ATITool - Mystery to me

Gee-MAN

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Greetings Everyone, The mystery involves the 'ATITool version 0.24' . I downloaded it last night for the first time.

Readings as follows: from the pull down menu 'overclocking'

Catayst Version------------ 5.5+
Device ID------------------- 0F02
Chip Type------------------- 0xF02
Memory Size---------------- 0mb
Memory Band Width-------- 64bit
Active Pipelines-------------- 4
Default GPU Clock----------- 23.45 Mhz
Default Mem Clock---------- 1.00 Mhz
CONFIG_DIE_FUSES-------- 0x990
CONFIG_SUBSTRATE_FUSES- 0x990
CONFIG__ROM_FUSES-------- 0x99c

I have an ATI X850 PRO - Brand NEW - (stock). Are these readings in the ATI Tool CORRECT ???
I wanted to check to see if the other 4 pipes could be opened up !

My Rig: My first build, Dec., '03

Intel P4 - 2.8Mhz - 800 FSB w/ZalmanCNPS7000A-ALCu cooler
Windows XP Home
ASUS P4C800 deluxe mobo
Corsair - 'Twin' 512mb XMS Platinum RAM
Vantec 420 volt PSU w/ 3 fans
LASTEST & LAST UPDATE TO THIS RIG: VGA CARD
ATI Radeon X850 PRO - 256mb vid card w/ Artic Cooling 5 rev2. cooler
WD - twin 80gb HDD / RAID 0
Liteon DVD/RW - Asus CD ROM - Floppy Drive - ZIP drive
Lian Li 6010 aluminum case/ 3- 80mm intake fans in front / 2 - 80mm exhaust fans in rear/ 1 -92mm side fan

Any help appreciated.

Sincerely,I am,

The Gee-MAN

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
What ATITools show you doesn't make any sense. 23 mhz VPU, 1hz memory, 4 pipelines???? Compare this to 12 pipelene and 500+ mhz!!!With that you wouldn't even see you desktop without lag.

Maybe you should try PC Wizard 2006 (google search should tell you where to find it) and check the video tab. SANDRA also might help to tell you exactly what you've got.

I wouldn't try to unlock the other 4 pipes to go to 16. Too much chances it won't work and kill your card. That's like playing the "russian roulette", you have more to loose than to win.

trinitron64

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
if you want to see if those are the correct speeds....

try running an mpeg?

opening a 3d game?

hell id like to see a 2d game run on that.

If ANYTHING runs... which im sure it does... then yes those reading are incorrect

Gee-MAN

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Greetings Everyone, Thank You All for your insights into to my post. What was wrong with the ' ATI Tool version 0.24 ' (strange readings), in my original post ......I'll never know !

I downloaded ATI Tray Tools & have ascertained that my new (stock) ATI X850 Pro vga card has:
500 core clock speed
499.95 mem speed
12 pipes operating
ATI catalyst drivers version 6.6

This ATI ' X850 Pro ' has the YELLOW vivo connector.
GPU core chip is #R481.
Board ram is 1.6ns SAMSUNG.
Board seriel # from the paper label on the board begins with #'s: 18052................
BIOS: 009.008.001.004
BIOS part #: 113-A47503-103

I'll keep trying to find a vga utility to read the CONFIG fuses # data to ascertain if it could be opened up to (16) pipes. I will post it back up when I get that data.
Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on the info above from my card as to whether or not it may have the possibility to be opened up to (16) pipes ???
I'm really not an overclocker until possibly now, I'm really considering OC'ing this card if it has the ability to go to (16) pipes ! It seems challanging = good brain exercise in my humble opinion .

Sincerely, I am,
The Gee-MAN

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
prozac seems right. I would update your castalyst control center and then get ati tool .25

I never use it to overclock my card. I use it to tweak the fan settings. My powercolor x1900xt runs hot as hell and ati manufactured it to run quiet. If you use varying fan settings then you are able to specify that when the gpu hits a certain temp then you can have it run at a specified fan temp. Good luck man

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005
What was wrong with the ' ATI Tool version 0.24 ' (strange readings), in my original post ......I'll never know !
It's older, and I don't think it supported X8xx cards. Just get 0.25.

actually ,it worked great with all 3 of my X8xx cards,however I had to use the beta 0.25 for my X1900XTX,but ya those readings are wrong..

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
While we're talking about ATI Tools, I've got a question for you guys.

I installed it about 6 months ago and make a check for overclocking potential, My Radeon 9800Pro went up about 50mhz GPU and 30+mhz for memory without artefact. I even played some Half-Lije after without any problem with the new clock speed.

Then, luckily for me, I set ATI Tools to start-up only when I ask , and not at start-up. Next time I went to use it, just when I click to start it, my computer frooze, leaving me no choise but to do a hard reset. I haven't used it since then.

I think I either have version 0.23 or 0.24. Would uninstalling it and installing the newer version would help me using it again? Anything to suggest.

Thanks for your input.

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
I will say this in regard to using it. I tried to see my limit on my x1900xt and I have heard many horror stories of people frying their cards. For a small performance gain in the scope of things I would rather not take the chance of frying my card. I tried it and my computer just reset at a certain point and I'm sure because the card overheated. I would just tell you this. Be very ver careful because many things play into this over clocking. You would need to use prime 95 to see how hot that thing actually gets under full load. The potential using ati tool doesn't test those clocks under full load for a long time. So though your card may hit certain clocks that doesn't mean that those clocks will be good when you have the card working at max capacity. Likely in those senarios the clocks that ati tool shows would fry the card under max capacity. I only use it for tweaking fan settings. I would suggest using a step by step guide if you are a beginner at gpu overclocks. Many important factors play into ocin a gpu.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Thanks a lot about your input. I had overclock my previous Radeon 8500 without any problems with another utility.

I guess my mistake was taking for granted that ATI Tools was making sure everything was stable, so I was only relying on it instead of using the usual precautions.

I've heard about Prime 95 but never used it before since I already had 2 utility reporting my CPU and Mobo temperature. I never even tought about checking my GPU one, since I have a side fan pushing cool air from outside my caswe directly on it from my side panel (my own work! :D ) and one taking a PCI slot underneat it puching it out, keeping a stready flow of fresh air.

I guess it's not worth it anymore since I'll shortly upgrade for something else, but thanks again.