Bluetooth connections with PocketPC's advice

January 19, 2005 3:50:27 AM

Group,

I've done some more research on this complex topic lately that some have
brought to the attention of the group.

It looks at least to me like most Windows Mobile device OEMs are using the
Bluetooth 1.1
standard. That standard allows for 75 2.5 GHz channels, each of which can
be used for connections. So, in theory, if your device is using v1.1,
multiple devices should not be a problem at least according to theory. The only
catch in this would be
if an OEM chooses not to use the full 1.1 standard (i.e., limit the number
of channels or some other limitation).

No warranty or guarantee implied! :-D However it sounds like most users should
be good-to-go on multiple BT connections, and I should know as I have tested it
myself in my own home and work.

Regards,
-------------
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor
Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
http://www.clintonfitch.com
management@clintonfitch.com

Visit our Forums! http://www.hpcfactor.com
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 2:14:03 AM

Not quite. The frequency is the 2.4GHz ISM band.

The channels are not independently managed in 75 channels. They're used in a
piconet to spread the channel usage and avoit interference with other
piconets around or other 2.4GHz devices, like microwave ovens, DECT phones,
Wireless LAN interfaces, microwave telco stations, etc.

Up to 7 devices can participate in a piconet. One device will be selected as
a master, and it will give a kind of a heartbeat to the piconet. The slaves
will follow the master. This heartbeat will control which channel is being
used at any time, and each transmission is in a new channel, but not
simultaneously.

The multiple connections between Bluetooth devices is not consequence of the
multiple channels.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
http://www.geekmac.com

!