dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
When I first got my 3700+ w/stock HSF it would idle right around 29-31c degrees, around this same room temperature. Under load, it would rarely get above the load 40s.

Now I notice it often idles at 33-38 and under load can get up to even around 50c...

Any ideas why the chip may be running hotter now than it used to?

arrowman

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Gravity... Or dust.

You're HSF is slowly pulling away from the chip's heat spreader under its own weight.

You can try remounting, works the majority of the time...
Be tempted to get the adhesive version of AS5 or a HSF that bolts down.

It could just be dust slowing your fan(s)...didn't catch you have AMD the first read....

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Gravity... Or dust.

You're HSF is slowly pulling away from the chip's heat spreader under its own weight.

You can try remounting, works the majority of the time...
Be tempted to get the adhesive version of AS5 or a HSF that bolts down.

It could just be dust slowing your fan(s)...didn't catch you have AMD the first read....
Bad idea. Never use thermal adhesive unless you never, ever want the heatsink to come off again. It's ok when used on MOSFETS, graphics-card RAM, and sometimes NB/SB chipsets. It's most likely dust/hair coating your CPU's heatsink/fan, and case fans.....as well as other motherboard components. Give it a good cleaning out, all fans, heatsinks, and if your case has an air filter in front, clean that too. GL :)