Sign in with
Your question

TechDarling 2: Mothers Day Edition

Last response: in Site Feedback
May 11, 2007 2:16:03 AM

"Skip the flowers this year and tune in as Sarah from TechDarling gives you some last minute gift ideas for mom."

Video Link: http://www.tomshardware.com/site/flash_videos/techdarli...

TechDarling, the Blog Link: http://www.techdarling.com/

Products mentioned on the show:

kodak easyshare v803 (the black one, not the pink one) http://stores.tomshardware.com/search_getprod.php/maste...

Cannon digital photo printer version 720, (Not the 730 or 740 mentioned in the video)

KitchenAid cook for the cure series: All of these qualify for the matching donation bonus.

KitchenAid Hand utensil set

KitchenAid cook for the cure Pink mixer:

KitchenAid Cook for the Cure Tea kettle

KitchenAid Cook for the Cure 5 speed blender

KitchenAid Cook for the CUre 5 speed blender

abbi ny (no link available now)

DXG 506V (might not be the pink version)
May 11, 2007 2:29:35 AM

Is she stoned or something?
In the first video she was quite normal, but in this one what happened?!
May 11, 2007 3:53:06 AM

Haha.. No, I wasn't stoned! But that's hilarious.
Related resources
May 11, 2007 2:11:57 PM

Sarah, care to let us in on what you are getting your own mother?
May 11, 2007 2:49:48 PM

Do people stop rehearsing what they are about to talk (not reciting "the script", but at least go over what you talk about) in front of camera to portray it to make it look more human or something?

Even then, wouldn't there be anything like editing to reduce the "stoned" behaviour?

Dude, TGP studio is in LA for crying out loud.
May 11, 2007 3:03:42 PM

Quote:
Is she stoned or something?
In the first video she was quite normal, but in this one what happened?!

Its the overhead camera angle. I believe the camera was much closer to eye level for the last video and this one is looking down upon her. That and she seems to have gotten a hair cut. :D 
May 11, 2007 3:06:24 PM

Deda had a great question. Of all the items in the video and even those that are not... What tech gadgetry would you give your own mother?
May 11, 2007 5:30:29 PM

I wanted to give my mother a casemod, but the video for that isn't going up because of technical problems.

Of the stuff she mentioned, I think a camera would be the best idea, but I'm going to differ on cameras.

I'd pick something like a a Panasonic DMC FX 105. It has less megapixels, but has optical image stabilization, which is much more imporant for this use. and I'd pick blue, because I've been staring at nothing but pink stuff for the past three hours.

Panasonic DMC-FX105. Blue! Not Pink! Bwahahah!

I tried out the DXG 506 V camera. I didn't have the usage problems that the TechDarling had. The lens cap is crap, it appears to be a fixed focus lens, and it works very poorly in low light conditions, but it's still an interesting camera. We actualy used it in a test run, mounted on a i-robot roomba. (coming soon to the video section)
May 11, 2007 6:03:20 PM

Pink nightmares are uh coming for you. :lol: 

I gave my mother a similar model to the DXG last year and she found it difficult to use as well. Even the reviews on the page you linked to knocked it for difficulty in use.

I eventually took it back and gave it to my father for fathers day. He seems to like it. Perhaps it just doesn't strike the right cord with women? I may try out the Panasonic this year and see what she thinks.

Sounds like a fun video with the roomba. A mischievous mind could do some interesting things with those two items.
May 11, 2007 11:48:36 PM

Boring... If Tom's Hardware keeps putting a pretty face on screen with no apparent passion for what they do I'm just going back to the "other" site. No sense in wasting time with clueless pretty faces. Stoned yes, knowledgable... :?:
May 12, 2007 12:34:53 AM

Quote:
Boring... If Tom's Hardware keeps putting a pretty face on screen with no apparent passion for what they do I'm just going back to the "other" site. No sense in wasting time with clueless pretty faces. Stoned yes, knowledgable... :?:

I think you're being way too tough on her. Listen to it again, she sounds pretty interested in it.

About the 'stoned' thing: she's just talking in the same uneducated style that most teens/20's talk and write these days. They all think that grammar is the odd-smelling old lady at home. At least she didn't say "y'know its..like.. SO oh my god!" (but she does sound like it could happen at any second).

I will say that a supposedly technical review recommending a photo printer just because its tiny, and that "it has improved skin tone... reproduction whatever that is, but its something that you don't care about or ever think about" (sic) is asking for trouble from a technically aware audience.

However she is clearly emphasising and demonstrating that most women don't have a clue and DO totally ignore the quality, features and specs of a product and buy it only because its pink, sparkly, cute or small. They don't seem to care if its a bad choice or terrible product otherwise.

She IS recommending what to buy for your mum after all...But my mum would kick her ass.
May 12, 2007 11:47:40 PM

I saw you peeking at those side-notes off screen... cheater! :p 
!