Epson Stylus Colour 880 banding lines.

Both of my four year old Epson Stylus Colour 880 inkjet printers have
began printing photos with a series of equally spaced lines all the way
down the page. I've used none Epson cartrages for most of their life.
Many, many head cleans and a driver update have not resolved this
problem. Is it likely they have come to the end of their useful life?

If I'm looking at replacing both of these, what would be a good photograph
printer choice with regard to both quality output, speed and cartrage
replacement costs.
AL
6 answers Last reply
More about epson stylus colour banding lines

    Alan wrote:

    > Both of my four year old Epson Stylus Colour 880 inkjet printers have
    > began printing photos with a series of equally spaced lines all the way
    > down the page. I've used none Epson cartrages for most of their life.
    > Many, many head cleans and a driver update have not resolved this
    > problem. Is it likely they have come to the end of their useful life?
    >
    > If I'm looking at replacing both of these, what would be a good
    > photograph printer choice with regard to both quality output, speed and
    > cartrage replacement costs.
    > AL

    Before you toss in the towel, have you tried a cleaning cartridge? Also,
    you mention running many head cleans but did you know that the pressure
    increases with each successive uninterrupted head cleaning sequence from
    the internal pump? In other words, don't stop each time to test it, just
    run 5 or 6 cleanings in a row.

    If you have tossed in the towel I suggest looking at the Canon IP series
    printers starting at the model 4000 and up.

    Many thanks to you both, can I ask for the web link to Arthur Entlich's
    cleaning manuel for Epson printers, as my personal email request has
    bounced.

    AL

    On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 00:24:19 +0100, Burt <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote:

    > Arthur Entlich's

    Sadly, this sounds like the "stuck nozzle" issue which there seems only
    one real fix for, a new head.

    If you wish to send me a jpeg of a 2 x 2" area or equivalent, showing
    the defect in question you may do that so I can see exactly what it is.

    This type of defect may come and go for a white, cleaning will not help.

    If this type of printing occurs outside of the margins of the image,
    raising the paper thickness lever doesn't help lessen or eliminate it,
    or it may dissappear when you use lower resolution printing, that
    implies the problem is as I stated above.

    If you want to send me some print scan samples:

    e-printerhelp(at)mvps(dot)com

    (at) = @
    (dot) = .

    The 880 is a 4 color printer, and the last one with no chip in the
    cartridge to prevent refilling, it isn't considered "photographic"
    although you'd be hard pressed to know by looking at normal viewing
    distances. 4 color printers save money and give a better color
    permanence in inks of similar types. It will not be an easy printer to
    replace.

    Art

    Alan wrote:

    > Both of my four year old Epson Stylus Colour 880 inkjet printers have
    > began printing photos with a series of equally spaced lines all the way
    > down the page. I've used none Epson cartrages for most of their life.
    > Many, many head cleans and a driver update have not resolved this
    > problem. Is it likely they have come to the end of their useful life?
    >
    > If I'm looking at replacing both of these, what would be a good
    > photograph printer choice with regard to both quality output, speed and
    > cartrage replacement costs.
    > AL

    Regarding head cleaning escalation, as I understand it, for this to
    occur, a nozzle check must be done in between each cleaning.

    In the case being referred to, I do not believe any head cleaning will
    help, if I am understanding the nature of the printing defect, as he
    explains it.

    Art

    tomcas wrote:

    > Alan wrote:
    >

    >> Both of my four year old Epson Stylus Colour 880 inkjet printers have
    >> began printing photos with a series of equally spaced lines all the
    >> way down the page. I've used none Epson cartrages for most of their
    >> life. Many, many head cleans and a driver update have not resolved
    >> this problem. Is it likely they have come to the end of their useful
    >> life?
    >>
    >> If I'm looking at replacing both of these, what would be a good
    >> photograph printer choice with regard to both quality output, speed
    >> and cartrage replacement costs.
    >> AL
    >

    > Before you toss in the towel, have you tried a cleaning cartridge? Also,
    > you mention running many head cleans but did you know that the pressure
    > increases with each successive uninterrupted head cleaning sequence from
    > the internal pump? In other words, don't stop each time to test it, just
    > run 5 or 6 cleanings in a row.
    >
    > If you have tossed in the towel I suggest looking at the Canon IP series
    > printers starting at the model 4000 and up.

    On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 11:37:25 +0100, Arthur Entlich
    <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote:

    > Sadly, this sounds like the "stuck nozzle" issue which there seems only
    > one real fix for, a new head.
    >
    > If you wish to send me a jpeg of a 2 x 2" area or equivalent, showing
    > the defect in question you may do that so I can see exactly what it is.
    >
    > This type of defect may come and go for a white, cleaning will not help.
    >
    > If this type of printing occurs outside of the margins of the image,
    > raising the paper thickness lever doesn't help lessen or eliminate it,
    > or it may dissappear when you use lower resolution printing, that
    > implies the problem is as I stated above.
    >
    > If you want to send me some print scan samples:
    >
    > e-printerhelp(at)mvps(dot)com
    >
    > (at) = @
    > (dot) = .
    >
    > The 880 is a 4 color printer, and the last one with no chip in the
    > cartridge to prevent refilling, it isn't considered "photographic"
    > although you'd be hard pressed to know by looking at normal viewing
    > distances. 4 color printers save money and give a better color
    > permanence in inks of similar types. It will not be an easy printer to
    > replace.
    >
    > Art
    >

    > Alan wrote:
    >

    >> Both of my four year old Epson Stylus Colour 880 inkjet printers
    >> have began printing photos with a series of equally spaced lines all
    >> the way down the page. I've used none Epson cartrages for most of
    >> their life. Many, many head cleans and a driver update have not
    >> resolved this problem. Is it likely they have come to the end of
    >> their useful life?
    >> If I'm looking at replacing both of these, what would be a good
    >> photograph printer choice with regard to both quality output, speed
    >> and cartrage replacement costs.
    >> AL

    Art

    Many thanks, an image is on its way to you for analysis. Perhaps I should
    mention that after every printer clean a test print was made.

    AL

    On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 11:37:25 +0100, Arthur Entlich
    <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote:

    > Sadly, this sounds like the "stuck nozzle" issue which there seems only
    > one real fix for, a new head.
    >
    > If you wish to send me a jpeg of a 2 x 2" area or equivalent, showing
    > the defect in question you may do that so I can see exactly what it is.
    >
    > This type of defect may come and go for a white, cleaning will not help.
    >
    > If this type of printing occurs outside of the margins of the image,
    > raising the paper thickness lever doesn't help lessen or eliminate it,
    > or it may dissappear when you use lower resolution printing, that
    > implies the problem is as I stated above.
    >
    > If you want to send me some print scan samples:
    >
    > e-printerhelp(at)mvps(dot)com
    >
    > (at) = @
    > (dot) = .
    >
    > The 880 is a 4 color printer, and the last one with no chip in the
    > cartridge to prevent refilling, it isn't considered "photographic"
    > although you'd be hard pressed to know by looking at normal viewing
    > distances. 4 color printers save money and give a better color
    > permanence in inks of similar types. It will not be an easy printer to
    > replace.
    >
    > Art
    >

    > Alan wrote:
    >

    >> Both of my four year old Epson Stylus Colour 880 inkjet printers
    >> have began printing photos with a series of equally spaced lines all
    >> the way down the page. I've used none Epson cartrages for most of
    >> their life. Many, many head cleans and a driver update have not
    >> resolved this problem. Is it likely they have come to the end of
    >> their useful life?
    >> If I'm looking at replacing both of these, what would be a good
    >> photograph printer choice with regard to both quality output, speed
    >> and cartrage replacement costs.
    >> AL

    Art

    Both attempts at emailing you off list were met with the following message
    and it seems possible that you will not receive them now.
    Can I instead ask for a copy of your cleaning manual for my Epson 880
    printer please, which will allow me to try cleaning the printer heads.

    This message was created automatically by mail
    delivery software.
    A message that you sent has not yet been delivered
    to one or more of its
    recipients after more than 24 hours on the queue
    on violet.srv2.com.

    The message identifier is: 1EDMg1-0002L5-3A
    The date of the message is: Thu, 08 Sep 2005
    14:42:39 +0100
    The subject of the message is: Epson banding image
    enclosed

    Regards
    AL

    Reply email address: