| Help | qns regarding conroe

penguin1

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
before i lay my hands on one i would like to ask as much as i can.

I'm intending to get a E6600

from intel, i know that the highest temp the 6600 can withstand is 60C.
may i know what is the Average temp of the 6600 during idle and the temp during gaming with the stock intel cooler?

another qn is, how far can i overclock(stable) a E6600 with the stock intel cooler? & a thrid party cooler(say the artic cooler 7 pro)

I tried finding many online reviews but they are all give very different answer.. and i wasnt happy with what i got becuz it olny made me more disorted. So i was hoping that someone here actually has real hands on experience on this

thanks in advance.

*please don't tell me stuff on the other chips. i'm looking specifically at the E6600. >< thanks.*

Not an extreme overclocker so my E6600 is only clocked at 3.0GHz using Corsiar XMS2 DDR2 675 (PC54000) RAM. That's 333.33GHz x 9 mulitplier.

I didn't bother with the stock cooler. I installed the Scythe Ninja HSF. Idle temp is about 42C, load temp is around 54C.

The Core 2 Duo CPUs can withstand more than 60C. When I first installed the Scythe Ninja, it was not seated properly. Under load the temp was 72C and operated just fine. The mobo didn't even throtle down the CPU. Reseating the HSF did the trick.

mark8987

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
The reason the online reviews are inconsistent is because the answer is inconsistent. The amount of overclock depends on the motherboard, ram, and the particular chip - some E6600's will overclock better than others. The temperature again depends on things like fan, case, and ambient temperature.

All you can do is get an E6600, arrange the most favourable conditions, eg, case, fan, motherboard, and hope for the best.

Fyi, my E6600 runs around 40-44 degress celcius at 3.4 Ghz with a scythe ninja plus, antec p180 and asus p5w dh deluxe. It could possibly go higher, but there is no need to push it any further at the moment.

penguin1

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
i see ur point. thanks.

actually it's becuz i intended to get a 800MHz ddr2 and by getting the 1:1 ratio i have to up the FSB to 400MHz, therefore a 3.6GHz

mark8987

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
I have 800mhz ddr2 as well. You will find that you can increase the FSB in 1 Mhz increments, so I have it set at 378Mhz. This is close to the 400mhz that the ram is specced to, and is greater than the next lower speed grade - so getting the 800mhz ram wasn't a waste.

You will find though that 400mhz FSB is pushing it a bit, not in terms of the ram, but the motherboard. From what others have written, it is on the edge of what the motherboard is capable of. Hence, by having the FSB a bit lower, you can guarantee stability, and the speed is almost the same as well.

aequalsb

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
It's 85C if you use Core Temp to measure. It's a differnt way of calculation and the author tried his best to follow the DTS(in TM2) created by Intel.

3.3Ghz is the minimum for the cooling you're using with a BMW E66... I meant E6600. There's no definite limitation.

I know you said E6600, but i got the E6300 and it sat @ about 95C for about 5 minutes before i noticed the cpu fan was stuck on a wire. It still runs like a champ. Dont know what would've happened if i left it running longer tho.

I'm sure the Engineers specifications have a little cushion for safety.

Andy