How much space is really available on an SD card??

January 18, 2005 8:30:33 PM

I'm working with a Dell Axim X3, running Windows Mobile 2003 (not SE), and I
have a variety of SanDisk SD cards ranging from 128Mb to 512Mb.

I recently decided to copy some of my music file collection to a 256Mb card.
Using an audio converter, I converted about 150-160 .MP3's to .WMA format.
Total size for all of these files is less than 220Mb.

But, when I try to copy these files to the 256Mb SD card, via ActiveSync, it
will only copy about 160Mb worth, before popping up an error window saying
"...there isn't enough room to continue.... please delete files and try
again, blah. blah, blah..."

Three different utilites all verify that is there is PLENTY of room left -
after 160+Mb of music files, PPC File Explorer, Resco File Explorer and
Sprite Space Detective ALL tell me there is at least 80+Mb remaining... so
why can't I copy more than 160Mb??

TIA

More about : space card

January 18, 2005 9:18:12 PM

hmm, seems I answered my own question...

I reformatted the card and all seems well now...

"johnm" <whatever@user.net> wrote in message
> I'm working with a Dell Axim X3, running Windows Mobile 2003 (not SE), and
> I have a variety of SanDisk SD cards ranging from 128Mb to 512Mb.
>
> I recently decided to copy some of my music file collection to a 256Mb
> card.
> Using an audio converter, I converted about 150-160 .MP3's to .WMA format.
> Total size for all of these files is less than 220Mb.
>
> But, when I try to copy these files to the 256Mb SD card, via ActiveSync,
> it will only copy about 160Mb worth, before popping up an error window
> saying "...there isn't enough room to continue.... please delete files and
> try again, blah. blah, blah..."
>
> Three different utilites all verify that is there is PLENTY of room left -
> after 160+Mb of music files, PPC File Explorer, Resco File Explorer and
> Sprite Space Detective ALL tell me there is at least 80+Mb remaining... so
> why can't I copy more than 160Mb??
>
> TIA

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 2:16:08 AM

If you have copied all the songs to the \ folder and if the card is
formatted with FAT then you reached the limit number of files in the root
folder - this is a limit in the FAT table, and comes since the MS-DOS/PC-DOS
times.

If you move the files to a folder or reformat the card using FAT32 you
should be ok. Note that some digital cameras will not recognise the card if
it's using FAT32., since most don't implement this standard.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
http://www.geekmac.com

"johnm" <whatever@user.net> wrote in message
> I'm working with a Dell Axim X3, running Windows Mobile 2003 (not SE), and
> I have a variety of SanDisk SD cards ranging from 128Mb to 512Mb.
>
> I recently decided to copy some of my music file collection to a 256Mb
> card.
> Using an audio converter, I converted about 150-160 .MP3's to .WMA format.
> Total size for all of these files is less than 220Mb.
>
> But, when I try to copy these files to the 256Mb SD card, via ActiveSync,
> it will only copy about 160Mb worth, before popping up an error window
> saying "...there isn't enough room to continue.... please delete files and
> try again, blah. blah, blah..."
>
> Three different utilites all verify that is there is PLENTY of room left -
> after 160+Mb of music files, PPC File Explorer, Resco File Explorer and
> Sprite Space Detective ALL tell me there is at least 80+Mb remaining... so
> why can't I copy more than 160Mb??
>
> TIA

January 20, 2005 2:16:09 AM

Thanks for the heads up!!
I hadn't even thought about the file system.

Since I formatted that 256Mb card and resolved my problem, I wasn't aware
that the file system itself was to blame.
Seems those SanDisk cards I've been buying are coming out of the box as
FAT16.
It isn't until I reformat them (using PocketMechanic) that they get changed
to FAT32...

Thanks.

!