM

Right click "MY COMPUTER",select "MANAGE",then select "DISK MANAGEMENT".It should show you the entire hard drive,including non-partitioned part of the drive[which shows in black].right click in the black section and select "CREATE PARTITION".make it a primary partition and then click next.and follow the instructions as i have given them to you.you will just need to keep clicking next until it starts formatting the partition.then just leave the computer alone until the formatting is done.once it is done open my computer and make sure you see all the harddrive as it should be.goodluck.

Dahak

EVGA VF4 SLI MB
X2 4400+@2.4 S-939
2 7800GT'S IN SLI MODE
2X1GIG DDR400 MEMORY IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
520WATT PSU
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR
3DMARK05:11,582
September 18, 2006 2:02:47 AM

Quote:
well, i thought this was going to be a noob post about it not showing exactly 250 and i was partly right.

due to a MB being made of 1024 bytes and not 1000 you always ge less than the advertised capacity. it's dumbed down advertising and i hate it.

No wonder I only got back 279GB out of a 300GB drive ....

It's cause humans measure the drive's capacity in decimal form, computers measure it in either binary or hexadecimal (base 16).

To the OP: If you're running pre-SP2 (or was it SP1??) Windows, then your OS can't recognize over 127 (or whatever than number is) GB on a hard drive.
September 18, 2006 2:43:52 AM

Quote:

still that does not explain why it is so low. have you got any partitions on it. also are you running the latest windows with all the updates.

How were you "partly" right? You're not right at all considering what the question was. You just explained some non sequitur 1000/1024 issue. Your first two paragraphs are way off, and the second does nothing - nothing at all - to help out the matter at hand.
a b G Storage
September 18, 2006 4:26:37 PM

Does the bios show the drive correctly as far as the model number?
Are you running windows xp sp1 or later? If not update to at least sp1 which address this problem.
Go into drive management, right click my computer select mange, and see what it shows. You can then partition the drive how you like.
Let us know what you find out.
September 18, 2006 5:55:37 PM

I just can't believe you can be partly right for telling a guy with a 250GB hard drive showing up as a 130GB that he shouldn't expect 250 because it's actually around 230. Where did the other 100GBs go?
September 18, 2006 6:07:44 PM

You were not right at all. This is not a noob's post. Stop trying to rectify your failure.
September 18, 2006 6:30:06 PM

what did you creat your partion with/on? If you created the partion with a 98 boot disk and didn't specifically tell it you have a large disk or you created the partion before the BIOS update, just kill the existing partion and recreate it as an NTFS drive using XPSP2.
September 18, 2006 6:53:53 PM

If none of these suggestions work for you, download the Seagate disk utility and use it to format and set up your drive. BTW, it will work for other brands as well (you'll need a floppy drive).
!