P5b, DS3, S3 overclocking

notquitehere188

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
can all of these boards overclock similarly?
do DS3 and S3 use the same bios? so that i could use cheaper OCZ ram
will there be a performance hit with the S3?
i aam planning on getting one with my C2D

as a sidenote, what is a quality cheap board i can get for the pentium D 805, i was looking at asrock

Blown_65

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Not sure if you're still waiting for a reply, but.... I upgraded my Conroe system with the Gigabyte S3 and I have mine running easily at 2.8ghz. The only difference is that the DS3 offers is solid-state caps... to last 5+ years, but the S3 will still last 3+ years. (probably upgrade by then anyway) And... the S3 and DS3 do use the same bios, but they don't... They are labeled different at the website, I believe the DS3 bios is a higer number while the S3 is lower. (but basically the same) I would recommend the S3 because you get the same performance with a lower price tag. Not too sure about the Asus P5B... seems to be hit and miss, either it's awesome for some, or horrible for others. And as for that cheap mobo... why not just wait and save your money since you're planning on upgrading soon anyways? Good luck!

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Found this while looking for information on Google, so I am not sure how old this is... I am doing research into P5B Basic poor performance as a motherboard. Dont touch the Asus P5B