File security

I had Windows XP Pro on my comupter with two users setup. It crashed. Then
I installed Windows XP Home Edition without wiping the disk so the original
files were still there. But now I can access those files, it says 'Access
Denied' even though I am the computer administrator. Any ideas or help would
be great. Thanks in advance.

-Harbir
2 answers Last reply
More about file security

    Harbir wrote:
    > I had Windows XP Pro on my comupter with two users setup. It crashed. Then
    > I installed Windows XP Home Edition without wiping the disk so the original
    > files were still there. But now I can access those files, it says 'Access
    > Denied' even though I am the computer administrator. Any ideas or help would
    > be great. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > -Harbir
    Probably need to take ownership of the files.
    Check the link below.

    gls858

    Hi,

    You need to take ownership of them. Right-click the folder, select
    properties. Go to the security tab and click advanced. You can take control
    of the folders on the owner tab. For the security tab to appear in a WinXP
    Pro system, you must disable simple file sharing in the control panel/folder
    options/view tab. For a WinXP Home system, you must restart in safe mode and
    logon as administrator. More details here:

    HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421]
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    An additional note for WinXP Pro users: This procedure will not help you
    recover data if the files are encrypted. All you will be able to do is
    delete them. To recover encrypted files you will need the original
    encryption certificate or a Recovery Agent from the installation under which
    they were encrypted. Without one of these, the files are not recoverable.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Harbir" <Harbir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I had Windows XP Pro on my comupter with two users setup. It crashed.
    >Then
    > I installed Windows XP Home Edition without wiping the disk so the
    > original
    > files were still there. But now I can access those files, it says 'Access
    > Denied' even though I am the computer administrator. Any ideas or help
    > would
    > be great. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > -Harbir

Security Microsoft Windows XP