Which CPU fan fits onto the GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6, upto $65?

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
In an effort to not Hijack someone else's thread I've started a separate one.

Well I got rid of the ASUS P5B mobo & went & got the GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6 Mobo. Paid $239 for it. Now I've learned a harsh lesson. The THERMALTAKE SILENT-775 CPU cooler won't fit onto the mobo due to the QUAD copper cooling system above & below the mobo that this beast has built onto it. the fan's locking screws do not reach all the way down past the mobo mounting holes like it did on the ASUS P5B.
In case you ask yourself, "Why doesn' t this great $45 SILENT-775 CPU fan this knucklehead has won't fit" here goes...

1- The giant QUAD copper cooler this mobo comes with can't be removed without breaking the seals underneath the mobo once the 8 spring loaded tabs have been released & the 3 screws near the CPU socket have been removed.
Thus, most likely, voiding the warranty before I even get a chance to power this beast of a mobo up for the 1st time.

2- Then, the 4 screws the thermaltake fan I have just barely reach past the 4 holes on the mobo.

3- Then, there is the huge copper heatsink on the bottom of this mobo.
I think this is unique to this design.

Thanks in advance guys.

H-E-L-P???

rr44

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
This was precisely what the anandtech reviewer had pointed out in their first looks for this Board.

May be you forgot to pay attention to it. I would suggest going back and lookig up the anandtech review and their suggestion if any.

I do not overclock so the supplied heat sink fits pretty good and is quiet.