New Video Card causes No Operating System Found Error

kirkdickinson

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
I have a dual Xeon mobo. SuperMicro X5DA80. I have had an old Matrox G-450 card and even though I don't game, the old card is showing some age. The new Google earth has to run in compatibility mode because this card won't work properly with it. I was in Circuit City today and picked up a e-GeForce 6200. Not much selection anymore for AGP.

I came home and happily installed it. When I plugged in the power and rebooted, it recognized all my drives in the bootup, but then showed me the dreaded message "No Operating System Found".

No worries, right? I have seen this before and it usually means that I have unplugged the power or cable to the boot drive. Power down and check all cables. No joy.

Can't be a fried mobo or anything, I hope not.

I fire system back up and run the SCSI utility (my boot drive is an Ultra-320) and it verify's all A-OK.

Reboot---No Joy! No Operating system found.

I pulled the new card and put the old Matrox card back in and the computer booted up just fine into XP.

Now, I was thinking that maybe the new video card is too advanced for the old mobo. Some boards this old were only AGP 4x. I dig out the manual and there it says in the manual -- AGP 8X. New card is AGP 8x.

Do you think I have a bad card, or maybe it just won't work in this computer.

Thanks,

Kirk

kirkdickinson

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
Maybe I should just take this card back to Circuit City for a refund and order a
SAPPHIRE 100131L Radeon X800GTO 256MB GDDR from Newegg
for a few more bucks. I have been following the best AGP for under $130 and it looks like a better choice.

Kirk

kirkdickinson

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
The card does not have a power connector on it.

I don't remember the model of PSU, but it is a big one. This computer is a full tower with a dual Xeon Mobo and has 5 Hard drives, two of them Ultra320.

All the drives are recognized in the Bios and the boot drive can be verified in the SCSI utility, so I know it is spinning up.

I have also unplugged all the drives except for the boot drive and still get the error. If it were a PSU problem, that should have freed up enough power to allow the OS to load.

Thanks,

Kirk

atp777

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I am just wondering and it may make no difference at all, but does your motherboard accept AGP 8x? You said it was old. If it does not make sure the card can be set to 4x and/or motherboard set to 4x or 8x. Shouldn't be an issue, but it's what I could think of from the top of my head.

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Sounds like its time to flash your BIOS, thats the only thing I can think of at this point, otherwise im just sitting here scratching my arse on this one LOL

kirkdickinson

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
can you double check in your cmos and make sure you are not accidentaly changing the drive configuration when you put the new card in?

I checked that. When I put the new card in, the bios changed itself. It took the SCSI out of the boot and replaced it with IDE0 which is a data drive. I changed it back to the SCSI drive and it still wouldn't boot. I even double checked the bios to make sure that the changes kept.

When I replaced the old Matrox card, it didn't change the bios and it booted just fine.

Thanks,

Kirk

kirkdickinson

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
I am just wondering and it may make no difference at all, but does your motherboard accept AGP 8x? You said it was old. If it does not make sure the card can be set to 4x and/or motherboard set to 4x or 8x. Shouldn't be an issue, but it's what I could think of from the top of my head.

Yeah, I thought of that. I dug the old manual for the Mobo out and it says right there in the manual AGP 8.

Thanks,

Kirk

kirkdickinson

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
Sounds like its time to flash your BIOS, thats the only thing I can think of at this point, otherwise im just sitting here scratching my arse on this one LOL

I am going to take this graphics board back to Circuit City tonight and order one from Newegg. I was reading the thread about the best AGP for under $130 and I think I am going to try one of those.

If I have the same problems with the new board, then I will try flashing the BIOS. Or maybe give up and carry the whole mess over to a friend that builds more computers every day than I have built in my life.

Thanks,

Kirk

kirkdickinson

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
so does the scsi controller think your scsi drive is IDE?

I don't think I understand the question? The SCSI controller thinks the SCSI drive is SCSI.

I have seen windows recognize IDE as SCSI, but that was only when using IDE in a raid and that was through an IDE RAID controller. I don't know how a SCSI controller could see a SCSI drive as IDE? <confused>me</confused>

Prior working condition of the computer and current working condition of the computer has the BIOS with the SCSI drive as the *only* boot drive.

First boot after the new card, BIOS had reverted to an IDE drive as boot and SCSI wasn't. I fixed that in the BIOS and restarted and reviewed the BIOS after non-booting. The BIOS stuck with the SCSI as the one and only boot.

When I reinstalled the old Matrox card, the BIOS didn't change.

Did I answer the question?

Kirk

SanderElite

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
kirk, try taking out all the CD's and all the Floppy disk out of their drives.

If you had the computer unplugged for a while, chances are your cmos battery is dead and all the bios settings got reset. Boot to bios, and make sure your boot order is booting your OS hard drive first. better yet, unplug all hard drives, and cd drives, and floppy drives, except the hard drive the has the OS on it, then try to boot up.

anyway, i remember one time my friend had a problem like this. He said he spent 2 whole days trying to figure it out. Then he calls me up, I go to his house, take the CD out from his CD drive, and it loads up perfect. lol.

Morton

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
Kirk, if your replace the Gforce 6200 with an X800, could you please post here how the system works. I have a Radeon 9700 which I tried to replace with a Gforce 7800 GS half a year ago and I believe I had a somewhat similar problem. My Windows XP appeared to load, but it would stuck at the first loading screen forever whenever I tried to use the Gforce 7800 GS. My motherboard manual states that the AGP slot is 1x/2x/4x/8x, but ATI drivers and dxdiag show that fast write is disabled and Radeon 9700 running at 1x AGP. Apparently, Radeon 9700 can run at any AGP speed, whereas Gforce 7800 GS can run only at 4x or 8x. I would still love to upgrade to a newer AGP card, such as X800 or Gforce 6800, but I am not sure if it will work since Gforce 7800 GS didn't. Maybe flashing BIOS would help, but I am not an expert and I bet something will go terribly wrong.

kirkdickinson

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
what is happening is your bios changed the drive configuration probably because the cmos is not being saved. your boot menu may show the correct drive but the drive config is probably not right

I think the cmos setting is being saved because I have rebooted and gone straight back into the bios and the settings were saved. How can it list the correct settings there, yet not be the correct drive config?

Thanks,

Kirk

kirkdickinson

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
Nope, no CMOS Problem. Got my new card and installed it this weekend. Had the computer unplugged while doing install. All the CMOS settings stayed. New card ran fine.

ATI 100-435712 Radeon X850PRO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO AGP 4X/8X
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102606

The Mobo just didn't like the other card with the nVida chipset I guess. The ATI card is smoking fast compared to my old Matrox.

Thanks,

Kirk