Need Video Card Advice Please

Schwin47

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
Hey guys.

As you can see from the specs below, I have an aging system that I built in August 2004. I haven’t really kept up with the technology so much lately, as I hadn’t planned on making any changes for a while (it was running everything extremely well), so I’m of the hopes that you can offer some assistance with my current dilemma.

Formerly, I had an AGP eVGA GeForce 6800 128mb 128-A8-N343-AX installed. Unfortunately, it has taken to losing connection with the motherboard, and as a result, I am losing video. I am nearly certain this is the result of wear on the gold contact points, as moving the card in the slot, for quite a while, allowed me to re-establish the connection and restore video. I do not experience this with my substitute card (Rage Fury 128 Pro), and am certain it is the card, rather than the motherboard.

It seems to me that I’ll probably need to build another computer to run the best version of Vista, and even if not, I’ll probably be in need for a fresh build in a year, assuming I’m still gaming at that time. As a result, it seems illogical to buy a high end card now, since I don’t want to transplant an old video card in when I build the new one. On the other hand, I don’t want to take a step back from my former card, though I wouldn’t mind to have a little more power.

Money is a little tight at this time, so basically, I’m looking for a comparable card. I would prefer to stay under $150, but I’m flexible, assuming it takes more to break even with my old card. That said, I’m always willing to spend a couple more bucks if it gives me a huge power increase. In other words, money is really important, but I know you get what you pay for with this stuff. Optimally, I'd like to be able to overclock.

I’m thinking x850Pro or 7600GT, though I’d honestly rather not spend that much if it can be avoided. In any case, I don’t want to bottleneck myself and have regrets before my next build, and I wouldn’t mind granting this machine some additional life, if a strong card will go a long way toward that.

If you guys had my machine, what would you put in it?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for the input.

Tom

Below are my current specs.

Current Specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
MEMORY: 1GB Kingston PC3200 DDR RAM
MOTHERBOARD: K8N Neo Platinum
VIDEO: … Rage Fury 128 Pro …
Formerly: eVGA GeForce 6800 128mb 128-A8-N343-AX

zeroyb

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2001
I think X850pro will be good to get you through until you upgrade to Vista. It's gives good bang for the buck, and most of today's games run fine on it. IMO even Oblivion is playable on it (then again, maybe because I used to play Oblivion on my 9600xt lol).

cleeve

Illustrious
Save your cash for your next big upgrade and get an X800 GTO to tie you over. Should be in the $125 range.

Stay away from 6800 AGP cards like the 6800 GS or 6800 XT. The AGP version of the 6800 GS is very crippled compared to it's PCIe cousin, and the 6800 XT is simply bad for the money.

If you don't mind buying used, the 6800 GT is awesome thiough, if you can get it for $125. The X800 XL is also a great deal when bought used.

The 7600 GT is awesome if you can afford it though. But like I said, an X800 GTO should tie you over nicely.

Schwin47

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
Thanks for all the valuable input guys. I'm going to try and get and x850xt on ebay. We shall see what happens. Unfortunately I need to get it soon, so I may just drop the extra cash and get it new. This R128P is driving me mad, lol.

Thanks again.

Tom